Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2003 4:58:08 AM EDT
I work as a bail bondsman & our office is right across the street from the Brazos county jail. It was about 3:30 a.m. & I was watching some crap on the history channel, & I heard Officer McGinny on the outside speaker asking is it poisonous? I put the tv on mute, & tried to hear what was being said by the 2 officers in the jail entrance. I could see something long on the ground by the 1 officer, & I assumed it was a rattler based on what I did manage to hear through the glass of my office. I jumped up, & headed out the door, & I asked as I crossed the street if it was a rattler. The officer closest said no it's a scarlet something or other. I looked at it & said a scarlet king snake, & went through the red next to black, your ok jack, red next to yellow your a dead fellow, & satisfied myself it was safe to catch. I asked the cops if I could keep it, & McGinny said sure, take it home over the outside speaker. I couldn't get it close to the head as it keep trying to bite me, so one officer whipped out his collapsible baton & pinned it down for me.
I picked up my long desired prize & was about to head back to my office, when a female officer came outside, & when she saw me she said is that a snake? I said yes, & she began to backpedaled rapidly, gun & all hehehe[lol]. To me it seems silly that someone toten a pistol, & baton, who's job is to face dangerous people, are scared to death of the little & slow creature such as a snake.
I brought it to the office, & put it in some plastic food container. After it had settled down for a while, I opened the lid to have a look. As soon as it realized it was off it tried to escape but I grabbed it before it could get off my desk, & the little fart bit me on the hand! It didn't hurt, & It didn't bleed at all. I've been bit by garter snakes that were much worse.
I would love to keep it as a pet, but ever since 1 of my 22 baby rattlers got loose in the house the wife has ended all my fun, for good[:(]when it comes to snakes. It is a real beauty though with it's bright red, yellow, & black markings. Truly nice to look at. I showed it to her this morning, & she started grousing right away, about not a chance, so I will see if my brother wants it. I may just exert my dominance & keep it, but frankly the pleasure of having it would be greatly outweighed by my wife's constant whining, & complaining about it being here.[:(!]
Anyway it is something I have wanted to catch for a long time, so good for me. I will probably get a snake catchers rep with the Bryan police after this event also.[:D]which is just fine with me. I would love it if they called me whenever they had a snake that need to be caught.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:07:13 AM EDT
[#1]
To quote Bill Engvall:

"Snakes are evil.  They're from the Devil.  It's in the Bible."

P.S.  Search, you're nuts. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:09:00 AM EDT
[#2]
And you said your job was boring! [;)]

Sounds cool, but I do do snakes.  It's not a phobia, they just don't appeal to me.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:14:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Thumbs up SFT, Snakes are one of the most misunderstood yet beneficial creatures on this planet. Glad to see someone else out there has a soft spot for them.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:17:58 AM EDT
[#4]
The other way to tell if it is a coral snake, is the bands completely circle it's body.
I have caught two desert coral snakes here in AZ, then let them go away from populated areas.
Usualy catch and release about six rattlers a year.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:24:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I would love to keep it as a pet, but ever since 1 of my 22 baby rattlers got loose in the house...
View Quote

The only way I'll visit your house is with my 590 slung over my shoulder. [shock]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:28:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Good snakes are dead snakes.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:30:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Send him to me!  Marian and I will give him a good home!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:33:54 AM EDT
[#8]
snakes! yum! [^]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:54:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would love to keep it as a pet, but ever since 1 of my 22 baby rattlers got loose in the house...
View Quote

The only way I'll visit your house is with my 590 slung over my shoulder. [shock]
View Quote

That loose rattler was in Wisconsin, my home here is all clear, so you would be safe, but you & your niffty shotgun are both welcome to visit any time![:D]

QuietShootr, if you are serious I will consider sending it. We just have to figure out how to do it in a safe manner for the snakey pooh.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:58:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Pics!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:06:10 AM EDT
[#11]
If I can find a way to get a picture on the computer I will.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:45:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
To quote Bill Engvall:

View Quote

Name it "Fluffy"
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:57:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
To quote Bill Engvall:

View Quote

Name it "Fluffy"
View Quote

LOL.

Girls voice: "Fluffy can wrap around us while we make love."

Bill mimicking girls voice, "No he can't.  Cause I'll kill him."
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:35:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Snakes are cool

I hate spiders though.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#15]
here is shipping reptiles FAQ..
[url]http://www.pythons.com/ship.html[/url]

King snakes are my favorite, nice catch!

I own 4(kings) myself, 3 california kings, and one albino prarie king.

i have a bunch of others too.

post pics!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:23:15 PM EDT
[#16]
You keep snakes in your house?  Poisonous snakes?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#17]
calling Marian now...
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Marion the librarian said no as she did so often in the Music Man. You should have sang her a love song 1st then asked if you could add to the family QuietShootr!
I gave it to my sisters boyfriend 15 minuets ago. Keep buttering her up, & I keep my eyes open for another one.[:D]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#19]
When red touches black, you're alright Jack, when red tuches yellow, you're a dead fellow.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:03:13 PM EDT
[#20]
That is one of the most busiest posts I've tried to read in a long time here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top