Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2003 2:23:35 AM EDT
[url=newstranscript.gmnews.com/news/2003/0618/Front_Page/023.html]Holt, Karcher call for assault
weapons ban to stay in effect[/url]

By anna kreyman
Staff Writer

MARLBORO — Congressman Rush Holt (D-NJ) brought a message to town last week. He wants to convince the Garden State’s congressional delegation to keep alive the federal ban on assault weapons.

Township Council President Ellen Karcher supported Holt’s proposal to sign a joint letter to House of Representatives Majority Leader Congressman Tom DeLay (R-Texas) asking him not to let the federal assault weapons ban die.

According to a press release from Holt’s office, New Jersey has had an assault weapons ban since March 1990, four years before the federal ban passed Congress in 1994. The federal ban is due to expire in September 2004.

DeLay is against the reauthorization of the ban, according to a spokeswoman in his Washington, D.C., office.

Karcher is running for state Senate in the 12th District this fall. Holt’s district includes part of Marlboro.

In a meeting with reporters at the Marlboro Middle School, Route 520, Holt said studies have shown that the assault weapons ban is an effective means to curb violent crime in America.

"There has been a 63 percent reduction of the number of offenses involving semiautomatic weapons in New Jersey since this ban has been implemented," he said.

Holt pointed out that this ban allows for community safety and protects the people who protect residents — the police.

[b]"Assault weapons are for human slaughter," he said. "They are certainly not for hunting."[/b]

Karcher said she believes the safety of her family would be undermined if the ban on the weapons were to be lifted.

"I have three young children and I am concerned about their safety and that’s why I think the ban on assault weapons is critical," she said.

Kim Ward-Basco, a New Jersey state representative for the Million Mom March, said assault weapons are the type of weapons that were used by the two teenagers who committed an attack on students and staff members at Columbine High School, Littleton, Colo., in 1999.

"We marched on Washington, D.C., for sensible gun control. We became a movement and created local chapters," Ward-Basco said. "We are just trying to tell people that this ban needs to be reauthorized. Assault weapons are for killing a lot of people in a short amount of time."

Holt said supporters of the ban be­lieve that most Americans want it for protection against assault weapons.

[red]"I can’t figure out the purpose for indi­viduals to carry assault weapons," said Rabbi Donald A. Weber of Temple Rodeph Torah, Mohawk Drive.[/red]

Marlboro Middle School Principal Stephan Charton added his voice to the position taken by Holt and Karcher.

A representative of CeaseFire New Jersey was also present at the press conference. CeaseFire New Jersey is a state-wide foundation with programs aimed at diminishing gun violence through education.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:29:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:32:36 AM EDT
[#2]
bingo
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:43:39 AM EDT
[#3]
What a bunch of assholes.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:54:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Didn't I see a picture in the hunting forum of a deer that was taken with an FAL-type rifle?  Seems pretty sporting to me.

Besides, when I mention I have an AR and somebody asks, "You have an assault weapon?" I say, "No, it's not an assault weapon.  It's a homeland defense rifle."
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:56:29 AM EDT
[#5]
"I have three young children and I am concerned about their safety and that’s why I think the ban on assault weapons is critical," she said.
View Quote

They're more likely to be injured or killed in an automobile ma'am.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:25:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Will it be politically correct to beat the living crap outa these liberals if they succeed in taking away our means of protecting our families and property if we are attacked or overrun by a foriegn army or more likely by dirtbag Americans? I guess they figure they will get preferential treatment from these folks after the country has fallen apart. Hell yes I have weapons for the specific purpose of killing whoever threatens my family. I also have specific weapons for hunting in order to survive.

I for the life of me cannot understand the thought processes of these morons. The history of America is attatched at the hip to the history of the gun. Weapons have helped get us where we are and will help keep us here. Why these non patriots want to disarm law abiding citizens just escapes me. Very frustrating indeed!!

Shabo
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:39:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
[red]"I can’t figure out the purpose for indi­viduals to carry assault weapons," said Rabbi Donald A. Weber of Temple Rodeph Torah, Mohawk Drive.[/red]
View Quote

Hmmmmm.....the RABBI speaks!

And another RABBI said: "Don't worry, the Nazis will treat us just fine, hand your weapons over to them and get onto the trucks. They are taking us for hot showers."

SOME PEOPLE NEVER LEARN!
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:42:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I plan to send Rabbi Weber a letter and try to educate him, I suggest you do the same;
Temple Rodeph Torah
P.O. Box 125, Mohawk Drive
Marlboro, New Jersey 07746
(732) 308-0055
(732) 294-0232 FAX
or send him a FAX.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:02:39 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

The main reason, as I've stated before, [b]is so that citzens of the United States of America are armed, (legally under the Second Ammendment), with weapons equal to those carried by the "armed forces" in this country, incase it becomes necessary to "over-throw" a tyrannical government[/b].

Given the blatant enactment of the so-called "Patriot Act", by those we've elected, (who by the way never even had a clue, what they were signing) and the push on now to pass the "Patriot Act II", (probably under the same conditions, reading it AFTER it's passed), this is IMO a more necessary right [b]NOW than EVER[/b].

As an aside, guess no-one noticed, [b]HOW QUICKLY[/b] the "Patriot Act I" showed up after 9/11. Probably because, the year to year and a half it took to write and come up w/ it had been done way back before the OKC bombing, but our elected officials (mostly Republican) pitched a fit over it then, as it required a more [b]IMPRESSIVE[/b] action like 9/11 to create the [b]FEAR[/b] necessary to have those we've elected trash our beloved Constitution.

Intimidation and fear are the tools of tyrannical governments, seems like we got one of those now, right here in the USA!

Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong...

Mike

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:13:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Nah, assault weapons aren't for human slaughter.  That's what my 10/22 is for.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:51:47 AM EDT
[#11]
My letter to the Rabbi;
Maybe it will make a difference maybe not.
----------------------------------------------
Rabbi Donald Weber
Temple Rodeph Torah

Rabbi,
You name and comment recently appeared in the news as;

"I can’t figure out the purpose for individuals to carry assault weapons," said Rabbi Donald A. Weber of Temple Rodeph Torah, Mohawk Drive.

Let me try to explain it to you in a manner you can understand.

The second amendment to the Constitution for the United States of America is a reference to my GOD GIVEN RIGHT of personal self defense and defense of my family against thugs, criminals, murderers and government.
Neither you or your confused political friends can change that.

I have a question for you.
How can you advocate personal disarmament in the light of Jewish history?
Would you have advocated disarming the Jews of the Warsaw ghetto as the Nazis closed in?
Would you have advocated disarming the Jews as they took the homeland of Israel in 1948?
Do you now advocate disarming the Jews of Israel? Wouldn’t Israel be safer if we just took the “assault weapons” from the citizens of Israel?
It seems you prefer disarmament and passivity to strength of resistance toward evil forces.
That's called cowardice.

I urge you to contact;
Aaron Zelman - Executive Director
Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership
P.O. Box 270143
Hartford, WI 53027
Phone (262) 673-9745
Fax (262) 673-9746
www.jpfo.org

Maybe hearing from another Jew will change your attitude.
I have included a writing from Chicago Rabbi Ariel Bar Tzadok that may help you understand.

No, your political friends who have the intention of disarming us are in for a very rude awakening.
As your people fought the Nazis, my God fearing people will fight the Political Nazis who intend to disarm us.
Any questions?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:56:30 AM EDT
[#12]
You'd think a guy from NJ would be satisfied with his own little ban.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:20:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Didn't I see a picture in the hunting forum of a deer that was taken with an FAL-type rifle?  Seems pretty sporting to me.

Besides, when I mention I have an AR and somebody asks, "You have an assault weapon?" I say, "No, it's not an assault weapon.  It's a homeland defense rifle."
View Quote

If some one asks if i have an assault weapon or claims i have an assault weapon i say no i don't, because I own a post-ban ar15 which by legal definition is not an assault weapon as it does not have the cosmetic features required to be an assault weapon, I have a Sport Utility Rifle. Go anywhere shoot anything.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:33:53 AM EDT
[#14]
That's about par for the state of No Joyzee.....
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:35:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Assault weapons are for killing a lot of people in a short amount of time."
View Quote

No. A Ryder truck filled with fertilizer soaked in diesel fuel is for killing a lot of people in a short amount of time.

An airliner with full tanks of jet fuel crashed into one (or two) of the largest buildings in the world is for killing a lot of people in a short amount of time.

Some people will say anything for their cause and not have a clue as to what the hell they are talking about.

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:39:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Nice Letter Tumor.. let us know if you get a responce
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:54:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

or the friggin' BATHTUB, or the STAIRS...both of which account for far more injuries to young children than guns of any type.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:13:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:25:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Or how about 100,000 each and every year by your friendly doctor.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:34:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Soccer Moms...go figure...
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:38:24 AM EDT
[#21]
hahaha, very funny
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:40:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I plan to send Rabbi Weber a letter and try to educate him, I suggest you do the same;
Temple Rodeph Torah
(732) 308-0055
(732) 294-0232 FAX
or send him a FAX.
View Quote

And don't forget to send him a link to the JPFO
[url]http://www.jpfo.org/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:47:03 AM EDT
[#23]
The Soccer Mom's are more likely to kill their own young 'uns in car accidents while they're jabbering on the cell phone, I saw it happen.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:51:57 AM EDT
[#24]
How about this?  Dear Rabbi:  As the son of a Holocaust survivor, I can assure you that about 6 million Jews who died in the Nazi gas chambers did not own military pattern weapons prior to being loaded into cattle cars and herded into "showers" like animals.  

My children will not ride cattle cars.

I own so-called "assault weapons" to maintain my freedom.  You, apparently, have the "gas chamber mentality".  I am so sorry for you.

I will remain,

Free

Sincerely,
(my name)
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#25]
They better be for killing people. If they arent, I dont know why I bought one!
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If some one asks if i have an assault weapon or claims i have an assault weapon i say no i don't, because I own a post-ban ar15 which by legal definition is not an assault weapon as it does not have the cosmetic features required to be an assault weapon, I have a Sport Utility Rifle. Go anywhere shoot anything.
View Quote

Even if you had a pre-ban AR-15 type rifle, you STILL DO NOT HAVE AN ASSAULT WEAPON.

An assault weapon has the capability for semi-automatic fire, select fire (a burst), or full automatic fire, and is generally a shoulder fired weapon. There are some assault pistols (Mini & Micro- Uzi's, some H&K, and others), but they generally lack a bayonet lug and shoulder stock.

Anyone that allows the opposition to label the item a certian way, and doesn't challenge it is helping the other side.

Educate the idiots who don't know (and who can be educated).
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:51:28 PM EDT
[#27]
It's all IRRELEVANT (ILLEGAL) BULL SHIT !!!!!!

see the 2nd Amendment below.

Doesn't say shit about:

Assault
Hunting
Sport
Automatic
Semi-automatic
Machine guns
Rifles
pistols
revolvers
short
long

etc...

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:06:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Damn straight its for killing people.  "...all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

It works well on wild pigs too and they taste better.[:D]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:16:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

[b]"Assault weapons are for human slaughter," he said. "They are certainly not for hunting."[/b]

View Quote

So?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top