Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2003 6:32:59 AM EDT
Anyone seen the new ADT and Brinks home alarm commercials?
On the ADT commercial they have people saying they wont live in fear anymore, they're totally protected by their alarm etc.

The Brinks commercial shows some guy busting a window on a house, mom sees him and rushes the kids upstairs and blocks the door with a chair =/
Seconds later a Brinks guy calls and asks if they're ok and she says they are now.. Then he says hang on he's notifying authorities.

While I'm sure an alarm will be somewhat of a deterrent, I find it kind of strange that the alarm companies are basically telling people trust your life to us and the cops...

What do you guys think about them?

Personally, I'd much rather trust my USP :D
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:34:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:35:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Dumbest friggin' commercials ever....

I use ADT to wake me up if someone is trying to break in.

After that, it's me, my USP40C, and 11 rounds of Black Talon to the rescue.

If ADT calls after the incident, I'll tell them to bring the coroner and a crew skilled at getting blood out of tile grout, as well as the cops.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:36:38 AM EDT
[#3]
You have to portray pertifying fear as being a normal reaction and hope to convince the unknowing mases that intervention can occur in a timely fashion.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:38:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:39:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:43:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How else would you advertise a home alarm system?
View Quote

I guess you'd have to try and scare your sucke...err customers into thinking your alarm was the best thing since sliced bread. Those adds just irk me I guess.
If a criminal wants to break in and slash your wife and kids throat, hes gonna do it, alarm or no alarm.
Just the idea of depending on someone else to keep you and your family safe really bothers me. sorry.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:47:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:49:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
 A liberal friend as much as said that she doesn't have to do anything about preparing for out of the ordinary events, because somebody will come [s]help[/s][red]with a body bag[/red].
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:56:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:16:08 AM EDT
[#10]
A liberal friend as much as said that she doesn't have to do anything about preparing for out of the ordinary events, because somebody will come help.
View Quote

How do dolts like this survive ?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:22:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:28:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I don't know where liberals come with with these whacked out ideas.
View Quote

"Liberal" has to be the misnomer of the century!

I use the term "leftist".

When you consider that the "liberal" agenda would rob American citizens of their rights and promote an authoritarian government as the warden of the populace, its's anything but liberal.

Then again, if you define "liberal" as having a "do whatever the hell you want as long as it doesn't offend my delicate sensibilities"  attitude, then I guess it's accurate.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:30:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Dumbest friggin' commercials ever....

I use ADT to wake me up if someone is trying to break in.

After that, it's me, my USP40C, and 11 rounds of Black Talon to the rescue.

If ADT calls after the incident, I'll tell them to bring the coroner and a crew skilled at getting blood out of tile grout, as well as the cops.
View Quote

Note: Your homeowners insurance should pay to replace the carpet.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:36:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do I need a rider for that?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:49:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:51:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm waiting for the Alarm system Where I can Customize the alert sound. Mine would be something like "Dude you are about to Get F'd up and It's really going to Hurt when that Glock 19 get's emptied into your A**!!!!!!"

Or Even Better "Dude I hope you called your friends and tell them you won't be coming home ever again"

Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:56:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

No carpet, just tile. This is South Florida, after all....

DoubleFeed:

[lol] My avatar sure confuses people! First a cowboy and now a thief! [lol]

It's Sam Fisher, hero of the Tom Clancy game [i]Splinter Cell[/i]. He's a GOOD guy!

If anything, it should be an advertisement for what's going to be stalking the sorry ass of whoever tries to break into a home!
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:10:01 AM EDT
[#18]
What a bunch of Morons, if I'm gonna break into, or assault a house, first thing that goes bye, bye, is the phone system, and power, a fast second.

There won't BE an alarm......[:D]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:11:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:22:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What a bunch of Morons, if I'm gonna break into, or assault a house, first thing that goes bye, bye, is the phone system, and power, a fast second.

View Quote
How are you going to get to the phone system when the lines are buried now?  Power is a bit easier.  Just don't get shocked.
View Quote

Lint to he house will be buried but the entry point (D-MARK) is still on the outside of the house and that is where you can make the cut for a phone line.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:22:27 AM EDT
[#21]
"Dang whats that sound? Crap it's an alarm....now we can't kill everyone in the house. Guess we'll just have to try next door, hope they don't have an alarm." [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:33:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Liberty86,
Most of the good home security systems have a battery back up system.  So yes, there will still be an alarm.

I have an alarm system in my home as an early detection device.  If it works as a deterent then great but if not I'll be ready.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#23]
I also like how the police car shows right up.
The are places in the county here, that the response time is 20 minutes from the office.
If I am on the other side of the county, it is closer to 35 to 40.
To me it is a very misleading ad.
At my house it would be meet the dog, then the wife with the hipower and a 20 round magazine.
And if you think it takes me a long time to get across the county,you should see the EMS.
I think the ambulance tops out at 70mph.
They need a new one.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:39:52 AM EDT
[#24]
I never had a great deal of faith in home security companies and my perception was reinforced in February this year.  

I received a call on my police line from a home security company (I'm sorry I don't remember which one).  They said an alarm was going off at XXX Mulberry Street in Derby.  We don't have a Mulberry St and this isn't Derby.  "Oh?  Well I can't find the number for the Derby Police Department, do you have the number?"  I inform her that no I do not, that Derby is at 175 miles away from me and I don't have all the state's local P.D. numbers.  "Where is Derby?  What's the closest major city?"  After collecting myself I advised the nice lady she might try directory assistance.

This company was safeguarding someone's house in Derby and the company didn't even know where their client's house was.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:56:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#26]
All an alarm system is good for in a residential setting is to alert the police that your house is being broken into / on fire / has a massive water break while you are away on vacation.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 2:29:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, that new one really pisses me off.

The worst part is how they all just cower together at the end of it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Every time I see that commercial I keep thinking the scumbag got away and now someone else is to be a victim. If she would pop a cap in his ass then the world would have one less burglar, a burglar who breaks into occupied homes at that.
I have also reran this commercial in my head if it was done by a firearms company.
Burglar breaks in, latest UberPistole fires, dead bad guy (complete with six foot long police record) lies dead at the feet of triumphant mother safely hugging her children.
Thats when I crack up and realize not in my lifetime will there be such an ad.
Oh well...

Editted to add;
My alarm system has four legs and barks. My theory is waking me up is faster than waiting for the cops and a hell of a lot more hazardous to the bad guy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top