Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2016 6:22:11 PM EDT
Can't afford 35% Blue Cross premium increase so I had to choose a lesser plan from them. Deductable $6500. Max out of pocket $7200.
Premium $560/mo.

While reading the fine print, my eyes popped out when I saw the $700 co pay for the hospital.  Between copays, premiums and out of pocket, I'm looking at $13,800 if I had a serious event like surgery on spleen or such.

This is for one 48 year old male.  I make good money. How the fuck can average income people afford this?
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 6:29:13 PM EDT
[#1]
FBHO  people were bitching that they raised the cost a few dollars, I told them to shut the fuck up and we are lucky
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't so I said fuck it and bought a car. I'll check back on insurance after Obamacare gets gutted.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 6:30:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank Obama. 
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I am only 26, while I am insured (overly). I never had anything major… I thought max out of pocket in your case was $7,200, don’t deductibles count toward that? Why would you pay $13,800?

Just curious, probably something I need to know now and not last minute surprise.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't have insurance. Back in September my appendix decided to say aloha snack bar 24hrs after closing on my first house! Well it didn't go all jihad but it was close to glocking itself so it had to go.

I was in  the hospital for about 14hrs and left AMA.

My total charged bills were a out $45k! After calling all of the providers and negotiating for about two months, I've paid everything off for about $13k. Still a shit ton but if I had insurance I wouldn't have been better off after premiums and all.

FBHO
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't so I said fuck it and bought a car. I'll check back on insurance after Obamacare gets gutted.
View Quote

That does help put it into perspective.

Unfortunately, we haven't heard anyone discuss real solutions. O-care has a minor impact on medical costs since it's subsidizing the insurance companies. Remove the subsidies, and the increases we've seen recently will seem inconsequential.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 6:43:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am only 26, while I am insured (overly). I never had anything major… I thought max out of pocket in your case was $7,200, don’t deductibles count toward that? Why would you pay $13,800?

Just curious, probably something I need to know now and not last minute surprise.
View Quote

He's calculating his monthly premium of $560x12 months in his total out of pocket. Which would be $13800
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

He's calculating his monthly premium of $560x12 months in his total out of pocket. Which would be $13800
View Quote

Oh okay, I see it now and that does suck. My premiums are up, but I did qualify for a subsidy and I am thankful for that.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 6:57:54 PM EDT
[#9]
your max out of pocket is $7,200 for the calendar year

my Blue Cross plan has a $5,000 deductible with $6800 max out pocket.  I've had over $200,000 worth of surgery this year and they stopped billing me after I hit the $6800 (which included ER co-pays)
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#10]
My hospital takes 40% right off the top if you do not have insurance and another 10% off if you pay in ten days. If not, they then put you on a " how much can you pay monthly" payment plan.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top