Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/17/2003 10:54:48 AM EDT
My wife just called me a few minutes ago that two ATF agents came visiting.  They left their phone number and said it's not a big deal.  They told my wife they'd be back in their office in 30 min., and that I should call them.

Stay tuned.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:55:58 AM EDT
[#1]

Nomex Underwear
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:56:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you have fire extinguishers?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Did you buy anything from InterOrd...?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Did you forget to cross a "t" or dot an "i" on your last form? Shame on you. Hope your court appearance goes well.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:57:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Its always "No Big Deal" at first.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:58:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, "no big deal". Isnt that what they told the Branh Dividians on thier first visit?

Tell them to call your lawyer and talk to them.

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Of course it's no big deal. To[i]them[/i]  it's no big deal.

Pick up some vaseline on the way home, you'll be alright.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:02:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

My thought too.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:11:59 AM EDT
[#9]
We have a saying around here; If ONE federal agent shows up on your doorstep, invite him in for coffee.  If TWO federal agents show up on your doorstep, lock the door and call your attorney.

Good luck, don't forget that you DO NOT have to talk to them and YOU CAN ALWAYS ASK FOR YOUR LAWYER.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:15:50 AM EDT
[#10]
"Say hel-lo to my little fwiend."
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:18:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Shoot their nuts off :-)
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Do you have an FFL or clase III?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:20:32 AM EDT
[#13]
You should have nothing to worry about, I mean, they are only here to help..........right ??
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Good luck man. Hope for the best but plan for the worst. They ain't your friends...
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:21:58 AM EDT
[#15]
quick, send me all your guns! [;)]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:24:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My wife just called me a few minutes ago that two ATF agents came visiting.  They left their phone number and said it's not a big deal.  They told my wife they'd be back in their office in 30 min., and that I should call them.

Stay tuned.
View Quote

Wouldn't they have just called if it wasn't a big deal....?  I hope we back hear from you soon.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:25:59 AM EDT
[#18]
TFFR
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:26:16 AM EDT
[#19]
2 agents?

A while back I decided to get in on the 870 Express deal for $189.00 at my local Boscov's.  So I get to the store and look at one on the shelf and say get me one from the back.  The kid goes and gets one that has not been on display.  I open it up look it over.  "I'll take it!".  Fill out the 4473 and all and out the door I go.  About 3 hours after I get home a knock at the door.  Agent so and so from the BATF needs to see the shotgun.  Turns out the kid at the counter used the serial # from the shotgun on the shelf, not the one I bought but didn't realize until I had already left the store.  The agent was cool and fixed the SNAFU and went about his day.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#20]
To them, when it is a big deal they shoot your dogs and burn down your house. Everything else is "no big deal."
Good Luck!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:28:32 AM EDT
[#21]
I think someone has just given you the best advice........remember, you don't have to talk to them or answer any questions.  If they need a reference tell them to consult the US Constitution, providing they have heard of such a document.

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
To them, when it is a big deal they shoot your dogs and burn down your house. Everything else is "no big deal."
Good Luck!
View Quote

Yeah, no big deal is 1-15 Fed time.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:36:08 AM EDT
[#23]
IBTF
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:56:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Fill out the 4473 and all and out the door I go.  About 3 hours after I get home a knock at the door.
View Quote

[b][red]3 hours[/red][/b]?  [:O]  How is that possible?  How does the ATF learn about your purchase, figure out that the serial is wrong, and get an agent to your house in 3 hours?  Even if the store owner realized the mistake, wouldn't he be calling you?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:57:43 AM EDT
[#25]
It probably really is no big deal.  If it was anything big they would have had a search warrant with them and they wouldn't have given you time to get rid of anything they thought you had.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

As it were, that was what the visit about.  Just talked the Agent M about a FN FAL part kit I bought from them several years ago.  Appearantly ONE part from the lower receiver weren't suppose to be sold, and they are tracking it down.  I told Agent M I tossed most of the lower receiver parts away after replacing them with US made parts (the truth, BTW)
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 12:02:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 12:08:23 PM EDT
[#28]
[s]Was it a machine-gun part?[/s]
So, they think its now a machine gun kit? hmmm

I know that this has happened before with other firearm kits...

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 12:10:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Here's some more info...

[url]http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=a063b24292dcebea4a92fbda0b4c5cc3&forumid=52[/url]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 12:41:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#31]
One small piece of metal?  Was it radioactive?  Was it explosive?  Was it a remnant of the original Cross that Christ was cricified on?  If not, why are they wasting their time and yours? [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 1:18:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I know this will fly against paranoid opinion, but as Javak said, it really was no big deal.  Apparently they believed him.  This has been going on all over the country for months now.  The agents call or show up.  Take the offending part or accept that it was discarded or destroyed.  Record same for the case file, and let the honest citizen get on about their business after politely thanking them.  Two pages for a receiver part that pretty much everyone already knows they are going around collecting or accounting for anyways. Now that is funny.
View Quote

I think an unannounced visit is something to get worried about.  If it's not a big deal, send a letter!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:04:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I think an unannounced visit is something to get worried about.  If it's not a big deal, send a letter!
View Quote

After checking out falfile site, appearantly certified letters were sent out.  I used a mail drop address when I bought the kit that I no longer have, which will explain why they come knocking.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Our tax dollars hard at work.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:22:38 PM EDT
[#36]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
Fill out the 4473 and all and out the door I go. About 3 hours after I get home a knock at the door.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 hours?  How is that possible? How does the ATF learn about your purchase, figure out that the serial is wrong, and get an agent to your house in 3 hours? Even if the store owner realized the mistake, wouldn't he be calling you?
View Quote

The store manager called them when the kid told him of the screw up.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:28:12 PM EDT
[#37]
They haven't arrived at my house yet. 2 receivers and 4 kits...kits were bought at shows so no record. They better bring a warrant if they want to come in.

I've seen so many incorrectly built firearms thats it no wonder they are out for us. I passed on the last 3 private sale FAL's cause they didn't meet the USA made parts swap.

Rick
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:35:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You would think in today's world of terrorism they could be doing something more productive.
View Quote

That's my boy.....[:D]

(I suppose I need to include this disclaimer;

I have no idea what color/race/religion/class/sexual orientation/ or gender, sherrick is. My post is simply a commentary, that sherrick is one PEACE Officer who it seems I almost always agree with!!) [snoopy]!!!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
After checking out falfile site, appearantly certified letters were sent out.  I used a mail drop address when I bought the kit that I no longer have, which will explain why they come knocking.
View Quote

And yet they had to know your stree address to come knocking, right?  I'm with the "waste of taxpayer dollars" crowd here.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:55:21 PM EDT
[#40]
I thought this was going to be another one of those "ComputerGuy" Horse shit stories.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
3 hours?  How is that possible? How does the ATF learn about your purchase, figure out that the serial is wrong, and get an agent to your house in 3 hours? Even if the store owner realized the mistake, wouldn't he be calling you?
View Quote

The store manager called them when the kid told him of the screw up.
View Quote

I see; I can understand how the manager would want to report it ASAP to cover his ass.  It's still seems pretty crazy that this would be so important to the ATF that they would send someone over the same day.  (Not questioning your story, but the waste of resources.)
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:32:54 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm in the military aircraft parts biz. When I buy spares from the gov, in many cases I have to fill out an End User Certificate. These are approved (after you get vetted similar to an FFL vetting I'm an FFL too)I bought some heli rotor parts ONLY used by New Zealand and Australia. No other country has the helos that use these parts. Some poor Defense Security Agency schlub who's based 120 miles away shows up almost monthly to verify these haven't gone to a "rouge nation" It's such bullshit and a waste of tax dollars, and I think he even agrees, although he has that cop-like lack of commincation thing going on. Anyway, I get him a cup of coffee, let him look at the boxes and he splits. Bottom line, usually no need to get excited unless they start to grill you. Then shutup and get a lawyer pronto.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:37:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
They haven't arrived at my house yet. 2 receivers and 4 kits...kits were bought at shows so no record. They better bring a warrant if they want to come in.

I've seen so many incorrectly built firearms thats it no wonder they are out for us. I passed on the last 3 private sale FAL's cause they didn't meet the USA made parts swap.

View Quote

Rick,
I've traced your IP address and forwarded your information to my co-workers at the Nashville BATFE field office, they will be by in a day or two for a visit.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:24:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Just spoke to the nice agent from ATF at my office in person.  He was polite and courteous in his polo shirt and khaki pants (no MIB getups here).  He asked me for my ID and showed me his, then explained why he's there.  He's out looking for the center piece of the receiver.  I told him I tossed it out years ago and no longer have it.  He then asked me several questions regarding InterOrd :

who did you talk to
did they tell you anything about machine guns
did the rep have foreign accent
were the parts assembled
by whom
does the gun function

then he told me that ATF considers THAT part a machine gun, and now I've been told, if I still have it, I better give it up lest I get caught with it and go to the pokey.

That was it, and I hope that's the last of it.  Good thing I wasn't home, or I'd have to explain to my wife what I did the the rest of the part kit [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Rick,
I've traced your IP address and forwarded your information to my co-workers at the Nashville BATFE field office, they will be by in a day or two for a visit.
View Quote

ComputerGuy, is that you...?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Face facts folks - - there are gun laws on the books, your Congressmen passed them, and they are going to be enforced.  Don't like them?  It's a democracy, try voting and organizing to change them through the politcal process.

Here we had a typical situation:  just law enforcement officers doing the job they are mandated to do.  They don't chase terrorists, they enforce the gun laws.  And obviously they have little interest in prosecuting basically legitimate people.

You tough guys with the tough talk will be the ones that get hassled over a nothing.  I'd like to see the bill your lawyer gives you for returning a phone call you could have done yourself.  And the next time you are stopped by a police officer, say nothing, do nothing and just give him (or her) a slip of paper with your lawyer's name and phone number on it.  Maybe he can help you with 5 traffic tickets you will receive (failure to signal, following too closely, speeding, obscured registration sticker, misaligned headlights).  Or maybe he can come down to the police station after you are placed in a line-up because your car and clothing matched a description of a rapist/robber/etc and you declined to speak to the police officer.

Great advice.  Adjust tin foil hat.

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:07:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:31:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Face facts folks - - there are gun laws on the books, your Congressmen passed them, and they are going to be enforced.  Don't like them?  It's a democracy, try voting and organizing to change them through the politcal process.

Here we had a typical situation:  just law enforcement officers doing the job they are mandated to do.  They don't chase terrorists, they enforce the gun laws.  And obviously they have little interest in prosecuting basically legitimate people.

You tough guys with the tough talk will be the ones that get hassled over a nothing.  I'd like to see the bill your lawyer gives you for returning a phone call you could have done yourself.  And the next time you are stopped by a police officer, say nothing, do nothing and just give him (or her) a slip of paper with your lawyer's name and phone number on it.  Maybe he can help you with 5 traffic tickets you will receive (failure to signal, following too closely, speeding, obscured registration sticker, misaligned headlights).  Or maybe he can come down to the police station after you are placed in a line-up because your car and clothing matched a description of a rapist/robber/etc and you declined to speak to the police officer.

Great advice.  Adjust tin foil hat.

View Quote

So would you be in favor of cops setting up speed traps and writing tickets to [b]EVERONE[/b] who is going 56 in a 55? Afterall the are only doing their job right? What about cops posted at EVERY parking meter ready to write the ticket the VERY SECOND the meter expires? Or how about cops posted at every GUN RANGE in the country checking serial #`s of the fire arms you have? How bout if they knock on you door and want to look?

GET A GRIP!! Its my GOD given right to bitch about something I dont like. STUFF IT!!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#49]
My question is, are FAL's big crime guns???  Are there a lot of full auto FAL's causing trouble out there?  Lots of FAL kits being shipped to public housing units?  or to guys named Mohammed and Mustafah?

Seems like a waste of time, when there are Moslems all over that need watching.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:20:43 PM EDT
[#50]
we all know that muslims like AK47s. not FALs
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top