Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2003 9:10:36 AM EDT
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SADFHnsUUdMDDXxRfZvfTjLn8mbDLLz77kp2XiGPXHOJUZzbZBW5iZFmfBxRdOEPhtKhkuh5Mj6KMUqZ3i1K2fsc8*qTLUTEhM9CHOxb4BTYb1QYwXb9dA/Model%2097.JPG[/img]

They recently just started importing Norinco copies of the Winchester Model 97 (Army Model 1917) Trench Shotgun. I've always wanted one but never had $3,500 to blow on a shotgun and was thinking about buying one of these.

The obvious problem is the Norinco manufacture as they are world reknown for producing stamped stell, ill fitting, semi reliable but generally crappy firearms. So far the reviews I've read are from the guys who love their CAI guns and think the SKS is a swell rifle. Not exactly a endorsement.

Now it doesn't have to be perfect. Given that it is a Norinco it won't be. It just has to be made at least as well as say a Mossberg. So anyone have any first hand experience with one?
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:17:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I have.  When I was on a police department in the early 1970's, they actually had a few of the originals left in the shotgun racks.  I think they were given to the PD by the military after the military quit using them.  I shot those, but they were pretty worn.

I saw the Norinco copies at the SHOT Show and they looked pretty good up close.  I didn't get to fire the reproductions.

One word of warning...the design allows the top of the action to slide back when cycled and it can easily cut the top of your right hand open like a razor.  A bad design.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:17:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I've held one.It is a decent replica.

IMO,Styer,(no offense)But Norinco makes a FINE SKS,and CAI....well....Norinco makes a FINE SKS.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Styer Ima gunna do you a favor. One of the shops i frequent has 4 97's sitting on the rack and if i remember right atleast one was a military gun. I'll check them out tomarrow when i go to by some surplus 06 ammo. If the price isn't up there in the nutsoid range, I'll let ya know. last one he had went for $1200
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:30:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

One word of warning...the design allows the top of the action to slide back when cycled and it can easily cut the top of your right hand open like a razor.  A bad design.
View Quote

My brother has my Grandfathers original Commercial Model 97 so I am aware of the action thing. But thanks for the warning.

Just how John Browning made them.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:45:17 AM EDT
[#5]
lol..these things are goin for like 400bux here, a buddy at gun shop is sitting on 4 of em..i personally would geta win. or rem. first.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:51:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I own a PLA manufactured Trench gun. Outside it looks great with good polish and bluing. But there are sharp edges on the bolt that need to be removed or you will slice your thumb like OP said (I did it). Like all PLA- manufactured stuff, it has lots of machining marks inside the receiver and bolt - kinda like it was gnawed out of a block of steel by a big buck-toothed chinese beaver. For $350 out the door, I am happy with it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#8]
SteyrAUG The Norinco Trench gun and the new S&W 1911 are on the very next two gun buys I am doing. Let me know how you like it when you get it in, OK?
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:38:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
SteyrAUG The Norinco Trench gun and the new S&W 1911 are on the very next two gun buys I am doing. Let me know how you like it when you get it in, OK?
View Quote

Will do but you buy that S&W and we will revoke your license. [:D]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I have an original commercial model lurking in one of my dad's closets.  Bear in mind that the pump is not even comparable to a modern shotgun.  It takes a lot more muscle to operate than my 870, or even my Norinco Ithaca knockoff.

Also, bear in mind that all Norinco imports have been cut off for 2 years, because the administration found out that Norinco was selling missile parts to Iran.  If you find one that you like, snap it up, because we're at the start of a huge drought of these guns.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:46:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:55:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Gun Tests got ahold of one and liked it, though I don't remember the details. Like Camera man said, if you want one, get one because now they are banned.
View Quote

Probably good advice. Might wait and see what the new Group Buy rules are in a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 11:27:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Shotgun News did a review of this exact shotgun a few issues back (05/03/2003) with the M1917 bayonet attachment.  Seems like a nice one just to have around
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top