Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2003 2:04:43 PM EDT
I'm pretty sick of the fact that most states, including my own, have outlawed the open wearing of weapons, particularly firearms.  It seems to me that what we need is a nation Open Carry Weapons Law, which would allow just about anyone (except for certain career criminals) to strap on a sixgun anytime they feel the need to and to walk the streets.  It's my natural right as an American to wear a sixgun and I feel deprived by the fact that I currently am prohibited from doing so.

I don't want to wear a sixgun for self defense.  I could carry concealed if I wanted too (although millions of non-violent felons have been deprived of that right).  But what I really want to do is to strap on a six shot single action revolver and go about my business.

Its not about self defense, its about heritage.  Our national identity revolves in large part around the image of a man with a gun.  We, as a society, are giving up our very identity when we outlaw open carry.  We need open carry to preserve our national culture. It is what we are.

I can understand not allowing you to open carry with any weapon.  Seeing people walk around with AK's and FALs might bother some people (not me, but other people).  But it seems to me, that at the very least we Americans should be able to wear a six shooter in any state or city in America without prohibition.

Hence, I am here to advocate a national law allowing citizens to openly wear a single action revolver, anyplace, anytime.  It will preserve the American way of life for generations to come.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:18:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Some things we will have to work up to. Like the way they took in from us.
Step 1. get 75-90% of the States to have a CCW/CHL/whatever.
Step 2. Make a national CCW/CHL/whatever.
Step 3. Repeat steps 1 & 2 for Open carry.

(Each step 2-5 years, that would be fast)

Az-Open carry, pistols
Tx-Open carry, long arms.
There must be more I’m sure.
SSD
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:28:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I think NH is open carry for residents.  I'm not too sure about this, though the few times that I have open carried, on my motorcycle on back road, and getting gas at night via the ATM card, I haven't had anyone give me a second look.  Though it is possible that people didn't want to make eye contact with me or that most people are totally oblivious to what is going on around them.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:13:23 PM EDT
[#3]
 SS, especially since you appreciate 'heritage', we don't need no steenking 'law'! All we require is govt. adherence to the BoR's! It's subservient requesting 'permission' to look to a 'law' for being 'allowed' by one's superiors to practice a Right. Rights don't require 'permission'! We weaken our own argument/position by playing the statist game.
 'Just say NO' to fascism; this is a Republic[LOL]! Even paying extortion for a CC 'license' is despicable to free men. Ghost
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:24:52 PM EDT
[#4]
National carry laws would be a huge pain in the butt for people who don't live in states like New York or California. By the time people like Schumer and Finestein got done adding their two cents, nobody would qualify for one.

I don't like single action six shooters anyway. Why are you trying to discriminate against me?

Carrying for self defense seems prudent. Carrying a Cowboy gun slung on your hip because that was everyday life in [i]some[/i] states 150 years ago seems a tad unusual.

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#5]
If you open it up to double action revolvers, then I will join you.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 3:40:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you open it up to double action revolvers, then I will join you.
View Quote

Come on man, the whole thing is about heritage here.  No real cowboy would be caught dead with a double action revolver (and yeah they had 'em back then).  If you want to keep some other handgun tucked away under your belt fine.  But I feel that allowing any gun with the open carry would create too much political opposition.  Cowboy guns are largely seen as harmless, so that's the play we are making.

My guess is that those of you who don't like single action revovlers have never fired. You are probably unaware that you can buy a colt SAA for $1350 dollars, making it even more expensive than many of your autos.  I personally wouldn't buy a Colt, because I don't think they are very good and are overly expensive.  But if your goal is just to say that you paid more for your gun than someone else, then you still have that option.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top