Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2003 1:28:16 PM EDT
So I had to call 911 this afternoon, and when I called, the line was busy, so I dial again and still the line is busy.  It took 4 tries before the line rang and someone picked up.  I hope in a true emergency this doesn't happen to someone.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:35:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I had to call 911 this afternoon, and when I called, the line was busy, so I dial again and still the line is busy.  It took 4 tries before the line rang and someone picked up.  I hope in a true emergency this doesn't happen to someone.  
View Quote

If it wasn't a true emergency, why were you calling?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:38:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't have the number to the local  police department, so 911 is the best option while driving.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:41:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Ever heard on information? IE: 411, or 311?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#4]
usually 911 dosnt go to the police, rather a 911 dispatch center
around here really the worst possible way to get ahold of the police in a non emergency
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:49:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I didn't have the number to the local  police department, so 911 is the best option while driving.  
View Quote

Maybe that's why the line was busy.

People do this all the time - a small percentage of 911 calls are actual emergencies.
CR
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Ya sheesh in a "semi-emergency" where you need to contact the cops, what a freakin pain in the butt to go look up their local number.  BTW here in DOOO VAWL if you call the cop shop # you get a recording saying to dial 911 if you need to get ahold of a police officer.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ya sheesh in a "semi-emergency" where you need to contact the cops, what a freakin pain in the butt to go look up their local number.  BTW here in DOOO VAWL if you call the cop shop # you get a recording saying to dial 911 if you need to get ahold of a police officer.
View Quote

Pain in the butt?  Sounds lazy (depending on what you call a semi-emergency).  If it's not a real emergency and can wait long enough for you to look up the number, then look up the dang number.  It's not like you have to call all the time.  It's a pain to have to look up the pizza place's number, but you do anyway.  You never know, while the officer is handling a non-emergency someone else might be getting the crap beat out of them by their spouse and can't get through.
I haven't heard of a place that directed you to call 911 (not saying it doesn't exist) - if so, they must not get many calls.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Pain in the butt?  Sounds lazy (depending on what you call a semi-emergency).  If it's not a real emergency and can wait long enough for you to look up the number, then look up the dang number.  It's not like you have to call all the time.  It's a pain to have to look up the pizza place's number, but you do anyway.  You never know, while the officer is handling a non-emergency someone else might be getting the crap beat out of them by their spouse and can't get through.
I haven't heard of a place that directed you to call 911 (not saying it doesn't exist) - if so, they must not get many calls.
View Quote

When you live in a town of a few thousand people with 2 cops on duty, there isn't exactly a whole crew manning the police station at all hours [:)]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:35:53 PM EDT
[#10]
What's the problem? Can't look up the local PD and the Sheriff's office in the phone book and enter it into the cellphone? I know I did that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top