BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2003 10:27:06 AM EDT
ATF raids Redmond ammunitions business
2003-06-18
by Catherine Hawley
Journal Reporter

REDMOND -- Federal agents spent Tuesday searching a Redmond ammunition business but declined to say what they were looking for.

Agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives filled several truck trailers with items from the business, a bystander said. Half a million rounds of .50-caliber ammunition are known to be stored there.

Agents could return to the same address today, a special agent from the Seattle field office said. A federal search warrant was executed early Tuesday and agents wearing blue ATF T-shirts worked into the evening, loading boxes into a truck trailer.

No one was arrested, said Matt Horace, assistant special agent in charge at the ATF's Seattle field division office. The search warrant authorizing the raid was sealed, he said.

Public safety was never threatened, said Agent Scott McKenna, another spokesman. ``It's part of a routine investigation.''

Neighbors identified the business as P.W. Arms Inc., one of a dozen or so businesses tucked in an industrial business park off 152nd Avenue Northeast. Prefabricated metal sheds contain an auto repair shop, a lumber company, a graphics firm and other small businesses. ATF agents used yellow caution tape to cordon off a large area in front of P.W. Arms.

A truck trailer was backed up to the warehouse-style door. By late afternoon, agents had filled several such trailers, one bystander told KIRO 7 News. One unnamed source said agents were seizing gun parts that could be assembled into illegal assault rifles, KIRO reported.

Redmond Fire Department records indicate half a million rounds of 50-millimeter ammunition are stored at the address, KOMO TV News reported. Workers at neighboring businesses told KOMO they watched sales and deliveries at the arms company and never suspected anything out of the ordinary. Several said they'd seen ATF agents visit before, but nothing like Tuesday's raid.

State records show P.W. Arms was incorporated in 1997. Its Web site says it sells sporting and hunting ammunition, shotgun cartridges and military ammunition from a Russian manufacturer. That manufacturer, Barnaul Ammunition Russia, lists itself as ``the world leader in and innovator in small arms ammunition.''

The P.W. Arms Web site gives the Redmond address on 152nd Avenue but a Pennsylvania phone number.

A man reached at that number identified himself as a P.W. Arms employee but said he and others had no idea what prompted Tuesday's events.

``We're in the dark,'' the man said.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Redmond Fire Department records indicate half a million rounds of 50-millimeter ammunition are stored at the address,
View Quote

Where do I get a 50millimeter rifle?  I want one!!!

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#2]
It was probably cause they didn't join the coalition.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:10:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, can I convert my 50mm rifle to a handgun????

Think birdman can do the mods?????

TXL
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Wanna bet it was tax evasion? Gotta pay that %11.5 to gov't for the ammo that you sell bud!
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I too want to hear more about this 50mm stuff!
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:34:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

It'll shoot through a school.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the germans had 50MM guns on WWII [url=http://www.wargamer.com/articles/panzeriii/page2.asp]panzers[/url]

Who knows?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Yeah, but will it penetrate body armor???
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:00:54 PM EDT
[#9]
b.s.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:04:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#11]
WOW that converts to 1.969 inches.

Don the dumb ass reporter reporting.

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:38:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I met the owner once. Nice enough fellow. I hope they dont burn down my house tonight.

The [url=http://www.kirotv.com/news/2276557/detail.html]King 5 story[/url] I read claimed that;

Sources tell us what they found here is guns -- imported in separate pieces so they're legal -- but the parts can be put together to create illegal assault rifles.
View Quote

I also go that from another local independant source.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#13]
What the hell is a "sealed warrant?"  Sounds like JBT SOP to me.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:35:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 1:36:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Maybe they bought some of those Inter Ord parts kits.

Then again it is all a part of "Operation Safe Streets" and the strict enforcement of existing laws.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 1:40:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

You can shoot down satellites with it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 1:54:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 1:59:52 AM EDT
[#18]
I had a Kaboom with HEAT 50mm ammo out of my Antitank rifle a couple days ago. Luckily it only
blew off two arms and I have a bolt assembly where my left eye used to be......I'm typing this  with the protruding bolt right now. Gives a new meaning to the term "head-banging".

It's kinda kewl though, I look like that guy in the 3rd hellraiser movie with the zoom lense for an occular.....[BD]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 10:26:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:43:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
WOW that converts to 1.969 inches.

Don the dumb ass reporter reporting.
View Quote

The woman reporter who don't know the diff between 50-mm and 50 caliber has got some problems.

But seriously, I've always had problems with in general with reporters who don't know anything about what they are reporting and has to summarize something into a couple column-inches. Something definitely gets lost in the translation.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:52:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Hey, one of those AZ guys has a 50mm rifle;

at least that's what those German guys told me.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:53:42 AM EDT
[#22]
[red]One unnamed source said agents were seizing gun parts that could be assembled into illegal assault rifles, KIRO reported.[/red]

parts that could be made into illegal assault weapons? Damn i thought you could stock and sell replacment parts for pre-ban weapons...WTF.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:04:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
[red]One unnamed source said agents were seizing gun parts that could be assembled into illegal assault rifles, KIRO reported.[/red]

parts that could be made into illegal assault weapons? Damn i thought you could stock and sell replacment parts for pre-ban weapons...WTF.
View Quote

sounds like a bad reason to shut them down, it dosnt seem fair that a dealer cant stock both preban and postban parts in the same store. Do they need to have seperate facilities for the different parts?
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 9:55:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

what, and have [b]two[/b] buildings for them to burn down?
sounds like a bad reason to shut them down, it dosnt seem fair that a dealer cant stock both preban and postban parts in the same store. Do they need to have seperate facilities for the different parts?
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:17:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:02:55 PM EDT
[#26]
[url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/rules/2003-2.pdf[/url]

[url]http://www.kingcountyjournal.com/sited/story/html/135097[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top