Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2003 3:14:12 PM EDT
I broke the blade on my Benchmade today, good knives, shitty crowbars.
I think I want to try an auto knife this time, Any of ya'll carry an auto? and how do you like it? any drawbacks to an auto ?
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want a semi-automatic, i'd get a Kershaw.  You just push on the part of the (unsharpened), then the knife just pops out.

Small [url]http://www.ultraknives.com/products.php?id=23[/url]

or big [url]http://www.ultraknives.com/products.php?id=20[/url]

I have a Chive and it was great until one of my friends became a little bitch and stole it.  When i find them, there will be an ass-whoppin.

Edit:  On my chive, there was a little slide button that kept the knife from popping open in your pocket.  It also had a pocket clip.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I have experience with the benchmade line of AUTO's. I really like the 9050SBT AFO and 9100SBT Auto Stryker. They are heavy duty knives and can take a lot of abuse. They open with such force that you really need to hang onto the thing so it doesn't fly out of your hand. I think they are good bang for the buck...

C4
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#3]
If your interested in assisted-opening knives, I like the SOG Flash [url]http://www.sogknives.com/flash.htm[/url] They are almost as fast and are much cheaper. I used to carry one every day before I got my BM.

C4
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want to saty with a semi I would also suggest the SOG flash and the Kershaw Ken onion line of assisted openers. I own both and they are very nice.  

Now if you want a real auto look no further then microtech. I have a UMS that is a badass knife. Very strong spring, very sharp, excellent construction. They can be found for around $150  or less. I compared a benchmade auto and a microtech auto side by side when my buddy wanted to buy the benchmade. After firing both and handling them the microtech is clearly a better blade. Check em out !
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:56:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I carry a Pro-Tech auto, and a Benchmade as well. The Pro-Tech was purchased from 1Stop knife shop.com. Excellent company/service!
AB
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Microtech, MICROTECH!!!!! Unequaled in production autos
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:17:34 PM EDT
[#7]
These things will take a ton of abuse.
[url]www.severtech.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:24:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Consider the Columbia River Knife and Tool (CKRT) line of M16 knives.  Besides being a good knife for ARF.com members, it features a unique one-handed opening system called the Carson Flipper.  I personally carry the M16 Titanium model:

[url]http://www.crkt.com/m16titan.html[/url]

While not an auto, it is very fast to deploy, (with practice), without some of the legal baggage of an auto.  

My only issue with the knife is that, because of the design, there's no spring tension keeping the knife CLOSED.  I've had two incidents where the inertia of dropping the knife on the ground has caused the blade to open, leaving me with the problem of a spinning open blade bouncing around by my toes....not the most comfortable situation.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:29:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Autos are cool. I carry a Microtech L-UDT with a stonewashed finish. Really nice.
Go to [url]www.bladeforums.com/[/url] and click on the auto forum for a lot of ideas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top