Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2016 6:29:32 PM EDT
Any of you soldiers, Marines or sailors know?
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:36:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Worked for me.  I was 7 3/8 and wore large.  I think medium was a little small.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:39:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Any of you soldiers, Marines or sailors know?
View Quote

I'm close to that (7 1/8th) and wore a Medium.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#5]
7 1/2, large helmet. Still want a pasgt with viking horns.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:43:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks!!

That was a PASGT, not a MICH or ACH, right?

I have a PASGT sizing chart that has the Large starting at 7 1/2 and going up, with 7 3/8 showing as a Medium.  This is really confuzzling as I've also seen sizing charts for the PASGT showing 7 3/8 as "Large".  Maybe they vary by maker?
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#7]
It'll fit
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:19:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I just found another sizing chart.  Shows that as some of the guys here say, it should fit.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks!!

I have a PASGT sizing chart that has the Large starting at 7 1/2 and going up, with 7 3/8 showing as a Medium.  This is really confuzzling as I've also seen sizing charts for the PASGT showing 7 3/8 as "Large".  Maybe they vary by maker?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!!

Pretty sure I was issued a medium but somebody ran over it in Kuwait.  Supply guy ordered me a large because he thought I had a big head.  It actually fit better, especially with a beanie.  If I was going to hang a pvs14 off it I'd probably want a medium.  My ACH was definitely a large.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:32:52 PM EDT
[#10]
There's more to it than hat size...

Back in the day, the initial issue of the Kevlar had them using calipers to gauge a bunch of different measurements. Some folks would have had the size chart put them in a medium helmet, but things like the depth/height of their skull, ear position, width, etc., etc. would have the guys doing the sizing put them into a large.

Then, we quit caring about that crap, and just handed them out. You'd see guys come out of CIF with all sorts of problems, and then have to go convince someone that the kid belonged in a medium rather than the large, and so forth.

Somewhere, I've got the initial issue notes for those things--They were a lot more complicated than just hat size. The basic issue is that you need to be able to get the troop's head into the helmet deep enough to get full coverage for his skull, and on some people, a medium would leave them with critical bits exposed, so even if he fit into a medium, the guy was supposed to have a large. The sizing chart put me into a large, but I had to have an extra large to get the full benefit of the helmet's coverage. Another issue was how much distance there was between the webbing on the inside and the troop's skull--Not enough, and the force of a hit would be transmitted directly to the wearer's head. Which is why I'd strongly recommend that you upgrade the helmet with any one of the padding kits, especially if your head is really close to the inner part of the helmet with just the basic harness system in. The greater benefit of the ACH when it comes to trauma survival has a lot to do with the padding system, more than anything else.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:39:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There's more to it than hat size...

Back in the day, the initial issue of the Kevlar had them using calipers to gauge a bunch of different measurements. Some folks would have had the size chart put them in a medium helmet, but things like the depth/height of their skull, ear position, width, etc., etc. would have the guys doing the sizing put them into a large.

Then, we quit caring about that crap, and just handed them out. You'd see guys come out of CIF with all sorts of problems, and then have to go convince someone that the kid belonged in a medium rather than the large, and so forth.

Somewhere, I've got the initial issue notes for those things--They were a lot more complicated than just hat size. The basic issue is that you need to be able to get the troop's head into the helmet deep enough to get full coverage for his skull, and on some people, a medium would leave them with critical bits exposed, so even if he fit into a medium, the guy was supposed to have a large. The sizing chart put me into a large, but I had to have an extra large to get the full benefit of the helmet's coverage. Another issue was how much distance there was between the webbing on the inside and the troop's skull--Not enough, and the force of a hit would be transmitted directly to the wearer's head. Which is why I'd strongly recommend that you upgrade the helmet with any one of the padding kits, especially if your head is really close to the inner part of the helmet with just the basic harness system in. The greater benefit of the ACH when it comes to trauma survival has a lot to do with the padding system, more than anything else.
View Quote

This and the previous, thanks very  much.

I do understand that offset is very important.  

Thanks for the tip on padding, too.  Good stuff.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes. That's my size.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:47:16 PM EDT
[#13]
That's a medium head size.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:51:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, I have a 7 3/4 size head and wore a large.  Well, I probably still wear a large.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top