Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2003 11:46:42 PM EDT
Sick topic but in my industry I get cut... More than anyone should go through, but on that rare occasion I manage to burn myself on a freshly welded piece of tubing or hot solder and HEY!! I even once managed to burn myself with an oxy-acetylene torch... mmmmmm smelled good I was ready for lunch. I can even take broken bones (twice)

What (if you had the choice) would be the LAST option , if you had a choice?

Burn
Cuts
Broken bones??

(What questions we come up with when we are tired huh??)
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:04:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I have had them all and burns are the worst!

One time helping my grandfather in his welding shop while he was bending a peice of steel.  He was heating it with an acetylene torch and hitting it with a hammer.  He asked my to tighten the vise it was in.  Instinctively and stupidly i grabbed the steel he was heating to support my leverage for tightening the vise.  I has on big blistered and seared hand for 2 months.  All healed well and thank god for the spinal response.  Had the ol' brain been in command I would have literally cooked my hand.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:11:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Never had a broken bone (knock on wood), so I can't answer that.

Never really had a severe burn either.  Just the usual kitchen burns.  Was welding once and had a piece of slag get into the top of my boot.  Ended up burning into the top of my foot about 1/2" deep.  Hurt like hell.

For me, cuts are the worst.  I once sliced my left index finger from the middle joint to the nail all the way to the bone.  That was over 10 years ago and I can still imagine the feel of that steel as it sliced my skin.  I can barely stand the thought of having my skin cut.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:14:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Been cut. Luckily it cut nerve and I didnt feel much (and still dont).  Burns SUCK.  If you arent rubbing them on something, they are either stuck to the bandage or stuck to something else.  Broken bones creep me out since the first time I ever heard on break.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 3:20:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Had all three.

Broken bones can take months to heal, and often lead to arthritis in the affected area, as I can personally atest to. Bones shattered by gunfire are painful for a long time, like decades.

Now a really bad burn, like over a very large portion of your body, would be worse over the short term, but most "normal" burns will heal much more quickly than broken bones, though the pain from burns will definitely be more intense for the short term. I got burned over a large portion of my chest once (never fry anything while not wearing a shirt) and was in intense, "take your breath away" pain for three days; I could barely move.

You also forgot crushing injuries. I am coming off a really bad case of "M1 thumb." It got infected, too, despite the fact that it was a closed injury and the pain was bad enough that I couldn't sleep for two nights.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:40:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I've shuddered at some of the stories that come out of burn wards.  I've also heard Dave Roever tell his story a few times.  He was a Brown Water/Black Beret guy in VN (Riverine warfare) and a WP grenade detonated in his hand (Later they discovered a bullet hole in the back of his hand- talk about your basic bad luck!).

I'd avoid all off these as much as possible.  My main experience is with cuts of various severity.  I got over them.  I've had a few cracks in bones, but no hard breaks.  The burns I've had were pretty mild, but it seemed to me the level of pain was disproportionate to the observable damage.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:21:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Burns are the worst. Right now I have a broken foot. It hurts, but not as bad as the pain of a really bad burn. Breaks take a while to heal, and I have had to learn my limitations. The down side is I can't work for a while and I can't even be on it for any length of time.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:12:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I posted a topic similar to this and it was locked within 5 minutes. Why isn't the same being done here?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:22:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Two lessons I learned about welding/cutting.

1) Never wear jeans that have a frayed rip, or hole.
I did, and caught on fire -big time.
I was ablaze.  It hurt.

2) NEVER wear button-fly 501 Jeans.
The odds are slim, but if a hot spark, or slag finds its way.....
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:27:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I survived 3rd-degree burns over 33% of my body with 2nd-degree over another third. It hurts. A lot. Not recommended.

I've had a number of deep cuts, a few requiring stitches. Hurts for a while, then goes away.

I've had a broken arm which only really hurt when it was being set. I have at least one broken toe and three (I think) broken ribs which have been broken for over 20 years. I just kind of live with those. They just sort of ache every now and then. In fact, I'd take a broken bone over a badly damaged muscle or ligament any day.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:24:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I posted a topic similar to this and it was locked within 5 minutes. Why isn't the same being done here?
View Quote

"Because..."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top