Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2003 8:44:09 AM EDT
I want to have an exterminator do a termite/carpenter ant inspection and then set myself up on a maintenence plan.  I do not believe I have an infestation currently.

In your opinion, is it best to go with the local Orkin/Terminex/etc... franchise or go with a local company?  I'm afraid that the big guys will be more apt to hire idiots, as they have more procedures to hide behind, but I don't know.  Any idea how much a maintenence plan should cost for a 1700SQF two floor colonial?  Can they do their work without entering the house(not including the crawlspace)?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:04:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Best way I've found to get a good local pest control guy:
1: Call Realtor friend
2: Ask Realtor friend who he sends his clients  to.
Here's why.  Realtors have lists of people they trust to do work for them and clients.  If an agent keeps sending clients to a crappy exterminator, the agent will piss off his clients.  I am a Realtor, and I have great pest control guys.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:04:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Drift i just left a message for a friend that works for terminix. I'll let ya know what he says when he calls back.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:09:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Try Dale's Dead Bug. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:40:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I prefer the local guy.  He's been spraying my parents' house for years.  He's been spraying mine for 5 years.  My current house is about 1850 HSF and he charges $45 every 3 months.  Plus he comes for FREE anytime in between his scheduled visits if I have a bug problem.  I had ants in my truck one time - he got rid of them for no extra charge.  And he's extremely flexible with his time schedule - I prefer to be there when he's there, so he comes at 7 AM (before I go to work).
CR
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:56:21 AM EDT
[#5]
The benefit of a local guy doing it is you will most likely get the same guy every time...

That helps if he notices a problem area, he can focus on that for any future problems...

Sidebar:
When I moved into my house, the first day there a Terminex guy came by and started spraying.

I said, "Can I help you?"
Him: "I'm doing your pest control."
Me: "I just moved in, and haven't called anyone."
Him: "Well the previous owner had us out every month."
Me: (I know the previous owner) "Well, I'm not him, pack up your gear and leave please."
Him: "Well I already started."
Me: "Yeah?  So?  Am I supposed to pay you for services I didn't request, because if that's what you are expecting, you are going to be disappointed."
Him: "Fine."

And he storms away.

The previous owner had never dealt with them...  They were just looking to make a new client.

Link Posted: 6/19/2003 11:25:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Drift-ok he called me back-depending on where in the country you are the carpenter ants could cost between 500-700 depending on how bad. the termites would go more again depending on how bad, thats if you hve them. Those are a per year cost. I'd still just call and see what they say. The local guys will cost ya less i'm sure.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Huh!!? That much for prevention?  Damn, I'm probably going to call a local firm and get somone out to take a look.

Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top