Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2016 3:13:13 PM EDT
I picked-up this Soviet refub 1941 Tula SVT-40 today in a trade.....I figure I have about $650.00 in it. Nothing really special about it other than it's in pretty good shape for a refurb....'43 Tula AVT stock. Serial 742. Excellent bore. Grooved receiver. Early brake. All the visible parts are Tula marked.

I would have preferred a SA (Finnish) marked example but for near half what they are selling for these days I figured I'd better jump on it.  

Sadly, though it has a grooved receiver it does not have the notch cut at the top of the receiver "hump" that will allow the use of a repro scope/mount. Meh, it would be a chin weld anyway and what with the long sight radius I can see the irons just fine.

LOL....I finally have a rifle to go with the spare mag I found years ago.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I picked-up this Soviet refub 1941 Tula SVT-40 today in a trade.....I figure I have about $650.00 in it. Nothing really special about it other than it's in pretty good shape for a refurb....'43 Tula AVT stock. Serial 742. Excellent bore. Grooved receiver. Early brake. All the visible parts are Tula marked.

I would have preferred a SA (Finnish) marked example but for near half what they are selling for these days I figured I'd better jump on it.  

Sadly, though it has a grooved receiver it does not have the notch cut at the top of the receiver "hump" that will allow the use of a repro scope/mount. Meh, it would be a chin weld anyway and what with the long sight radius I can see the irons just fine.

http://oi67.tinypic.com/1j1zdi.jpg

http://oi63.tinypic.com/2143upt.jpg

http://oi67.tinypic.com/264hurs.jpg

http://oi68.tinypic.com/21a542.jpg

View Quote

Very nice, sir.  This rifle is on my 'must have' list.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:24:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Excellent price.
Neat rifle!!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:25:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Commie garbage.  

Send it to me for proper disposal.  I'll even pay shipping.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice. I want one.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice. I want one.
View Quote

Sigh, I wish I wanted one when they were cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice!

I've been tempted to offer one of my garands up in trade for a good SVT 40... But I'm afraid Fluffy would hunt me down and kill me!
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nice!

I've been tempted to offer one of my garands up in trade for a good SVT 40... But I'm afraid Fluffy would hunt me down and kill me!
View Quote

I did just that last year and came away with a nice SVT, which looks unfired since refurb.  For some reason, I like the plum colored bolt!  I'm in mine for aboit $750 and have bought more Garands since then.  Do you have a wrench for the gas system yet?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:53:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:55:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is a video from a guy in Hungary about it:

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nice!

View Quote

Yeah, in Canuckistan Soviet refurbed SVTs are like $400.00 to $600.00 in milk bag dollars on their secondary market now. At one time they were like $200.00-C before they dried-up.

If I had a extra run of the mill Garand I'd trade it for a good SVT in a heartbeat.....And think I got a decent deal.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice find, OP. I still kind of want an SVT. Could probably trade the few Mosins I have towards one, but the only one available locally is $2500 at a pawn shop.
Quoted:
Is anyone else having an issue seeing images?
View Quote

Not showing up for me either, but TinyPic hosted images never do. Figured it was just my phone.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:09:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Very nice!

I have to admit, when I saw the title of your thread and saw you were the author I half expected to read that you traded a carton of cigarettes and a rusty fork for it at a flea market.  You seem to get military surplus rifles for ridiculous deals.  

But $650 is a great price.  I walked away from a very similar one a few years ago at a gun show because the guy wanted $800.  I tried to get him down to $700 and he wouldn't budge.  I thought he'd be sitting on it for a while at that price.  But pretty soon I couldn't find any for under $1000.

Last year I ran across a Finn capture Tula in great condition.  I got it for $1300.  The price hurt a bit, but seeing that even regular refurbs were getting to that range, and knowing I probably wouldn't find a Finn capture SVT for that price again, I jumped on it.  Overall, I love it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:15:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I really like mine. Great shooter. PITA to clean.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Very nice!

I have to admit, when I saw the title of your thread and saw you were the author I half expected to read that you traded a carton of cigarettes and a rusty fork for it at a flea market.  You seem to get military surplus rifles for ridiculous deals.  

But $650 is a great price.  I walked away from a very similar one a few years ago at a gun show because the guy wanted $800.  I tried to get him down to $700 and he wouldn't budge.  I thought he'd be sitting on it for a while at that price.  But pretty soon I couldn't find any for under $1000.

Last year I ran across a Finn capture Tula in great condition.  I got it for $1300.  The price hurt a bit, but seeing that even regular refurbs were getting to that range, and knowing I probably wouldn't find a Finn capture SVT for that price again, I jumped on it.  Overall, I love it.
View Quote

For some reason they took a big bump in price a few years back...No good reason for it I could see.

After they dried-up from the distributors and hit the secondary market they moldered at around $600.00 for a long time then boom....1K+.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:17:06 PM EDT
[#15]
" />

My Finn
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:17:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I have one and like it.

For $650, you got a deal.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:26:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Love mine, also a plum colored bolt. Think I picked it up for $625 few years back. Has FTF quite often, otherwise great rifle.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#18]

I really like the dark red color of your stock.

My Finn-capture has a much lighter stock:

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:03:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://oi67.tinypic.com/1j1zdi.jpg

http://oi63.tinypic.com/2143upt.jpg

http://oi67.tinypic.com/264hurs.jpg

http://oi68.tinypic.com/21a542.jpg

I figured you would have one already.

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:35:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Great Stalin one time wrong. Big error SVT-40 making.  Too difficult for apart taking. Rotten trigger poor sighting and fragile of making.

Me had Kirov Arsenal 1941. Buy rifle for 300 rubles on trip with faithful dog to Edmonton. Nasty babushka no there overseas with family of evil.

Buying rifle big mistake. Me heartful of sadness.  Terrible mistake.  Later finding schmoe in Quebec buying rifle.

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:42:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:48:35 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Great Stalin one time wrong. Big error SVT-40 making.  Too difficult for apart taking. Rotten trigger poor sighting and fragile of making.

Me had Kirov Arsenal 1941. Buy rifle for 300 rubles on trip with faithful dog to Edmonton. Nasty babushka no there overseas with family of evil.

Buying rifle big mistake. Me heartful of sadness.  Terrible mistake.  Later finding schmoe in Quebec buying rifle.
View Quote
Lol....no

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:56:52 AM EDT
[#23]
My Finn really likes the wolf 148 grain ammo. A gas wrench as nentioned above is a must have.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice. I want one.

I missed the boat on these years ago.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:36:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I need one of these to go with my Russian and Finn Collection.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#26]
That's a good price.............I gave one with the groove to my buddy who absolutely drooled over it every time he saw it.

I couldn't stand his drooling any longer so I gave it to him for a Xmas or birthday present about 15 years ago.

He loves it.

I liked it also but I just can't get enough of ANYTHING AR15 and it was just collecting dust.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#27]
My Finn, made more stabby.

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 1:03:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Is anyone else having an issue seeing images?
View Quote

I just see money leaving my wallet after looking at this thread.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 1:07:22 PM EDT
[#30]
I want one, but not that bad.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 1:08:09 PM EDT
[#31]
I'd love to have an SVT.

7.62X54. Big bang on a small budget. If only the rifles were cheap and plentiful.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Kirov  Arsenal SVT 40 even having stock of Naval Infantry.  Happy day when buying rifle with canine comrade.  But sad misery of having.

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 1:16:50 PM EDT
[#33]
I need to dig mine out I believe it is a 39 or 40 model refurbished I have never even shot mine.  All matching # and the stock is not cracked   hell maybe I will trade for a grand
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 1:21:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That's a good price.............I gave one with the groove to my buddy who absolutely drooled over it every time he saw it.

I couldn't stand his drooling any longer so I gave it to him for a Xmas or birthday present about 15 years ago.

He loves it.

I liked it also but I just can't get enough of ANYTHING AR15 and it was just collecting dust.
View Quote

I discovered that just because they have the grooves (all Tula did till mid-1941 or so) unless it has the shallow slot milled out of the top of the rear receiver for the sniper mount's spring pin it was not a ex-sniper.

Hell some forums will ban you if you post a pic of "the slot" or it's dimensions lest the nefarious have it milled (easy to do) and sell it as a ex-sniper.

The "secret notch" with proof:

LOL....A scope on a SVT is a exercise in chin-weld.

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 1:42:04 PM EDT
[#35]
For some reason they took a big bump in price a few years back...No good reason for it I could see.
View Quote

Banned from further imports. Which is why they are relatively inexpensive in Canuckistan, and pricey here.

Doing some research, it seems that the mags were generally kept in the locked position and reloads done by stripper clip, so spare mags were rarely issued. I have found with mine that that this is faster anyway, and knowing the Soviets they would have preferred the cheaper method, especially since Mosins used the same clips.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top