Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2003 9:08:02 AM EDT
[url]www.jsonline.com/news/state/jun03/147078.asp?source=tmj4[/url]

Oh the fun, first we somehow get CWD in our deer herd, now the CDC and other "experts" are saying that monkeypox could, if some idiot lets their infected animals go, move into the rabbit and squirel populations. And since i don't put it past some to let an infected or unwanted animal go wild and free I think i'll declare war on the tree rat population of Wisconsin once again this year. [}:D]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:16:01 AM EDT
[#1]
A guy in southwestern Kansas died a couple of weeks back from hantavirus, which is commonly transmitted via contact with rat feces. Rat feces, for crying out loud.

Rats, ferrets, prairie dogs, chipmunks, rabbits, squirrels and all the other rodents and vermin are not clean animals. They are fine in the woods, but shouldn't be pets.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:41:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A guy in southwestern Kansas died a couple of weeks back from hantavirus, which is commonly transmitted via contact with rat feces. Rat feces, for crying out loud.

Rats, ferrets, prairie dogs, chipmunks, rabbits, squirrels and all the other rodents and vermin are not clean animals. They are fine in the woods, but shouldn't be pets.
View Quote

I agree, beside Pdogs are targets not pets same with tree rats, a wabbits. Hell the only reason i don't hunt Pdogs is cuz there are none in wisconsin in the wild(that i know of) and i doubt i'd eat one at least wabbits and tree rats are tasty in a stew.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:44:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I was just at the range sighting in w/ some new 62 gr Nosler Ballistic tips....I pitty any rodent that gets within 250 yds of me.[;D]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:00:20 AM EDT
[#4]
So what do you make of all this Stoney?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:17:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow...someone actually asked for my opinion. I gotta record this date on my calendar!

What do I make of this?
On one hand, it scares me that some third world disease has come to my backyard. And has the capability of spreading to other life forms. I may rethink about having squirrel stew, and rabbit braised in a cherry cognac sauce. From now on, it might wind up being a good souce of fertilizer for the farm on which I hunt.

On the other hand, I think it could make all the animal rights freaks understand that nature is not a kind place. Peace nad harmony will not reign supreme if all the animals were free. That disease can hurt not only animals, but humans as well. Of course, they won't fully comprehend this until they get some incurable disease from trying to save "bambi". (a generic term)

On the third hand (didn't know that about me, did you?) I think it serves these people right for considering prarie dogs and rats as pets. Yeah, they may be cute and look innocent and clean, but in actuality, they are VERY dirty animals. Leave them in friggin' nature and stick with the animals we all know as pets.
(not that I willfully wish for human uncomfort unless it's a Liberal, Democrat or Anti)

There, you asked, I told.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Any of you guys catch the news segment where they showed the p-dog sale sign at the pet shop.

$159!!!

Everytime you pull the trigger on a p-dog, you're blowing away $159.  Man-o-man I thought African safaris were expensive.

Next disease is MCD.  On yesterday's news, an "expert" was sent to Canada to review how they handled their first case.  This same expert stated that it is likely that this disease is already in the USA.

I'm just glad we don't have tumble flies [shiver]

Forgot to add.  All the p-dog cases were traced to a pet store in Chicago.  The p-dogs caught it from a Gambian rat.
[img]http://www.rzu2u.com/jpg/gambian.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:27:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Slightly OT, but:

1)  Monkeypox would be a great name for a band.

2)  Monkeypox is my new leader in the category of "things that sound like fun but really aren't".
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Wow...someone actually asked for my opinion. I gotta record this date on my calendar!

What do I make of this?
On one hand, it scares me that some third world disease has come to my backyard. And has the capability of spreading to other life forms. I may rethink about having squirrel stew, and rabbit braised in a cherry cognac sauce. From now on, it might wind up being a good souce of fertilizer for the farm on which I hunt.

On the other hand, I think it could make all the animal rights freaks understand that nature is not a kind place. Peace nad harmony will not reign supreme if all the animals were free. That disease can hurt not only animals, but humans as well. Of course, they won't fully comprehend this until they get some incurable disease from trying to save "bambi". (a generic term)

On the third hand (didn't know that about me, did you?) I think it serves these people right for considering prarie dogs and rats as pets. Yeah, they may be cute and look innocent and clean, but in actuality, they are VERY dirty animals. Leave them in friggin' nature and stick with the animals we all know as pets.
(not that I willfully wish for human uncomfort unless it's a Liberal, Democrat or Anti)

There, you asked, I told.
View Quote

I'm waiting for some poor wabbit or tree rat to show signs of the virus. And for the DNR to start an eradication program like in the CWD zone. But i'm waiting for the reaction from the antis. Yah know the whole its not right to kill 25000+ deer because they might have a dealdy sickness. I want to see if they say the same thing about the bunnies and tree rats, after all those animals are more likly to come into contact with humans than deer, so there is more risk to us as they are plentiful in urban areas.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:29:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Slightly OT, but:

1)  Monkeypox would be a great name for a band.

2)  Monkeypox is my new leader in the category of "things that sound like fun but really aren't".
View Quote

[ROFL2] [ROFL]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:39:08 AM EDT
[#10]
2-4-5 Trioxin.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#11]
HIV is suspected to come from SIV: cross-species jumping from primates.

SARS is thought to come from civet cats: cross-species jumping.

Monkey virus transmitted via prarie dogs (and that damn Gambian Rat):  cross-species jumping.

Seems to me that we should leave the f*&@ing animals alone.  Not in a hippie tofu/soy world sort of way - more of a if it ain't already domesticated it doesn't need to be sleeping in your house kind of way.

Perhaps The Nuge has it right...
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:54:00 AM EDT
[#12]
The PETA types are still going to blame this on humans, and declare the innocent animals to be the real victims.  After all, the whole monkeypox thing never would've happened if humans hadn't been so bent on satisfying their urges to domesticate and subjegate new species as pets.  

Best solution is to just round up all the infected animals and give them to PETA volunteers to nurse back to health.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:57:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Thats the best solution i've ever heard. Kill two birds...er vermin with one...yah you know what i mean.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top