Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2003 7:32:28 AM EDT
This guy doesn't have to eat food; he lives off of solar energy.

[url]http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/printedition/290603/detFRO04.shtml[/url]

Off to NASA for his place in the sun  
Ramesh Babu
(Thiruvananthapuram, June 28)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hira Ratan Manek, aka Hirachand, has not eaten in eight years. He lives on sunlight. But skeptical (and perhaps long-suffering) Indians should read on a bit before going — bah, another scam.
This 64-year-old mechanical engineer has been tried and tested by US space agency NASA. In June 2002, NASA verified his claims when he spent 130 days with its scientists drinking only water. They have even named such subsistence — water and solar energy — the 'HRM (Hira Rattan Manek) phenomenon'.

Now NASA wants him to show them how he does it. They hope to use the technique to solve food storage and preservation problems on space expeditions. So on Friday, Hirachand left for New York.

Hirachand belongs to a Gujarati family that moved to Kerala 120 years ago and eventually set up a textile business.

Hirachand, who lives in Kozhikode, began to have a distaste for food in 1992. In 1995, he took a trip to the Himalayas. When he returned, he had stopped eating completely.

His wife Vimla Hirachand describes the HRM phenomenon: "Every evening he looks at the sun for one-hour without batting an eyelid. It is his main food. Occasionally, he takes coffee, tea, buttermilk or some other liquid."

Hirachand himself says that this eating through the eyes is best done in the evening when the sun's ultra-violet rays are least harmful.

Both explain that what Hirachand does is completely scientific; it's no miracle. "He has a special taste for sun energy. He believes only 5 per cent of human brain cells are used by most people. The other 95 per cent can be activated through solar energy," says Vimla.

When Hirachand returns from the US, he plans to conduct lectures for young scientists. He is also writing a book on the science of the brain.

"Here nobody realised the importance of his findings. He wrote to many organisations. Nobody tried to understand him. But foreigners really admire him," his wife says. Ahem.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:33:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:35:17 AM EDT
[#2]
LOL sweet...this guy is awesome.  I like him already!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:40:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I can see the solar penile enlargement ads already.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:47:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This guy doesn't have to eat food; he lives off of solar energy.
View Quote

[BS2] [BS] [BS] [BS2]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:47:38 AM EDT
[#5]
The most important question is:  Does he poop?  And if so, does it glow in the dark?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:59:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I can see the solar penile enlargement ads already.
View Quote

[ROFL2]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:01:13 AM EDT
[#7]
hummm..... is that a tabloid website?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:06:40 AM EDT
[#8]
he's a plant! [:O]

What's next, a Trifid? [:D]

NsB
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:20:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I live off of solar energy too.  Or at least the plants and plant-eaters I consume do.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:21:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah right

[SIZE=6]BULLSHIT[/SIZE=6]  
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:24:34 AM EDT
[#11]
... Oh great, now this county is going to have to deal with millions of overweight blind people.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:26:12 AM EDT
[#12]
...coffee, tea, buttermilk or some other liquid...
View Quote

...such as Tandoori Chicken milkshakes, etc..
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:26:43 AM EDT
[#13]
easy explanation

buttermilk...
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:28:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Anybody know anyone in NASA?
And I wonder what solar rays taste like?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:28:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Have you seen the water over there in those turdworld countries? He probably gets all his calories from the dead animals and fecal matter in his drinking water.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:31:10 AM EDT
[#16]
[Homer]arghmmmmm....."dead animals and fecal matter" mmmmmmmm.... [/Homer]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:35:32 AM EDT
[#17]
"He believes only 5 per cent of human brain cells are used by most people. The other 95 per cent can be activated through solar energy"

Yeah, that's why all of the great civilizations and inventions came from Africa.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:03:21 AM EDT
[#18]
The conversion of light into glucose ie any usable form within the body requires the use of a photoreactive pigment such as chlorophil...The last time I checked people didn't have green skin. Even if this guy is telling the truth and really hasn't eaten in 8 years, he would be so frail from calcium definicies and terribly enimic from lack of essential vitamens, minerals, and essential oils.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:14:50 AM EDT
[#19]
[b]So he must shit and piss sunshine.[/b]

I know there must be a drill instructor joke here somewhere ?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:00:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
[b]So he must shit and piss sunshine.[/b]

I know there must be a drill instructor joke here somewhere ?
View Quote

So he doesn't have a place where the sun don't shine?  That makes him impervious to a whole class of insults. [;D]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:09:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The most important question is:  Does he poop?  And if so, does it glow in the dark?
View Quote

This is either a variation or an improvement.  They used to make claims about holy men in India that said their poop smelled like perfume.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:49:16 AM EDT
[#22]
If this guy digests light from the solar system, then the opposite side of his body is consequently eclipsed and therefore devoid of nutrition...Thus, due to astrophysics beyond our comprehension, his sphincter must serve as a black hole.  Conclusively, this guy doesn't poop.  In fact, this guy's piehole must attract foreign objects large and small.

I think Mr. Apollo here is gay.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:59:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Isn't someone going to start up a hero rifle fund for the guy?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:12:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Problem is, he's been blind for 8 years.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
"He believes only 5 per cent of human brain cells are used by most people. The other 95 per cent can be activated through solar energy"

Yeah, that's why all of the great civilizations and inventions came from Africa.
View Quote
Hey, there, Rand McNally; India is in Asia, not Africa.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#27]
This sunchild also believes that cows are sacred.

BTW, could you pass me the steak sauce?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Isn't someone going to start up a hero rifle fund for the guy?
View Quote

Nah, he isn't hot, nothing to see here.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:26:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote
View Quote

I believe he was referring to the fact that Africa receives a lot of sunlight, yet isn't exactly a fountain of innovation.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote
View Quote

I believe he was referring to the fact that Africa receives a lot of sunlight, yet isn't exactly a fountain of innovation.
View Quote
Whatever. [rolleyes]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top