Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2003 7:14:03 PM EDT
[vent on]

I'm really disgusted with gunbroker.  I found two obvious examples of shill bidding on Class 3 items -- see links below -- where the same 3 or 4 bidders bid on the seller's items.  I've written gunbroker about this guy twice, the second letter more sternly worded than the first.  They have done nothing, and the seller keeps relisting his items and shill bidding on them.

[vent off]

Here are the links.  By the way, the first is the ugliest MP5SD conversion ever.

[url]http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=9524774[/url]

and

[url]http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=9569233[/url]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#1]
you mean they are having someone drive up the price?
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:42:44 PM EDT
[#2]
That is not a shill, that is a guy trying to find the reserve without going over it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 12:34:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Just my opinion, but I don't think it's a shill either.  Even if it is, you can get around it by bidding only *once* within the last minute before the auction ends with your maximum offer.  If you win, all is well.

The key thing is to set in your own mind the most you are willing to pay, and not to pay a penny over it.  However, if you absolutely *must* have the item, well, be prepared to pay through the nose.

I personally think reserve auctions are a waste of time - if you're the seller, set the lowest price you're willing to take.  If people want the item, they'll bid it up anyway.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 12:40:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:23:49 AM EDT
[#5]
That H&K is beat and its still alot better looking than mine. [:(] oh wait I dont have one.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:42:15 AM EDT
[#6]
What's shill bidding?
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:49:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Shill bidding is were either the seller (using a 2nd account) or a 'cohort' of the seller bids on the item to artificially raise the price.

So, you place a maximum bid of $100 for an item, but the current price is only $50. The shill bidder will come in and bid $75 so that your bid will automatically rise to $76. If there are no other bidders, the seller just raised the price $26. If there are a number of bidders, he will place bids to start a bidding war then pull out at the end, again artifically raising the cost of the item. In either case, the buyer ends up paying more than he would if it was a legitimate auction.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:59:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Doesn't the seller run the risk that no one will top the shills last bid and the item won't sell.  I'm not sure of gunbroker's fees but on ebay the seller would still have to pay listing fees even if the item didn't sell.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:26:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Dang, that really IS an ugly MP5SD.
View Quote

Hard Times makes absolutely the worst (single leg) auto sear. They are notorious for breaking. It is not suprising their SD conversion looks like shit too.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:43:51 AM EDT
[#10]
[b]it's definitely a shill[/b]

Looks through the bid histories on the 2 auctions and then look at the seller's previous auctions.  It's always the same bidders in ALL this guy's auction.

Gunbroker posted an unhelpful response to me today:

[red]6/20/2003 3:18:54 AM
GB Support
 Complaints about shill bidding are reviewed and action is taken if shill bidding has occurred. If nothing was done then no evidence of shill bidding was found.  [/red]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:24:24 AM EDT
[#11]
WTF?  Is that a radiator hose for the bbl shroud???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top