Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2003 11:22:26 PM EDT
No offense to the professional house painters here but HOW THE F*CK DO YOU DO IT???

It is the most TEDIOUS AND BORING chore to do. Paint the wall, then paint the doors, paint the trim, spill on the floor, cuss, clean up, prep,

What a pain. One more day and the only room left is the bedroom.

CRAP.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:15:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I totaly agree with you.  I [b]HATE[/b] to paint but sometimes it has to be done.  Usually just try to get done as fast as I can.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:31:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Amen Brother!!!

I'd rather work overtime and pay someone to do it!!!
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:46:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I concur, painting at any level SUCKS!  lol
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:48:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I start painting this morning, have to miss a 4 qualifier IPSC match as a result, thanks for this additional boost of motavation and enthusiasm.[:(][:(][:(]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:14:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:22:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been living at condition red levels of procrastination when it comes to painting my house.

4 bedrooms,2 bathrooms.  EVERYTHING on the interior needs to be done and I can't afford to have it done.

Sucks, double-sucks, and mega-sucks.

I've got to go to Home Despot this morning for some things.  Maybe I'll pick up a Power Painter and a 5 gallon bucket of paint and leave it sit in the middle of the living room floor as motivation.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:03:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree, I hate to paint.  I think it requires a lot of beer.

That's why those little paint can openers have a bottle opener on the other end.  And I haven't known too many painters who weren't drunks.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:08:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Ahh, painting.
To transform something by ones own decision and ones own hand. The application of color. Many colors. A combination of colorful thoughts. Applied with determination and reason. Not always out of necessity. The Zen of painting. The pleasure of accomplishment. To bask in the admiration of your family and friends. Think of painting as color therapy as you would think of candles as aroma therapy. All with the flick of the wrist.

Painters Do It With Loving Strokes.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:17:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Painters, prolly fix fridg's like you paint!!

Hows it look?? How'd the bathroom turn out?

Got pics of fridge with a brush? [:D]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:25:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I've found that starting the job is by far the toughest part.  Once started, things usually go quickly.  For the money you spend, I think it's actually pretty gratifying.  As somebody already mentioned, beer helps.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:26:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm not a professional by any means, but I have painted about 15 to 20 houses inside & out.
My best advice is to get good gear. A $12 to $18 dollar cutting brush, the right type of roller heads for the job, & switch the roller head when it stops working as good as it does after the first few rolls. Get a 5 foot piece of material like the stuff that goes on counter tops & about 12" wide to slide along the wall as a drip shield as you go. One of those 4 or 5 foot handle extensions will really help too. It keeps you from having to bend over, & gives you a longer stoke.
Take off all the face plates before you start painting, & put them into a ziplock, or in the dishwasher to clean them up. It's also a good time to buy new ones that are much nicer, & really class up your rooms look. I get mine at Wal-Mart.
I like to cut in on both top, bottom, & corners then get the roller moving fast & furious. I can do an empty house in 8 to 12 hours by myself with this method. I also use a damp rag to clean any drips off the carpet or woodwork, & I rinse it often. I like a 4 x 4 piece of linoleum to set my paint can,& tray on in the middle of the room. I simply turn the try to face me as I go.
Also don't be afraid to put the paint on thick. It will save you from doing a second coat, especially when putting a light color on a darker color.
I know you wont be working in an empty house, but use what you can. I hope this helps, & yes painting sucks!
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:37:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ahh, painting.
To transform something by ones own decision and ones own hand. The application of color. Many colors. A combination of colorful thoughts. Applied with determination and reason. Not always out of necessity. The Zen of painting. The pleasure of accomplishment. To bask in the admiration of your family and friends. Think of painting as color therapy as you would think of candles as aroma therapy. All with the flick of the wrist.

Painters Do It With Loving Strokes.
View Quote

[img]http://flymeaway.net/images/youtry.jpg[/img]

j/k [:D]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:42:51 AM EDT
[#13]
yea have to agree it sucks....reminds me of the old saying....all painters are drunks , but not all drunks are painters....it sure would drive a man to drinking..that for sure..
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:48:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Airwolf![lolabove][rofl2]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:57:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I am not gay. Stop laughing at me!
[:D]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:59:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I agree, I hate to paint.  I think it requires a lot of beer.

That's why those little paint can openers have a bottle opener on the other end.  And I haven't known too many painters who weren't drunks.
View Quote
I thought painters drank wine!
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 1:44:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Yep.

Painted whole thing when we moved into our new house.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 1:51:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[url]http://flymeaway.net/images/youtry.jpg[/url]

View Quote

Thats a keeper.
I will photoshop this soon.
View Quote

I stumbled across it on a newsgroup yesterday and realized that it was solid gold.  I never thought I'd get a perfect chance to use it so soon.

[:D]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Not this crap again.  You haven't met too many painters.  I've met far more dirtball carpenters than painters.

Hell, painting is a job.  I sure as hell wouldn't do what I do for a living for fun, and I wouldn't like to do it in my spare time.  

I enjoyed painting more than swinging a hammer as a profession, but I enjoy home improvement carpentry more than painting.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 2:01:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I paint, but usually with a sable brush, canvas and oils.

TT [wave]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:23:18 PM EDT
[#22]
For the money you spend, I think it's actually pretty gratifying.
View Quote

Agreed.  I still hate doing it, but you're right that for the money, the results are nice.

I've got three relatives that have degrees in electrical engineering that are now painting houses part-time to make a living.  I hate to say it, but it's hilarious to hear them complain about their situation.z
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#23]
As I get older, the more I realize (or find!) you need a back up to your primary profession.

You can get pretty hungry in my field if you are out of work, and my fall back job is framing.  Painting is another.

Everyone with a degree - and YOU ARE NOT layoffproof - needs a blue collar skill to make ends meet in those hungry days that seem so common.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:50:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Get a 5 foot piece of material like the stuff that goes on counter tops & about 12" wide to slide along the wall as a drip shield as you go.
Also don't be afraid to put the paint on thick. It will save you from doing a second coat, !
View Quote

OH. NOW he tells me!!

Actually I started with drop cloths and I missed the cloths and hit the floor.

Guess what I learned. PAINT DOESNT STICK TO PERGO!  So there is ANOTHER plus to laminate flooring!!! so I said screw it to the drop cloths and pained away.

CAME OUT BEAUTIFUL. Painted the walls a "Mocha" color (my kid calls it "Simba Paint") and the trim a bright white... I call my house now my Mediterranean Villa. Im STOKED!!

It was worth the stress but I want all this done before next week. I put of the master bedroom until next week.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I dont mind the painting, I just hate the way my arms feel the next day.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:32:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[url]http://flymeaway.net/images/youtry.jpg[/url]

View Quote

Thats a keeper.
I will photoshop this soon.
View Quote

I can already see the hun's beard and 1/2 the DFW crew drunk on windex! yee haw!
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 11:15:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I dont mind the painting, I just hate the way my arms feel the next day.
View Quote

[b]"Ayyyyy Daniel-san... Show me...

...Paint the fence!!!"[/b]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 11:21:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Ya know, maybe painting wouldn't suck so bad if you got some sleep. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 11:40:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ya know, maybe painting wouldn't suck so bad if you got some sleep. [:)]
View Quote

Holy crap!!! you and my wife separated at birth or what??

If she and I divorce, I'm marrying YOU!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:02:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Ha, if you haven't noticed I'm still up too.  Luckily on vacation now but still average about 4-5 hours of sleep per night when I'm working.  Since I don't drink the sleepiness helps dull the pain. [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top