Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2003 9:06:00 AM EDT
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A61545-2003Jun15?language=printer

washingtonpost.com   PRINT ARTICLE ONLY  

U.S. Troops May Have to Go After Hamas, Lawmaker

Reuters
Sunday, June 15, 2003; 10:35 AM

By Lori Santos

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A leading Republican lawmaker said on Sunday U.S. forces may have to help "root out terrorism" in the Middle East conflict between Israel and the Palestinians, including taking aim at Hamas.

In an interview on "Fox News Sunday," Sen. Richard Lugar, the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said American forces might be part of an international force to help stop attacks by Hamas, the main group behind a campaign of suicide bombings against Israelis, and other groups.

Hamas has said it would reject any peace deal between Israel and the Palestinian Authority.

Lugar said such a force could be used to quell Israeli and Palestinian disputes, "and, maybe even more important, to root out the terrorism that is at the heart of the problem."

Asked if that meant such troops would go after Hamas or other groups, he said, "That may be the conclusion."

"...It may not be just Hamas but clearly Hamas is right in the gunsights," he added.

"DON'T UNDERESTIMATE PRESIDENT BUSH"

"...The terrorist aspect really has to be dealt with and that's why I say don't underestimate President Bush," Lugar said.

Lugar is headed to the region next week and said he, as well as top U.S. officials, would be there seeking to halt the cycle of violence that is jeopardizing the U.S.-backed peace "road map."

The United States has appealed for restraint from both sides after a week of bloodshed in which more than 50 people were killed.

Last week's violence included the killing of four soldiers in the Gaza Strip, a Palestinian suicide bombing on a Jerusalem bus and seven Israeli helicopter strikes on militants, including an attempt to assassinate a Hamas leader.

Bush has sent the veteran diplomat John Wolf to the region to prevent the failure of the peace plan affirmed at a June 4 summit in Aqaba, Jordan, with Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon and Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas.

Lugar said Secretary of State Colin Powell also would be free after meetings in Jordan next Sunday.

UNILATERAL ACTION?

Whether to insert forces into the volatile situation is being considered, including "whether they are to be all by themselves" or in conjunction with a United Nations or NATO force, he said.

"That is always a possibility but having said that, I would just say this is down the trail. We have to be very, very careful about the use of American forces," he said.

"But clearly, if force is required ultimately to root out terrorism, it is possible there would be American participation."

© 2003 Reuters
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:24:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Hamas, Al-Qiada, Teliban, what the hell is the difference? A dead terrorist is a dead terrorist in my book.
I say kill as many as we can when ever and where ever we can.
Do it for the children...

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:35:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree.

There will never be peace there as long as these assclowns are allowed to exist.They want nothing less than the total destruction of Israel.They cannot tolerate peace because they would have no power or reason to exist in such a climate.

The palistinians have allowed these cut throats to infiltrate there society so deeply with hospitals, schools and such that they delude themselves into to calling Hamas leadership "political"as with the attempted Isreali killing of one of their leaders last week.[rolleyes]

I say we show em some real down home American hospitality and home cookin.....go in there and clean the bastards out so that region can get on with life.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:36:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Happy hunting.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#4]
[b]"U.S. Troops May Have To Go After Hamas"[/b]

And the problem with THAT is...?
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 10:33:44 AM EDT
[#6]

[b][url=http://www.letsrumble.com/]Let's Get Ready To Rumble!!![/url][/b]

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 10:39:16 AM EDT
[#7]
O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem!

Fac ut vivas.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 10:50:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Fac ut vivas.
View Quote
Vescere bracis meis.

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:27:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#10]
There are Hamas, Hezbuallah, Islamic Jihad, and the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palistine General Command.

I think they all have killed Americans in the past either inside or outside Israel. Including killing 256 Marines in Berute in 83'. And we never took them to task for it.

All have to go for there to be peace in the region.

I have generally been against the involvement of US troops because of the specter they might have to confront Israeli troops who were just trying to defend their people. And because I just really didn't beleve that we could do much better at hunting these guys down than the Israelis were already doing.

But maybe its needed to break the cycle of retaliation-and to settle our own accounts with these murderers.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:40:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Lesee, what is that guys name again?? The One who guarantees the security of Israel??

You know, the guy at the end of the book......what's his face...[snoopy]!!!

Heh, heh, it's gettin' closer!!

"Even so come......." [:D]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 12:08:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 12:35:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't think we really need to go after them.
We need to just get out of the Isrealis way and let them do it.
View Quote

Exactly.  I'd rather not have US troops in that area unless it's to wipe out everything in sight.  Trying to "keep the peace" in that area is a lost cause and will only result in dead American Solders.

The Israelis can do it, we just need to let them.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 1:55:49 PM EDT
[#14]
baaaaad idea, the israelis are perfectly capable of eliminating hamas if we would let them in the first place, and i do not want to send our troops to that crazy assed area, you think suicide bombings are bad now, wait till 'the infedels' invade the holy land
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm all for hunter killer squads, but against peace keepers (read: targets).  

What's all that latin S#it mean?
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Bad idea for 2 reasons:

1. US military is about tapped out.
2. The blood of a million Israelies or Palestinans is not worth the blood of one pfc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top