Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/17/2016 5:38:14 PM EDT
I hate the reserve not met bullshit on Gunbroker. If a vendor wants X dollar for the damn thing then start the auction at the damn amount you want.

All I wanted was a Star PD 45 magazine. Auction started at $40, I watched it and no one bid. So I bid $40. Auction ends and the Reserve Price was $80. If you want $80 then price it at that the underhanded shit that is done on Gunbroker pisses me off. 

Look you fucking asshole Michelle Obama cunt sucking fucks. I don't want to playing shitty guessing games. If I did, I would have kept the Democrats in Congress so we can play the game of "we have to pass it to find out what's in it" shit. Seriously.... fuck you you shit-tarded ass fucks. I will find a witch doctor that can curse you and you can guess what the reserve is so your head doesn't shrink and your balls climb up into your throats. Maybe I'll have the fucker perform a Blood Eagle on you. Maybe I'll have them drop bullet ants into your asshole. FUCK YOU AND YOUR RESERVE NOT MET SHIT!
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#1]
3/10

Lots of cussing, but zero cause for action. Minimum bid sets the expectation for the order of magnitude, but reserve is what the seller is willing to settle for. Only bid on "no reserve" auctions if your skin's that thin.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Somewhere there is a old fart sitting there thinking he was fool enough to bid $40.00 so I will get more for it.

I agree OP, if I have something to put on a auction site I usually do either a BIN or a normal auction. A reserve is for peeps that have too much in a item in the first place.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:48:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
3/10

Lots of cussing, but zero cause for action. Minimum bid sets the expectation for the order of magnitude, but reserve is what the seller is willing to settle for. Only bid on "no reserve" auctions if your skin's that thin.
View Quote

All the other mags on GB are $75 to $80. I have no problem paying that.... especially since they're advertised at that price. But you're telling me if an item you want is at a lower price you won't buy it?
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Somewhere there is a old fart sitting there thinking he was fool enough to bid $40.00 so I will get more for it.

I agree OP, if I have something to put on a auction site I usually do either a BIN or a normal auction. A reserve is for peeps that have too much in a item in the first place.
View Quote

The vendor immediately relisted the item again at $40.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
3/10

View Quote

He is right, using a reserve is stupid and turns off a lot of potential interest. There is zero reason to use one.

If you can't sell for less than X, then start it at that amount.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Rserve auctions have been around for more than a minute.  Stop yer bitching.  Low opening bids are set to encourage bidding and draw interest, reserves are set t ensure a minimum price is met.  It isn't rocket surgery.  Shit's been around forever.  1/10 for ghey rant.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bid 40 immediately and watch his shills outbid you.
'Take note of them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:02:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
All the other mags on GB are $75 to $80. I have no problem paying that.... especially since they're advertised at that price. But you're telling me if an item you want is at a lower price you won't buy it?
View Quote

Of course I'd buy it cheaper if I could - but did you expect to get it half price on a reserve auction? N00b or whiner talk, that is.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Just filter out the reserve auctions.  Not worth the time.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Rserve auctions have been around for more than a minute.  Stop yer bitching.  Low opening bids are set to encourage bidding and draw interest, reserves are set t ensure a minimum price is met.  It isn't rocket surgery.  Shit's been around forever.  1/10 for ghey rant.
View Quote

Reserves cost more interest than a low bid generates. People lose interest when don't know how much you are asking.

Lots of people, myself included, usually quit looking as soon as I see its a reserve.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:03:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:07:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't waste your time with the reserve auctions.  9 out 10 times they are nothing more than fishing expeditions or guessing games.

A true auction will start at .01 or 1.00, no reserve, and at the end of predetermined time period the last bidder is the winner.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I bid on reserve auctions all the time.
Toss what Im willing to pay once and if it doesnt sell or goes over my bid,oh well.

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:12:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
He is right, using a reserve is stupid and turns off a lot of potential interest. There is zero reason to use one.

If you can't sell for less than X, then start it at that amount.
View Quote

This.  I despise that bait-and-switch shit.  Tell me what the fucking price is; don't waste my fucking time!  I always click the "no reserves" tab when doing a search.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Don't waste your time with the reserve auctions.  9 out 10 times they are nothing more than fishing expeditions or guessing games.

A true auction will start at .01 or 1.00, no reserve, and at the end of predetermined time period the last bidder is the winner.
View Quote

GB 15 minute rule is great if you're the seller and more closely resembles a real auction. I like it because it weeds out the snipers and helps bring top dollar
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:12:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Look at me, I am OP and I am angry because I do not understand how auctions work.

FYI reserves at an auction have been a thing since before the internet, and auctions always start with a low price so people will bid against each other.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:16:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

GB 15 minute rule is great if you're the seller and more closely resembles a real auction. I like it because it weeds out the snipers and helps bring top dollar
View Quote

Fuck that the 15minute rule is a scam and allows shill bidding to be much worse
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:17:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I hate the reserve not met bullshit on Gunbroker. If a vendor wants X dollar for the damn thing then start the auction at the damn amount you want.

All I wanted was a Star PD 45 magazine. Auction started at $40, I watched it and no one bid. So I bid $40. Auction ends and the Reserve Price was $80. If you want $80 then price it at that the underhanded shit that is done on Gunbroker pisses me off. 

Look you fucking asshole Michelle Obama cunt sucking fucks. I don't want to playing shitty guessing games. If I did, I would have kept the Democrats in Congress so we can play the game of "we have to pass it to find out what's in it" shit. Seriously.... fuck you you shit-tarded ass fucks. I will find a witch doctor that can curse you and you can guess what the reserve is so your head doesn't shrink and your balls climb up into your throats. Maybe I'll have the fucker perform a Blood Eagle on you. Maybe I'll have them drop bullet ants into your asshole. FUCK YOU AND YOUR RESERVE NOT MET SHIT!
View Quote

8/10 OP   I agree with you reserves and 15 minute rules are chicken shit tactics..   Gun broker is full of scam artists who use shill bidders.  

If you want $40 then just start the fucking thing at $40 if its worth more someone will bid more than $40 its not a hard concept.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you are correct, it does require a certain degree of self control and financial discipline.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:30:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:31:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup.... not a fan of that too.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:35:45 PM EDT
[#22]
I currently have an AK on gunbroker.  Opening bid was a penny, reserve was set at $5,000.

(it's a strategy to kick off a bidding war and drive the price up)

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:35:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yup.... not a fan of that too.
View Quote

just curious why? have you ever been to a real live auction ? the 15 minute rule most closely approximates what happens at a live auction. auctions aren't for everyone. how would you prefer they were run?
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

just curious why? have you ever been to a real live auction ? the 15 minute rule most closely approximates what happens at a live auction. auctions aren't for everyone. how would you prefer they were run?
View Quote

No reserves.... start it at the price you want and a solid end. Live auctions are a thing of the past. 
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:44:11 PM EDT
[#25]
You know, OP there is a, "Buy It Now" option. Who in the hell bids on shit anyway?
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:44:46 PM EDT
[#26]
7/10, because I've been there as well. Makes it incredibly frustrating, but it's how the game is played there.

I totally agree though, make the opening bid what the reserve price is.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:49:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Lots of people, myself included, usually quit looking as soon as I see its a reserve.
View Quote
I pass them right by.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:51:52 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't even look at reserve auctions.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:53:24 PM EDT
[#29]
I usually send them a msg asking for their reserve price so I'm not wasting my time or theirs.
Every time I've done this they reply with the price and no hard feelings if I don't buy.
I've haggled a few times and gotten what I needed at a fair price.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:59:58 PM EDT
[#30]
everyone knows Michelle O slings a cock.

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:05:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

No reserves.... start it at the price you want and a solid end. Live auctions are a thing of the past. 
View Quote

This...
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I usually send them a msg asking for their reserve price so I'm not wasting my time or theirs.
Every time I've done this they reply with the price and no hard feelings if I don't buy.
I've haggled a few times and gotten what I needed at a fair price.
View Quote

I usually ask for a "buy now" figure if one is not listed - has worked to my advantage a couple of times.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't like auctions. I never did. I don't have a GB account and probably never will. If you do the GB thing that's what happens. I do agree with OP start it at the price.
The EE has the same type of issue. You will see an ad for $700 firm. You offer a price to buy,they say no I would rather keep it at that price then 2 weeks later it is reduced to that price and sold.
Go figure.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:10:07 PM EDT
[#35]
You lost me when you referenced Michelle Obamas vagina, we all know she doesn't have a vagina
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Perhaps you'd like to try bidding again.  Maybe $40 will be enough this time.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#37]
I just look for the same item from another vendor when there is a reserve.  Don't have time for that shit.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

bid 79.99

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:18:40 PM EDT
[#39]
The stupid ones are where the seller puts what the reserve amount is in the description.  Just start the auction at the minimum amount you want.

I like the 15 minute rule but not where a bidder/shill waits until 1 minute is left, bids $5, loses and then resets to 15 more minutes. They then repeat a few more times extending the action by over an hour and exposing it to more bidders.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#40]
I go there when I want a good laugh.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:19:44 PM EDT
[#41]

For OP bitching about nothing at all.  Obviously you don't know how Gunbroker or eBay works and haven't actually sold much on there to know the strategies.  You bid, you didn't win, move on, try again or just get one that has a Buy it Now so your feelers don't get hurt.

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:21:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Look at me, I am OP and I am angry because I do not understand how auctions work.

FYI reserves at an auction have been a thing since before the internet, and auctions always start with a low price so people will bid against each other.
View Quote
A reserve is great is you're selling rare and collectible items. For an $80 magazine, quit the bullshit and just list it at your selling price.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:27:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:31:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
3/10

View Quote

This.

While the two seem redundant, they both have a purpose.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not really, Brand Used Works in Fallon, NV is a live auction house. They once had a full auto FAL, BAR, and M60 with a zillion rounds of ammo go for wayyy cheaper than market when some old dude died and his kids wanted that shit auctioned off.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Simple answer is don't bid on reserve auctions.

As a seller I never use a reserve because it has a substantial effect on bidders. You may not even get a bid, even if your reserve is reasonable.

Likewise I either BIN or find an auction without reserve. I don't have time to play that game. However, I don't begrudge somebody if they think a reserve is a good idea (it's not).
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:49:37 PM EDT
[#47]

Bleh  Triple K garbage.

Factory Star Mags work. Triple K is bullshit.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Simple answer is don't bid on reserve auctions.

As a seller I never use a reserve because it has a substantial effect on bidders. You may not even get a bid, even if your reserve is reasonable.

Likewise I either BIN or find an auction without reserve. I don't have time to play that game. However, I don't begrudge somebody if they think a reserve is a good idea (it's not).
View Quote

It really depends what you're selling.  I've never let a reserve stop me from bidding on something.  But I can see situations where it might turn some people away.

I think using a buy it now price with a reserve is more of a risk.  Most buyers would assume the reserve is close to the buy it now price.  With the AK I have on GB right now, I set the reserve at $5,000.  I was going to put up a buy it now of $7500 just for the rich collector who just has to have it... but didn't because I figured most people would assume my reserve was close to that.  The stupid high buy it now would have probably scared away too many potential bidders. My reserve was met about a week ago.

With rare, collectible things... reserves aren't going to hurt anything.  For something like a $30 magazine that is available everywhere... it's pretty stupid to bother with a reserve.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bet I know the reserve price.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I ignore any and all reserve auctions when looking and always start my auctions at what I gotta have.

Reserves are retarded.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top