Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/14/2016 8:26:39 AM EDT
People are fucking stupid.
Today I almost get turned into a tractor-trailer pancake AGAIN because the stupid asshole in front of me decided to do his leisurely merge at a whopping 42 mph, on I-81 with semi trucks zooming by doing at least 75 in the right lane.. those guys can't always move over and yet these stupid assholes still insist on taking their sweet assed time doing 45 all the way to the end of the merge lane, then swerve over like it's your duty to make room for them instead of the other way around.
Why is it such a hard concept to grasp?? Press the pedal on the right, speed up, fit into the flow of traffic before your lane ends.. I think drivers are actually getting stupider.
Self driving cars can't get here fast enough, so they can take the responsibility away from the mouth breathers who are obviously incapable.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:30:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Easy fix when you sense one of those assholes.

Lay way back on the ramp behind them, let them merge/cause pile up, then if you've done your part you have enough room to achieve speed on the ramp.  Here in PA we are professionals at this since a lot of ramps have a stop sign or zero speed-up/merge area.

Edit - My personal hatred are the people who chicken out last second.  Getting up to speed on the ramp, someone is in front of you.  Both of you are about to merge, at speed, you're checking your mirrors.  The person in front of you pussies out at the last second, usually when you're checking the mirrors.  Takes an act of God to avoid the prick who just did a brake stand from 60mph when they had plenty of room to merge.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:32:52 AM EDT
[#2]
It happens a lot here in Knoxville too. I don't understand the logic behind it considering multiple cars are all looking to merge from the on-ramp to the interstate and one jackass isn't getting up to highway speeds.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Around these parts it's usually an early 2000s Subaru Outback being driven by a dyke with a bowl cut that is attempting this maneuver.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:34:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Lay way back on the ramp behind them, let them merge/cause pile up, then if you've done your part you have enough room to achieve speed on the ramp.  Here in PA we are professionals at this since a lot of ramps have a stop sign or zero speed-up/merge area.
View Quote

I do that a lot.  Hang back and time it so I can actually get up to speed.  Sometimes I pass that slow merger on the right and then merge in front of him, that way I can keep going.

I was lucky I didn't have that problem this morning because the guy in the right lane was doing 80+.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:34:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Yep, so many people refuse to recognize that the accelerator pedal actually goes to the floor.  It's pathetic.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:35:47 AM EDT
[#6]
It's bad enough when they can't match the speed of traffic but what really gets me is when they get to the end of the ramp, realize they can't merge smoothly into traffic because another vehicle is barreling down on them, and them hit the brakes in a panic!!!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:36:44 AM EDT
[#7]
They get bonus Dumbass Points for making everyone slow down, especially everyone in the right lane that they just cut off, then mash the pedal to outrun everyone.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:37:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Edit - My personal hatred are the people who chicken out last second.  Getting up to speed on the ramp, someone is in front of you.  Both of you are about to merge, at speed, you're checking your mirrors.  The person in front of you pussies out at the last second, usually when you're checking the mirrors.  Takes an act of God to avoid the prick who just did a brake stand from 60mph when they had plenty of room to merge.
View Quote

PA ramps and ramps in Birmingham, AL.  Scary!

I did have one asshole do the chicken out in Atlanta, merging from 400S to I 285 E.   They accelerated , I did too, then I turned my head to look at traffic.  Thank God I had a friend with me who yelled when they slammed on their brake, or it would have been close or really bad.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:38:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's bad enough when they can't match the speed of traffic but what really gets me is when they get to the end of the ramp, realize they can't merge smoothly into traffic because another vehicle is barreling down on them, and them hit the brakes in a panic!!!!
View Quote

Oh God, that's the absolute worst. They'll actually do like 55 all the way to the end of the ramp, then slam on the brakes waiting for cars to go by, then make their move at like 10 or 15 mph.. I think it should be legal to run them through an industrial sized wringer.. I really do.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:39:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Even better is when they merge at 50mph, then proceed to cut directly over to the left lane, while still doing 50.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:43:46 AM EDT
[#11]
We have on-ramps in downtown KC that might be 50 yards long. You think having a slow merger in front of you is frustrating? Try having them come to a complete stop at the bottom of the ramp; you'll want to rip your fucking hair out.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#12]
OP speaks the truth! I hate those retards. When I'm getting on I-35 unobstructed, I get some hardcore energy music going and I floor that shit so people know who the fuck the lord of the interstate is now
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:01:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Today I almost get turned into a tractor-trailer pancake AGAIN because the stupid asshole in front of me decided to do his leisurely merge at a whopping 42 mph, on I-81 with semi trucks zooming by doing at least 75 in the right lane.. those guys can't always move over and yet these stupid assholes still insist on taking their sweet assed time doing 45 all the way to the end of the merge lane, then swerve over like it's your duty to make room for them instead of the other way around.
Why is it such a hard concept to grasp?? Press the pedal on the right, speed up, fit into the flow of traffic before your lane ends.. I think drivers are actually getting stupider.
Self driving cars can't get here fast enough, so they can take the responsibility away from the mouth breathers who are obviously incapable.
View Quote

I'm beginning to teach my daughter to drive and giving her pearls of wisdom. This is one of them. Speed up and pick your spot to merge into.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:09:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Everyday without fail at least one car actually slows down on the on ramp on my way to work.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:38:22 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm with you on the mergers often being dumbasses, but some blame for the shitshow has to go to the tough guys who insist on cruising in the right lane and do their best to speed up and prevent anyone from merging in front of them.

How childish is that?

Not telling anyone to slow down for merging drivers. They should keep a steady highway speed so mergers can complete their maneuver.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:47:43 AM EDT
[#16]
That is extremely unsafe! It gets me all riled up when I see it also...
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:50:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

It happened to me one night in a downpour. I still have no idea why I didn't run over them.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:51:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Well for one, I am glad to know this isn't just a South Carolina driver issue.  I've actually followed a guy up an entrance ramp blowing my horn at him to get the fuck out of the way.  No fucking way was he going to merge at 25 MPH into rush hour traffic doing 70 on a entrance ramp that is just behind a blind curve.  
Not only are the drivers on the interstate coming around a curve to discover this entrance ramp, but it also comes up a hill where the road goes under the interstate.  The fucked up SCDOT needs to extend the entrance ramp into another lane for a good 1/4 mile or further so one can safely merge here.

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

It happened to me one night in a downpour. I still have no idea why I didn't run over them.
View Quote

Same here. Years ago I was merging at something like 6:30am. It was pitch black outside, raining lightly.  Came around a curving merge lane and there was a lot of construction cones and yellow flashing lights all along the entrance ramp.  Almost didn't see the dumb fuck parked right in front of me.  I swerved around him and missed him/her by inches.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Merging with speeding traffic. A very difficult concept for some people to understand. Traffic is moving at 65 or 70mph and they think they will smoothly merge in at 35mph. NOT!
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#20]
I've had people in front of me come to a stop on the ramp.  One morning on the way to work I was behind someone else on the ramp, I glanced over my left shoulder to see what the traffic looked like and when I looked back the guy in front of me was coming to a complete stop.  I smacked the gas pedal, jumped over to the right and went around him on the wide paved berm and accelerated down the ramp and out in front of the traffic he was stopping for.

Some people have no business behind the wheel of a car/truck.  Face it.  Computer driven/operated cars may be a blessing if it takes the dumbasses out from behind the wheel.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:55:19 AM EDT
[#21]
I saw the aftermath of a similar situation years back.

U-haul driver decided to merge unto I-44 doing 35mph.  The compact car that was directly behind him managed to get slowed down with hard braking.  The semi trailer behind him was not.  Poor guy never had a chance.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Sucking at merging should be a felony
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:59:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

It happened to me and didn't end well. I ran into the back of their truck. I broke my big toe because that's all I managed to get on the brake. I had work boots on and still broke my toe.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:00:35 AM EDT
[#24]
That shit (and more) happens during season down here. Even if you didn't know what month it is, it's easy to tell what season it is.

I was walking into a store, I was halfway across the road and this old guy comes barrelling through the parking lot. He comes about a foot from running me over. If I had taken one more step there is no way he could have stopped and I would have been roadkill. I waited for him in front of the store. I had a few choice words for him and he wouldn't even make eye contact with me. I didn't look but I can guarantee you he had NY, NJ or CT plates on him car.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Same. People around here drive 70mph through city streets only to try and merge onto the highway at 40.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:16:02 AM EDT
[#26]
When I'm on the interstate I like to look at the people merging. 90% of the time they don't even look in the mirror to see what's coming they just stare straight ahead. I don't move over anymore to let them in anymore. It's their job to merge not mine.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:22:29 AM EDT
[#27]
I used to have some really anemic cars (i.e. 15 second 0-60), and having asstards that can't merge in front of you is super dangerous when you NEED all the on ramp you can get.   Driving an underpowered car is like sailing a small boat, and the incompetent merging people are like jet skis cutting you off mid-tack.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It happens a lot here in Knoxville too. I don't understand the logic behind it considering multiple cars are all looking to merge from the on-ramp to the interstate and one jackass isn't getting up to highway speeds.
View Quote

People in Knoxville can't merge for shit. Both sides of 640 is fucked as is 140 to Lovell Rd. I'm glad I don't have to drive up there much anymore.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:30:28 AM EDT
[#29]
When I'm in the right lane and some asshole is trying to merge like that I just don't move. They need to learn that the people who are already on the highway have the right away. Merging doing 30mph less than traffic is dangerous.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:30:39 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm glad traffic is generally light enough where I travel  that I can pass them on the left as soon as the ramp meets the highway.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:32:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Anyone that does this should have their drivers license immediately revoked

Not only is it stupid, it's really dangerous
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:36:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Oh God, that's the absolute worst. They'll actually do like 55 all the way to the end of the ramp, then slam on the brakes waiting for cars to go by, then make their move at like 10 or 15 mph.. I think it should be legal to run them through an industrial sized wringer.. I really do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys would love Richmond. I deal with that maneuver every fucking day.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:38:31 AM EDT
[#33]
This is why I think ALL cars should be equipped with a Bluetooth microphone in them that will pair with the car directly in front of them.  When I hit my horn it should sync with the car in front of me so they can hear exactly what I have to say.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:39:53 AM EDT
[#34]
I hate those azzwholes who do 45 mph on an onramp.  If I'm following it means I'll be the guy who is rammed up because they can't figure out how to merge properly.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:42:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This is why I think ALL cars should be equipped with a disintegration ray.  When I hit my disintegration ray button it should disintegrate the car in front of me.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I got rear-ended once because of this. The car in front of me came to a complete stop at the end of the ramp. Fortunately I was able to stop in time, the lady behind me did not.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:46:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Aww hell, I wish the idiots around here could manage even THAT speed.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Apparently, in some states, the traffic in the right lane of the highway is supposed to yield to the incoming traffic.  I did not take my driver's test in one of those states, but have been told that certain northern and mid-western states are like that.  Can anyone confirm?

I am not disagreeing that even if that is what is taught, and is the law in some places, that you shouldn't match speed with the flow of traffic.  Just saying I understand why some people might not think they need to do anything special - and I plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:51:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Best merging ever near Minnetonka trying ti get on 494 or whatever the loop hwy is.

Off traffic must thread thru on ramp in the same 100 yard stretch of road. You must be on your game to complete this safely. Unless you are lucky and no traffic is present you must haul ass using most of a normal cars acceleration ability . 
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:53:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You guys would love Richmond. I deal with that maneuver every fucking day.
View Quote

QFT
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:59:51 AM EDT
[#41]
This and slowing to 45 to exit the freeway a 1/4 mile before the decel lane is SOP in WV.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

People in Knoxville can't merge for shit. Both sides of 640 is fucked as is 140 to Lovell Rd. I'm glad I don't have to drive up there much anymore.
View Quote

That interstate run thru Knoxville is insane, no doubt - WHY IS EVERYONE IN SUCH A DAMNED HURRY - sheesh. But, by far the most dangerous stretch of road in the South (other than any road inside the Atlanta bypass which is complete bumper-car loonie tunes) is that Donner Pass section of I-24 going through Chattanooga. The official playground of criminally insane drivers.

Honorable mention: Malfunction Junction in Birmingham, Rideout Road in Huntsville, and that stupid little 50 ft merge lane on I40 in Nashville - cant remember exactly where it is, but it is totally unsafe.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 11:10:09 AM EDT
[#43]
People in Nashville have no fear of death. They accept that they will die in a car crash, and overcompensate by driving like insane chimpanzees on meth in order to hasten the inevitable. Open letter to Nashville drivers: link
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 11:10:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

What mile marker?  I get on 81 daily as well...wondering if we're getting goat fuked by the same jackass?
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 11:11:46 AM EDT
[#45]
The older I get, the more I HATE people. Getting rid of 80% of the population would suit me just fine.
We can start with these merge-phobic shitheads. Followed quickly by left lane campers and ANYONE that drives a prius....
Then we follow up with saggy pants thugs that walk across the intersection extra slow just to piss me off.
next???
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 11:13:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  I drove a diesel Rabbit for years, and planning ahead was the only way to merge safely.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 11:22:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This and slowing to 45 to exit the freeway a 1/4 mile before the decel lane is SOP in WV.
View Quote

You ain't kidding.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 11:27:11 AM EDT
[#48]
It's annoying where ever in the heck you are.  
Turn onto a road with a car in front of you?
That fucker absolutely must not use the skinny pedal.  
I don't mean you have to hammer it.
Just sort of act like you are fixing to maybe start to apply some form of propulsion some goddamned time this year.  
As far as onramps, you fucking get on it like you have a pair because that's what you are supposed to do.  
The idea is a non stop flow of traffic.  

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#49]
merging onto the interstate at 45mph, traffic is going 80mph, 45mph merger is digging down into their fast food bag of garbage not paying a single bit of attention to a thing going on around them
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 11:33:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Some people just don't get that when you hit the on ramp you need to start getting up to speed quickly, then spot where you plan to merge in, and then shoot for it. I almost got plowed by a semi because fucking grandma Moses decided it would be a good idea to try to merge on the freeway at 30 mph.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top