Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2003 2:42:48 AM EDT
After many years I finally got a gun safe.
I didn't want to get one too small (as I may make more purchases).

Its an Amsec 6040. It weighs 960lbs.

and here it is:

[Warning Big Pictures]
The exterior:
[url]http://www.lewistechnogroup.com/guns/GunSafe/SafeExt1.jpg[/url]

The interior:
[url]http://www.lewistechnogroup.com/guns/GunSafe/SafeInt1.jpg[/url]

The left side of the interior:
[url]http://www.lewistechnogroup.com/guns/GunSafe/SafeInt2.jpg[/url]

The whole interior:
[url]http://www.lewistechnogroup.com/guns/GunSafe/SafeInt6.jpg[/url]

This safe has what is called the all-in-one interior so you can convert it as your needs dictate.

Here you can see how the shelves convert/remove to allow for more long guns. You still retain the top shelf.

Removing the center shelves:
[url]http://www.lewistechnogroup.com/guns/GunSafe/SafeInt4.jpg[/url]

Removing the right shelves:
[url]http://www.lewistechnogroup.com/guns/GunSafe/SafeInt5.jpg[/url]

I'm impressed with it so far and feel it was well worth the cost and [little] trouble.

If you don't have one get one!
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 2:52:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice safe. [:P]   I bought a safe last year and is one of the best puchases I have ever made.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 2:58:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Sweet. Price?
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 2:58:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:00:56 AM EDT
[#4]
960 pounds!!?!?! how did ya get it in there?

oh yeah, and post some pics once its all loaded up too [:)]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:03:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:05:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sweet. Price?
View Quote

It was $2,192.68 which includes the $150 for installation/delivery.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:06:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nice safe - I'm jealous.  I still have a Homak glorified locker.

Your safe has one serious defect that I can see right off though...

It's empty!?!?!  Did you sell all your guns to pay for the safe? [:)]
View Quote

[:D] Fortunately no didn't have to sell anything (selling guns is against my religeon).

I'll post some pics soon once its loaded up!
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:14:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was wondering how they were going to do that too.

I thought it would require a few guys and some unusual equipment but it was just two guys and a special dolly.

I'd never seen a dolly like this before the back half would raise and lover the wheels like an elevator. There was also a small bar for the guy to stand on, which he used to make to stand on as a counter weight. He raised himself up, tipped the safe, then rolled to the steps.

Upon reaching the steps he raised the wheels so the would rest upon one of the steps and used the dolly's motorized section to pull the load (safe) up to that step. The process was repeated for each step.

Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:32:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Is it inside or out in the garage? No issues of crushing the floor or carpets?
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:39:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is it inside or out in the garage? No issues of crushing the floor or carpets?
View Quote

Its indoors.

I checked and am constantly checking it.

It against two very strong supporting walls and in the worse case i'll get a foundation jack if it ever becomes a problem but I don't think it will.

Its an old victorian stlye place and seems solid. Much to my suprise, the floors [u]didn't so much as creek[/u] when they were moving the safe.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:53:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Schweet!!!!!

Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:48:34 AM EDT
[#12]
One suggestion - Get some curtains on those windows opposite the safe ASAP.  Don't want the whole world seeing it sit there, or what comes in and out of it... MournSword
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:51:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
One suggestion - Get some curtains on those windows opposite the safe ASAP.  Don't want the whole world seeing it sit there, or what comes in and out of it... MournSword
View Quote

LOL, you noticed.

I had them down for cleaning. BTW there is a door in front of the safe as it is in a walk in closet.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 5:25:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Ahh, what a nice looking baby safe. [;)]  It must only be 5 feet tall because the touchpad is so near the top of the safe.  Also, only one top shelf.  

Of those 42 holes, you can probably squeeze in about 26 or so rifles and that is going to be tough.  Just about every gun I own doesn't fit in the space they provide.  Oh they fit where they touch the shelf, but they have carrying handles, scopes, pistol grips etc.  

Congratualtions on your great looking new safe.
Fill that baby up and then take more photos for us.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:04:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Congratulations and welcome to the world of "secure" gun and ammo stocks!

Instead of buying one, I built a safe. Gotta love it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:10:57 AM EDT
[#16]
GREAT investment! Looks good, too.

For future reference, try reducing the size of the pictures that you post. It took a while with my DSL to download these, so I can only imagine what our dial-up friends are waiting on. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:23:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
GREAT investment! Looks good, too.

For future reference, try reducing the size of the pictures that you post. It took a while with my DSL to download these, so I can only imagine what our dial-up friends are waiting on. [:)]
View Quote

Good observation. I still haven't seen all the pics.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:44:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:17:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Congrats on the new safe, amazing the diffrence in peice of mind when you have to leave the house isint it? I just got one from the safesource.com for just under 1K delivered it looks to be aboutt half or 2/3 the size of yours but looks pretty darn close in the panels and shelves for the interior as well as the lock and door hardware look the same too. My wife wanted the electronic lock so she wouldnt have to futz with a dial lock in the event I am not home and she needs to get to a rifle or shotgun in a hurry and they threw in the golden-rod dehumidifier for free now I just gotta finish bolting it down. Its good to know I can let my daughter play down in the basement room now and she cant get to anything but I can have one out in a few seconds if need be. Never realized how much I needed one till I got one..... Prolly have 2 down there before long..
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:12:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:03:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I think most safes that tout that they can hold x number of long guns is measuring them with small .22 rifles.  I have a Liberty Lincoln 35 that has ten long guns in it and I'm nearly out of room.
View Quote

That's part of the reason why I constructed a small room out of reinforced concrete. You could fit two or three of those safes in my bunker and also stand up inside it.

Either way, any safe is a good investment.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:09:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Write me up a review for [url=www.pa-ar15.com]the Pennsylvania AR15 Shooters Site[/url] and I'll send you a free CD of goodies.

I've got a review of my Cannon safe you can use for an example.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks guys!

DVDtracker,
Yeah I know... glad you recovered the AR. I remember your story well.

Fight4yourrights,
I'll write a review. I hope it encourages others to buy a safe or some sort of security for their arms.

Wobblin-Goblin,
That must be nice to have a vault. I hope to get have space where I can do that, if I choose, someday.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:55:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Do yourself a favor and put a brace in the basement under the location of the safe. I thought I had no worries with a 500 pounder in a first floor closet. That lasted about two months. Then I spotted the wall and ceiling cracked and separating on the 2nd floor directly above the safe. All that weight is a constant force that slowly warps things out of shape. Those metal poles made for this type of thing are downright cheap and you should have at least one with a beam that runs across the floor joists to avoid damaging things.

My opinion, based on My experiance

Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't even have a heavy gun-safe in my house and I wound up putting more lolly-columns in my basement.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:21:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Congratulations and welcome to the world of "secure" gun and ammo stocks!

Instead of buying one, I built a safe. Gotta love it.
View Quote

Got pics? [:)]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 1:21:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I was wondering how they were going to do that too.

I thought it would require a few guys and some unusual equipment but it was just two guys and a special dolly.

I'd never seen a dolly like this before the back half would raise and lover the wheels like an elevator. There was also a small bar for the guy to stand on, which he used to make to stand on as a counter weight. He raised himself up, tipped the safe, then rolled to the steps.

Upon reaching the steps he raised the wheels so the would rest upon one of the steps and used the dolly's motorized section to pull the load (safe) up to that step. The process was repeated for each step.

View Quote

Probably a stair climber dolly.

They're pretty cool.

[img]http://www.powermate.info/gallery/m-2b_safe_2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 1:40:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top