Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2003 6:30:10 AM EDT
Okay,  I've run into a problem.  I'm in the process of adding a third battery to the boat, and I cannot remember how to wire them so I have a 12 volt system instead of a 24 volt system.

one battery is only for starter/engine use, and is wired directly,  so I just have to worry about the two accessory batteries.  All will charge from the same alternator thru 8 gauge marine wire. The heaviest load on the system is a 1,000 watt inverter.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to hook up positive and negative leads?  it would be nice if I didn't set the boat on fire!      
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:46:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I would think hooking them in parralel (positive-positive, negative-negative) would give you twelve volts, the same as jump starting a car.
If you hooked them in series, you would increase the voltage to 24v.
You should be able to find the short connector cables at any parts store.
[coveringmyass]I could be wrong.[/coveringmyass]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:50:45 AM EDT
[#2]
John, wasted is right.

Doing them in parallel will give you 12v and twice the juice.  That's connecting the positive of one to the positive of the other, and the same with the negative.  

Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:51:05 AM EDT
[#3]
yep..

positive to positive / negative to negative

(+) - (+)

(-) - (-)

not sure if you got it right?  check with a multimeter before hooking up.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:53:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Wasted_life has it right.

Connect Pos-to-Pos and Neg-to-Neg, this produces a parrallel circuit.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:57:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks. You should have seen me in the shed,  sitting in the boat with a red lead in one hand and a black lead in the other.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:01:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm not an electrician and I don't play one on TV but...

For a 12v system wire the positve to positive and negative to negative.
For a 24v system wire the positive of one to the negative of the other. The unwired positive terminal is your new positive terminal and the unwired negative terminal is your new negative terminal.

Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:20:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks. You should have seen me in the shed,  sitting in the boat with a red lead in one hand and a black lead in the other.  
View Quote

......and saying "Hell with it, I'll ask the guys...[:D]

I've done that, myself!!

Oh, yeah, parallel on the batteries!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:26:53 AM EDT
[#8]
John, ya got a pic of the boat???
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:42:39 AM EDT
[#9]
sure.
And remember conservation of power.....P=P.

Anyone know the benefit of distributing a 24V system instead of a 12V system??? Hint: P=VI

By converting known units to to Coulombs and Joules...one can determine how long a battery pack will run a given load. Or, we can conert A*hrs to Watt*minutes.

Having to guess, those two series 24 cells (marine, sum=200 Ahr) should provide 1kW for about 15min.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:48:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't have any personal pictures,  Mine is a Bayliner 2152 classic.

Slightly more than 21 ft long with a small cabin, toilet and V-8 I/O.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:06:15 AM EDT
[#11]
John, sounds nice!  You headin to the lake this weekend?  

Buddy of mine was talking about renting a boat this weekend, but I have a tournament that I will be working at.  You might hear about it, it's at the Convention Ctr.. the Fencing Summer Nationals.  I'll be working it this weekend and next.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top