Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2003 12:44:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 1:11:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
If things go right, I will be picking up a 2001 Electra-glide Classic (maybe Ultra Classic - not sure) tomorrow - CHEAP!!  We're talking under a grand...  I did not have this budgeted but it was a now or never deal and will cost me a little over one week's pay.
The bike was wrecked and needs quite a bit of cosmetic restoration - upper and lower fairings, dented tank, bags, side panels, lights, etc.  Engine ,frame, exhaust, and (AFAIK) forks are fine. Should I replace everything with Genuine Harley parts or will aftermarket parts reduce the value?  Where is a good place to buy?  The local Harley dealer is an ass and I have serious doubts about getting any good deals there.  Keep in mind I am shipping parts to Alaska, so that can be a major cost addition...  My plan is to restore it over the winter and sell it next spring - unless I grow too attached to it [:)].
Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
TIA
Shadowblade
View Quote

Nothing wrong with aftermarket but check with some Harley people on where to find the best deals.
It seems there are HD dealers that are a$$holes in places other than IN.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 1:20:02 AM EDT
[#2]
try www.chicagoharleydavidson.com for decent parts prices.  I hear they sell at discount, although I havent tried them.  I would stay H-D on the major parts like the fairings, tank, etc, but with things like grips or mirrors and pegs and stuff, aftermarket is fine and wont really hurt value.  What hurts value the most is the fact it was wrecked and repaired.  If you buy genuine H-D tank and fairings and side panels, you can buy them already painted and decaled just like what was original so you wont need to paint anything.  Might try some of the H-D accessories too to replace some of the stock parts that you already have to throw away as damaged.  Some of the accessory parts are the same price, or cheaper, than the original equipment and its still genuine Harley.

Get a H-D service manual BEFORE you begin or you will spend many hundreds, or thousands, of dollars more on things you screwed up or ruined that you wouldnt have had you had a manual to read.  Might also get a parts manual too so you have the part numbers before you go to the dealer.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:02:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

...The bike was wrecked and needs quite a bit of cosmetic restoration - upper and lower fairings, dented tank, bags, side panels, lights, etc.  Engine ,frame, exhaust, and (AFAIK) [i][red]forks are fine[/red][/i].

View Quote

... What irony, all that shit busted and the forks are OK? Ha, they're usually the first to go.

... I would take a trusted mechanic friend with you to assess to be sure of what you're getting into.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:19:15 AM EDT
[#4]
If the motor & tranny are truly unharmed, you've got a great deal right off the bat.  HD enging & tranny brand new would run you $4k or so.

Chicago HD does sell at a 10% discount off list, but can be a major pain in the neck to deal with.  There is another HD dealer that does 10% off list but the name escapes me at the moment.  I'll try and find out and get back to you.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:42:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Criminy! -- The radio/cassette/cb alone from a Ultra Classic would be near a grand!  You got a smokin' deal and will come out smelling like a rose if you fix the thing right.

BTW it does sound like you gota' Ultra.  The Electra Glide Standard and Classic don't have lower fairings unless the owner added them.

As far as OEM vs. Aftermarket, I'd recommend OEM for the "integral" parts of the bike.  You probably don't have a lot of choices for those parts anyway, if you want to end up with something that looks like a Harley, and not some JC Whitney bolt together crap.  

The bags and fairing will likely be expensive parts and I'd get the forks checked out throrougly.  I find it hard to belive you could wreck one hard enough to make it only worth a grand and not damage the forks.

If you're working on a budget, I'd suggest considering skipping the lower fairings and using that money elsewhere.  They are not really a must have, but might be nice to streach what I imagine must be a fairly shorting riding season in AK.

For things like turnsignals and other minor chrome bits, aftermarket is fine.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:21:57 AM EDT
[#6]
How is the title situation?

I would probanly strip it down to the frame and have it checked for straightness.Then Slowly begin reassembling it.

Check swap meets and places like ebay. There is a lot of people selling parts that they removed to replace with custom aftermarket stuff.

Personally I would sell it in peices unless you have a clean title that isn't a salvage or cusstom build.

If the title is still a clean HD title, it and the frame is probably worth $2000. The motor-$3500- 4000 and the tranny should be worth $600-1000.

Cruizer
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:45:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:08:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I predict you will spend more than you make if you sell it after you've finished "restoring" it. Have fun.
AB
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:28:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Do you want a restoration or a rebuild? Custom Chrome has nice chrome and parts for harleys (Albeit I usually only make it into their catalog as far as the softtail stuff...)
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:48:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Get new forks, and strip it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:03:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:06:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:08:17 PM EDT
[#16]
If the frame is bent, you might be able to fix it if the bend isn't that bad.

But, if it is bad, I'd say part it out.

No sence having a "money pit" ya'know.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:30:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I agree with Silence.  There's enough to save on the bike, all the previous owner did was crash off all the crap that you don't really need anyway.  Pull the fork, pull the tank, just strip it down nearly to a bare frame, and then once you've built it back up to a street legal bike with turn signals and such, leave it that way and don't try to buy all the bashed around full dresser stuff.  Leave the sidesaddles on if you must, they still look fine.  You can probably make enough money to buy forks and a tank by selling all the useless chrome brackets and tubing and crap that Harley just throws onto the full dressers for no apparent reason except love of chrome doodads that say HD on them.

When I say strip it down, I mean sell everything that don't make it go!  And since you need new forks anyway, maybe you can have a local shop bust out the welder and alter your triple clamp/steering head angle.  I mean, the bike is going to need a repaint anyway, and how much fun would THIS be:

[url]http://www.hdcs.se/bilder1/chopper.jpg[/url]

[url]http://www.cyclerides.com/photos/bikephotos/bikephotos8-3/2003deucecvo.jpg[/url]

[url]http://www.cyclerides.com/photos/bikephotos/bikephotos8-3/deuceheartland.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Dude, you're never gonna end up with a bike like those starting with an FLH.

Looking at what you have in front of you I'd say, replace the front end (forks/fairing, etc), the fuels tank, strip off the tourpack, but fix/replace the saddle bags and paint her up.  I'm guessing $3-6K should do it depending on how much of the work you do yourself.  Down here in VA I would expect you could easily double your money when it comes time to sell.

If you don't intend to keep the bike and ride it, I'd part it out.  There's a lot of stuff there that will fetch more that you paid.

Again, just the sound system will likely get almost what you paid for the bike.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:42:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Are you sure the forks are that damaged? I can't tell fron the pic if they are bent. I can see the covers are dented. You can get the fender brackets re-welded or just buy lower legs. There are numerous places to find the parts you need or to sell them if you want to part it out. E-mail me for the board I'm thinking of. It's a chopper swap board, so those guys  sell the stuff you need after they take them off. You've done well buddy. You can go to a Road King setup on the windshield / fairing cheaper that a resto. The side bags are great. You can get a used tour pack reasonably & tanks can be had on the same board I will send you. I think you can get the parts for under a grand.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:59:07 AM EDT
[#19]
[Jeff Spicoi]Relax, alright? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.[/Jeff Spicoli]

I'll agree with others here. You've got a gread head start on a project bike. Because of the odd title issue, you'd better go ahead and make this bike whatever [b]you[/b] want it to be, because it'll be tough to sell down the road. I've never seen a bike damaged in this manner. You're right - it looks like the thing was dropped upside-down. Weird.

WRT parts, this is one of the real beauties of a Harley. They're like the 1911 of motorcycles (or vice-versa). There are parts available on the aftermarket to make it into anything you want - rat bike, cruiser, drag bike, hillclimber, you name it. There are loads of H-D places in AK already. Do some looking, and I'm sure you'll find everything you need. If not, just consolidate all the parts from the lower 48 at one place, and make a parts run every 6 months or so to Seattle or somewhere within a couple days' drive.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:00:20 AM EDT
[#20]
you got that for under a grand?!?!?!?!

way good deal.

i'm with the crowd...lose the tour-pak, fairing and sound system.

fix/replace the tank, fender and any front end parts.

unless you plan on touring mega-miles that dressers are best at, all that added crap makes for a true pig.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:03:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

unless you plan on touring mega-miles that dressers are best at, all that added crap makes for a true pig.
View Quote

Watch it there dude!  You're talkin' 'bout my FLH there!  LOL

Actually I recently traded my 1996 FXDWG that I'd tranformed into a real "bar bike" for a 2003 Electra-Glide Standard.

What all that "added crap" means to me is that I can easily do a better than 500 mile day and still be fit to party and I never again have to suffer the shivering and chattering teeth from freezing since I always have a sweatshirt and jacket in one of my bags.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top