Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2003 6:34:30 PM EDT
Will a 308 AP round take out an engine block?
I was thinking about one of the opening scenes in "Blackhawk down" where the Delta sniper took out the guys engine with a shot through the block. (from the Blackhawk)

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:37:33 PM EDT
[#1]
FMJ will enter the side of a block. I have tired it, it works just fine.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't own a 308 but a block is cast iron so it isn't that hard to break (or crack) its not a real dense metal like a flywheel or anything like that.

plus there is a bunch of stuff in the engine compartment that once it has a hole in it your screwed.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Assuming the account of the engagement is accurate, I'd say it'd be more than adequate. The thing about the shot from the Blackhawk is that the hood of a vehicle offers little protection to the engine against a shot from above. If the shot were from the side or oblique, the bullet would have many more obstacles to overcome before reaching anything vital - tires, fenders, brackets, etc. Also, if the real target vehicle was a V-8 Land Rover, those engines are aluminum.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:49:50 PM EDT
[#4]
A bullet fragment to the valve cover will play hell with at least one pistons operation, quite honestly it would probably cause more fragmentation of the cams/lifters/oil system etc....especially while at operational speeds like 4000rpm or so.....

However, a full frontal shot from 308 AP round will penetrate light armor which is what?  12mm? 15mm?  Not many engines blocks will have walls thicker than that.....
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:07:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was thinking about one of the opening scenes in "Blackhawk down" where the Delta sniper took out the guys engine with a shot through the block. (from the Blackhawk)

View Quote

It wasn't a 308 used in that scene, it was a 5.56.
View Quote

That's Hollywood for you.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:11:00 PM EDT
[#7]
How about explosive rounds? [}:D]
Ive allways wanted to know what kind of damage explosive ammo can do to vehicles.

Also, What about a Flachette round? Better chances of hitting vitals, but what about penetrability?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

It wasn't a 308 used in that scene, it was a 5.56.
View Quote

That's Hollywood for you.
View Quote

In real life it was a Barrett M82.
They dont call it a Hard Target Interdiction Rifle for nothing. And they were a little further away than they showed in the movie too.

A 7.62 FMJ will do it at NORMAL engagement ranges.
And if M80 can do it, then SS109 can do it too.

Also there are a lot of cars with all aluminum engines-a lot of the ricermobiles fall into this catagory-and cast aluminum isn't known for its impact resistance.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:07:39 PM EDT
[#9]
If the vehicle really was a Land Rover then the engine block would have been made out of aluminum.  Probably M193 rounds would have been sufficient to crack the block if it was a Rover.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 12:00:02 AM EDT
[#10]
30-06 M2 black tip will penetrate heavy RR rail.  If you shoot at the bottom at the thick part it goes in about 1.5" and comes back out.  that piece of rail is still about 30 feet away.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:07:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Funny, I just watched BHD last night. If I had to gauge where the 5.56mm bullet hit (in the movie), I'd say by the angle and area it impacted the hood, it probably penetrated the valve cover, especially the way oil shot out immediately.

Such a hit wouldn't necessarily disable the vehicle right away, but it wouldn't take long for very bad things to happen. The LR wouldn't make it home, or anywhere far, for that matter.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:41:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top