Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2003 8:33:45 AM EDT
..and actually goes? [;)]

I currently work out at home, and run outside like God intended (no faggity-ass treadmill or stationary bike for me thank you).  But I've been thinking of joining a gym to get access to more equipment (I'll still run outside thank you very much).
What's the protocol like for waiting for equipment someone else is using?  How do you deal with that in your workout?  It seems like that would make for a very uneven workout having to work around other people.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:36:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I was going like 5 days a week with my friend but he left for the summer so now I am down to like 3 days a week.... BUT I have been jogging instead of going to the gym.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:39:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I go late at night [work 2nd shift]and don't have a problem usally.But I have weights at home to balence out if it gets to busy at the gym [Moores],
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:53:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Re-hit the gym three years ago ,got the wife to join a year and a half later, we work out three days a week and do cardio 4 times a week.
The funny thing is I thought it would be killer to get back into working out after an 8 year lay off and it sure as shit was a fucking killer,I am never going to stop again, it is way to hard to start over, I did it but with much pain and even more just plain soreness.
When you go back after a lay off you tend to think (really stupidly) that you will pick up where you left off.
If you saw me get out of bed the next day after the first day back you would all have laughed your asses off, I walked like the mummy and I know I felt worse then a one.

If you had a big lay off you need to go back slooooooooooooow and easy.
The major pain is long gone and the benefits of working out are evident in your everyday life.

Remember the same way you got out of shape is the same way back, one (sore) step at a time, LOL
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:54:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:57:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I did for years...now the prices are CRAZY, full of punk kids and you have to pay for frilly crap that doesn't belong in a REALL gym. Gyms cater towards chubby housewives...they could care less about the needs of someone that actually wants to train hard.

As far as protocol...JUNGLE RULES. If I was throwing back 110's on a flat bench, I would expect a housewife not to ask to work in w/ me. It's commonsense. Just like I wouldn't try to do bicep curls in the power rack when a powerlifter is working on his squat. For the most part I would wear headphones so that you could politely ignore people [:D]

All that being said, I only got in to about 3 pissing matches in 10yrs of being at commercial gyms...all ended peacefully.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:00:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a membership, but haven't been in months.  I need to get back in there.

[NormFromCheers] I just joined a gym today.  They have a great snack bar.[/NormFromCheers]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I belong to the Gym Of Nuke (tm).  Dumbells in 5 lb increments from 15 to 60, a power rack w/ lat attachment, bench w/ leg extension, EZ bar, and 300 lb weight set and I can do enough exercises to constantly mix things up and get a good workout.  And I probably spent less than a 1 or 2 yr membership to a gym.

-Nuke

Edited to add:  I workout 4 times a week around 5 in the morning while the family sleeps.  There is no way I would be able to make it to a gym as consistently as that.  On top of that, it takes a lot less time as I dont have to prepare and drive to the gym.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:27:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:56:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I joined 24 Hour Fitness, and quite enjoy it.  I love it that they have dumbells that go from 1 lb all the way up to 125 lbs.  I generally workout around 4:30am, so I never have to wait for anything.  I worked out in the evening once....never again!  It's great for scoping out the ladies, but terrible if you're trying to SERIOUSLY get a workout.

As for running on treadmills, if you lived in the Pacific Northwest, you would too (unless you like getting soaked with rain)!
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:59:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I go 5 days a week.  Body building is my hobby.  Summer is here time for hte shirt to come off.  When winter gets here is bulking time
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:11:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I go 9 times a week (three days I go twice).
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#12]
5 times a week

Free Weights and Cardio
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#13]
boxing gym count?

I go to a local boxing gym 3x weekly and run 3x a week. Only 2 miles a run, but it helps.

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#14]
9 times a week is a little much.  YOu have to give your body time to recover or your gains won't be that good.  One muscle group a day is my favorite with a rest day after deads and squats.  Elitefitness.com has a training and diet board that is second to none.  Most of those guys are top bodybuilders and there are several doctors there. It is geared towards steroid use, but if you don't use them the training and diet boards are great.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 11:20:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
9 times a week is a little much.
View Quote

No, actually it isn't, since 6 of those times are cardio workouts of two different kinds.  Please don't tell me how to run my workout and I won't tell you how to run yours.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:02:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

No, actually it isn't, since 6 of those times are cardio workouts of two different kinds.  Please don't tell me how to run my workout and I won't tell you how to run yours.  Thanks.
View Quote

Wow, testy much?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:29:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
9 times a week is a little much.  YOu have to give your body time to recover or your gains won't be that good.  One muscle group a day is my favorite with a rest day after deads and squats.  Elitefitness.com has a training and diet board that is second to none.  Most of those guys are top bodybuilders and there are several doctors there. It is geared towards steroid use, but if you don't use them the training and diet boards are great.
View Quote

Maybe he's not a burly manly man.  Maybe he just wants to be fit and "toned", like this guy:

[img]http://www.workoutmusicvideo.com/images/richard.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Wow, testy much?
View Quote

Yeah, I get a bit testy when I get unwanted advice from someone who has no idea what the hell they're talking about.  I'm funny that way.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:17:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe he's not a burly manly man.  Maybe he just wants to be fit and "toned", like this guy:

[url]http://www.workoutmusicvideo.com/images/richard.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Yeah, that's right, I want to look just like hound...  [:D]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:24:51 PM EDT
[#20]
It is not too bad. When the fall and winter semesters are in full swing the school gym can become wuite crowded. However there is a simple edicate that prevails.

If someone is on the machine you would like to use, you should ask them how many more sets they have. This will usually get them moving at a more rappid pace. If they have many more sets, they might ask if you would like to "jump in". At which point the two of you could alternate. If they do not ask, and you really want to get on the machine, you should ask if you could jump in. This is rerely a problem, and all should work out.

The key is to be flexible, and always have an alternate excersice, as this will get you out of the gym in as little time as possible.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Wow, testy much?
View Quote

Yeah, I get a bit testy when I get unwanted advice from someone who has no idea what the hell they're talking about.  I'm funny that way.
View Quote

Yeah, 'cause nobody could possibly know more about something than you  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:50:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Wow, testy much?
View Quote

View Quote

Yeah, 'cause nobody could possibly know more about something than you  [rolleyes]
View Quote

Well Norm...I CAN call you Norm, can't I?  Well Norm, I do think I know more about my own workout than someone who has never met me and has no idea exactly of what said workout consists, no?  That would seem to be a logical statement, wouldn't it?  Or are you so blinded with your personal dislike for me that you can't follow the logical train here?
Let me run it by you, then, Norm.
1)You post a question asking how often you go to your gym.  You don't say "share your workout so we can critique it" you simply say "how often do you go to your gym?"
2)I respond with the simple statement of how often I attend, not giving any details as to what I do as it was not asked.
3)oubeta comments, unsolicited, that nine times a week is too many because I am not allowing my muscles to recover.  He's assuming that I am lifting nine times a week.
4)I correct his assumption and tell him that I didn't appreciate him critiquing my workout as that was not the purpose of this thread.
5)You make an ass of yourself because you dislike me.

Follow the train of events now, Norm?  Or should we go over it again for you?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#23]
I used to have a gym membership, Golds Gym to name.
I went there every day - 7 days a week - for two two years straight.
I started my workouts easy, circuit training for weights and cardio {treadmill-stationary bike, stair stepper).
Progressed to free weights but still used the treadmill & bike for cardio.  Also took up raquet ball (lots of fun).
Started fixating on the free weights but still always ran.
After two years myself and a friend of mine ponyed up the required $$$ to buy our own multi-station gym and free weight set-up, cost us 5K but well worth it.
That was 6 years ago, still use the equipment everyday - YES sometimes 9 times a week!
Once your body gets used to exercise you'll be surprised how much you can do and how good it makes you feel!
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I run a mile a day....and once a week I job up the stadium stairs at rice university.  as far as weights go, I go to my church gym.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:34:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I currently work out at home, and run outside like God intended (no faggity-ass treadmill or stationary bike for me thank you).  But I've been thinking of joining a gym to get access to more equipment (I'll still run outside thank you very much).
What's the protocol like for waiting for equipment someone else is using?  How do you deal with that in your workout?  It seems like that would make for a very uneven workout having to work around other people.
View Quote

Only fags go to gyms - all those sweaty men wandering around, grunting and groaning and huffing and puffing, watching each other pump iron, desperately trying to avoid eye contact with each other but failing because their gaze is inexorably drawn to the displays of virile masculinity all around them - 5 minutes in a gym and even the most rabid pussy-loving heterosexual will be wanting to suck big dicks.

And yes, only homosexuals would ever buy, or use, a treadmill.  I've always thought that home gym contraptions were also rather gay.  And the Bow Flex....dear god, you might as well buy a pink feather boa and subscribe to Glamour magazine.  Definitely gay.

In fact, I think the entire concept of weight traning is gay.  Only homosexuals ever lift weights.  The only reason to lift weights is to make yourself more attractive to other men.  Women don't care what we look like physically, they care about feelings and emotions and communication, you know, all that gay faggot shit that real men don't care about.  As many redneck hillbillies that post here know all too well, you can be a backwoods slob weighing 400 lbs. with a beer gut that drags the gound and there will still be a woman out there who will think you're sexy.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:25:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

(^&#$@#$&@#$%(@#$*&%)@#(%)#@*&$%)@*#$%)*#@$%)&@#)$*%@#)$%)@#$%)@#*$%)@#*$%)*@#$)%*@#)$*%@#)$&%@#)$%*)@#($%(&)$_^$*@!&@#^)%)#$!&@(&#$@)$_^#$@)*@%!(&#$@(&)*)#!)(&%#!&(#$@()*&$)%^_#@^)(*$#@!(&@^$#!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fuck You All!!!!!!!!!!!
View Quote

Why don't you open up and tell us how you really feel.

[LOL]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:34:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Oh ok just giving advice.  I happen to be a certified personal trainer and an expert on hormone replacement theorpy for you older gents.  Degree in Chem and an EXPERT in training and supplements.  Many of my writings can be found at EliteFitness.com under my screen name. Just holler if you need and advice of medical tips.
Wow, testy much?
View Quote

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 2:38:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Wow, testy much?
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Well Norm...I CAN call you Norm, can't I?  Well Norm, I do think I know more about my own workout than someone who has never met me and has no idea exactly of what said workout consists, no?  That would seem to be a logical statement, wouldn't it?  Or are you so blinded with your personal dislike for me that you can't follow the logical train here?
Let me run it by you, then, Norm.
1)You post a question asking how often you go to your gym.  You don't say "share your workout so we can critique it" you simply say "how often do you go to your gym?"
2)I respond with the simple statement of how often I attend, not giving any details as to what I do as it was not asked.
3)oubeta comments, unsolicited, that nine times a week is too many because I am not allowing my muscles to recover.  He's assuming that I am lifting nine times a week.
4)I correct his assumption and tell him that I didn't appreciate him critiquing my workout as that was not the purpose of this thread.
5)You make an ass of yourself because you dislike me.

Follow the train of events now, Norm?  Or should we go over it again for you?
View Quote

You have overgrown delusions of yourself.  It's not that I don't like you, or like you, I couldn't care less about you.  Most here have figured out that my smart-ass remarks are nothing personal.  You, however, seem to think that I care so much more about you that I single you out. please![rolleyes]
Why you couldn't simply say:
No, actually it isn't, since 6 of those times are cardio workouts of two different kinds.
View Quote
and be done with it is beyond me.  You had to add the crybaby part and I made fun of you.  Get over it, it's nothing personal.  I make fun of everybody.

Oh, and I just read his reply.  I'd say he's pretty qualified to make comments.[nana]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 4:46:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:35:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
In fact, I think the entire concept of weight traning is gay.  Only homosexuals ever lift weights.  
View Quote

Hey buddy,this is not the main forum in GD where we allow a certain amount of messing around,mild insults and pissing matches.

This forum is, and will reamin,a place for relatively serious discussion of self defense and fitness topics.
View Quote

Actually, this IS the GD forum, I posted it here to get a broader response.

Talking about pissing matches-Rick and Norman- lets end this one........ please!
View Quote

Sorry Ed, I really didn't mean anything by it at first, it was just what I thought was some good natured ribbing.  I didn't realize that Rik had such delusions as to my consideration of him.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:52:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:07:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I belong to a gym, and probably hit it 5 evenings a week.  My knees don't tolerate running (never did), and at an average outside temp lately of 105, it is too damn hot to bicycle during the summer here in Tucson.

For machine etiquette, I am a bit troubled as well.  There are a couple of meat heads who will monopolize 3 machines that I want to use for a LONG time.  If you jump on for a set, they brow beat you to giving it back to them.  Really annoying.

Geoff
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:15:11 AM EDT
[#34]
I go to the gym every M W F at lunch.

I use the free weights and the elliptycal (sp?) machine and the bikes.

When thellyp machines are all occupied, I do the bikes.

For the free weights and the universal machines, I have a 6 exercise rotation I do - something like curl bar, leg lifts, lat bar, stomach crunch machine, bench press , elevated sit up bench - alternating stomach and upper body thru my workout circuit.

When someone is on a machine that WOULD be next, I just change the order of my workout circuit.

Pretty much does the trick, 'cept fer the rude people who camp out on a machine - sitting on it resting for like 5 minuted in between sets.

Got tired of such jerks, so now I just ask then to get up so I can squeeze in a set.

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:25:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
5 minutes in a gym and even the most rabid pussy-loving heterosexual will be wanting to suck big dicks.

View Quote

Yeah, real classy post, pal.

Mods...asleep at the wheel.

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You have overgrown delusions of yourself.
View Quote

Oooh yeah.  That's why you keep dragging this out and replying, because you really aren't interested.  

It's not that I don't like you, or like you, I couldn't care less about you.  Most here have figured out that my smart-ass remarks are nothing personal.  You, however, seem to think that I care so much more about you that I single you out. please![rolleyes]
View Quote

Okay Norm, I can accept the idea that you're just an asshole in general and don't dislike me in particular.  As long as you prove it by dropping the issue.  You, after all, are the one who started it and the one keeping it alive.

Why you couldn't simply say:
No, actually it isn't, since 6 of those times are cardio workouts of two different kinds.
View Quote
and be done with it is beyond me.  You had to add the crybaby part and I made fun of you.  Get over it, it's nothing personal.  I make fun of everybody.
View Quote

I added a statement justified by the circumstances, Norm.  Had I said "here is my workout, please tell me what you think of it" then comments and criticism would have been perfectly acceptable.  I did not say that.

Oh, and I just read his reply.  I'd say he's pretty qualified to make comments.[nana]
View Quote

No, actually it wouldn't matter if he had a PhD from Harvard in fitness, because when he made his initial comment HE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT MY WORKOUT WAS.  Do I need to spell that out for you, Norm?  He had no idea of what I did.  He made a comment based on an incorrect assumption that I was lifting all nine times I went to the gym per week.  If I make a comment that I dislike my car, and someone who is a automobile designer proceeds to tell me why I am wrong to dislike it without knowing what model I drive or why I don't like it, he's still not qualified to make that statement whatever his background.  Same thing here.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:54:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Oh ok just giving advice.  I happen to be a certified personal trainer and an expert on hormone replacement theorpy for you older gents.  Degree in Chem and an EXPERT in training and supplements.  Many of my writings can be found at EliteFitness.com under my screen name. Just holler if you need and advice of medical tips.
View Quote

oubeta, I am not and was not angry with you, I was momentarily just a tiny bit annoyed as I hadn't asked for advice.  I understand that someone with your background is used to giving it and I appreciate your wish to help.  I have received detailed help with my workout from fitness experts at my gym, so rest assured I am not doing anything that would lead to regression.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:56:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Only fags go to gyms - all those sweaty men wandering around, grunting and groaning and huffing and puffing
View Quote

Of course you left out the incredibly hot women also grunting and huffing and puffing in their incredibly revealing outfits...
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Only fags go to gyms - all those sweaty men wandering around, grunting and groaning and huffing and puffing, watching each other pump iron, desperately trying to avoid eye contact with each other but failing because their gaze is inexorably drawn to the displays of virile masculinity all around them - 5 minutes in a gym and even the most rabid pussy-loving heterosexual will be wanting to suck big dicks.

And yes, only homosexuals would ever buy, or use, a treadmill.  I've always thought that home gym contraptions were also rather gay.  And the Bow Flex....dear god, you might as well buy a pink feather boa and subscribe to Glamour magazine.  Definitely gay.

In fact, I think the entire concept of weight traning is gay.  Only homosexuals ever lift weights.  The only reason to lift weights is to make yourself more attractive to other men.  Women don't care what we look like physically, they care about feelings and emotions and communication, you know, all that gay faggot shit that real men don't care about.  As many redneck hillbillies that post here know all too well, you can be a backwoods slob weighing 400 lbs. with a beer gut that drags the gound and there will still be a woman out there who will think you're sexy.
View Quote

You just keep telling yourself that haha
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 12:18:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Im 17 and I go to the gym Monday-Friday. Im joining the Navy so I am trying to get into really good shape before I head to basic. I havent ever really had a problem with someone hogging a machine but I live in a small town with a big gym and go from 9-12 and its summer now so its usually dead, just me and my buddy sometimes. Not sure if the people in my town are just lazy or go at night but I dont think I've ever seen over 10 people in at one time.

GOGI

P.S. FLASHLIGHT, I think you have some problems with your personal appearance to hate gyms/workin out that much. I dont work out to look good, I work out to feel good and be strong. And no, my eyes have never wandered over to the 250lb body builder only wearing spandex shorts. They have wandered over to the ladies wearing spandex though [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top