Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2003 8:56:12 PM EDT
OK, I'm not the kind of guy that enjoys taking the life of natures little darlings, but I have to draw the line at those g*d d*mb Mockinbirds! I'm a light sleeper, always have been, and these little f*ckers sit outside my bedroom window and chirp ALL F*CKING NIGHT LONG! I can't take it any more!!!

1.  They chirp loudly!
2.  They do so all night long!
3.  They don't have one f*cking tune that you could get used to -- they change there tune about every fourth chirp!

Here's the deal -- I lose many hours of sleep during this time of year and that makes me less awake on my drive in to work -- not good!

OK, so I've said I don't particularly enjoy killing things but I have, on many occasions, attempted to rid my world of these evil birds! The problem is, I live in an apartment and I can't just go around with my BB gun during the daylight hours and at night it hard to locate and hit a target on sound alone!

Yeah, I know, this sounds like I'm jokinig, but I am NOT!

Any sugestions?

Thanks,

Link Posted: 6/6/2003 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#1]
shoot them from your window during the day
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:24:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a bolt action .22, some CB rounds and a night vision scope.  Viola, no more birds.

Another thing I do at my house is to put rubber snakes all over the roof.  Does a great job of keeping poop of the deck and hot tub.

Mockingbirds are the worst.  At my mom's house they used to attack our cats.  Just get all Atticus on them.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:43:26 PM EDT
[#3]
After you kill yours can you please come and do mine too? I live in M-Bird Central. I know your pain.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:06:55 PM EDT
[#4]
AN-PVS 14 mounted on the BB gun.  You will OWN the night.  [;D]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:11:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
shoot them from your window during the day
View Quote

"Dude!! Thats someone's soul!!!"

From 'Hyde" on "That 70's Show"
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:53:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd shoot them from the window except the tree they hang out in is not in line-of-sight of my window. I know that there are others on this board that have gone through this before and I would appreciate any other methods for killing them or otherwise getting them the hell away from me.

Thanks,

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Get one of those big plastic owls and prop it up in that tree.  Also, get the rubber snakes and put them around.  Then, go to your state wildife management agency and get a propane cannon.  The sound will scare away all birds.  No birds, no more chirping and no poop on your hood.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:24:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy a bunch of tree snakes and let them loose in the trees one day , they will kill the birds and they are quiet. Tree pythons can be purchased at local pet stores.*
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:25:40 PM EDT
[#9]
How about 1 firecracker each night for a week...Might work.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:35:46 PM EDT
[#10]
When we lived in Kalifornistan, we were plagued by a family of those noisy annoying birds.  I couldn't sleep at night and I finally had to use my pellet gun with .177 cal pellets.  I popped four in about a week.  They are very territorial and squawk at each other for hours on end over territory.  I could hear the family in my back yard trading insults with a group down the street.

I finally reached my breaking point and just went out quietly on the patio at night and stood rock still using my ears to pinpoint the buggers.  When one moved and was in an open spot in the trees...I took my shot.  After I got four, they left us alone.

Not sure about the physical layout of your digs...but you should be able to conceal yourself somewhere to get them in the evening.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:48:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When we lived in Kalifornistan, we were plagued by a family of those noisy annoying birds.  I couldn't sleep at night and I finally had to use my pellet gun with .177 cal pellets.  I popped four in about a week.  They are very territorial and squawk at each other for hours on end over territory.  I could hear the family in my back yard trading insults with a group down the street.

I finally reached my breaking point and just went out quietly on the patio at night and stood rock still using my ears to pinpoint the buggers.  When one moved and was in an open spot in the trees...I took my shot.  After I got four, they left us alone.

Not sure about the physical layout of your digs...but you should be able to conceal yourself somewhere to get them in the evening.

Good luck!
View Quote

No need to kil 'em just get them to go elseware.

Ever heard of a Bangsite Cannon?  It'll scare em for sure.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:52:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Its against the law to kill them here in Texas.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Raptorsys
Man do I know what you are talking about. Being a light sleeper I have hade many nights sleep disturbed by those damned birds. Here are a few suggestions.

Put foam insulation in your window. That is where most of the sound is getting in.

Sleep with earplugs on nights when you just can't fall asleep.

Try melatonin. You can get it at a health food store.

The above suggestions also help when other forms of noise are keeping you awake such as a barking dog.

Get rid of the birds. This is only offered as a topic of discussion and I would not advocate killing song birds as that is illegal.

Now about mocking birds. They are very territorial. Once they have established your yard as part of their territory you are stuck with them until the nesting season is over. They will sing at all hours to mark their area. They eat flying insects. If I were going to try and trap a mocking bird I might use a rat trap baited with a live insect. An animated one with buzzing wings might work well. If a rat trap were baited in such a manner and placed in the birds territory, the bird would find it sooner or later and get it's neck broken. This is only a theory, I have never tried it.

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:24:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Make friends with a falconer and invite him and his bird over for some "practice".
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:18:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Make a sound-activated firecracker.....

Realistically, get an air rifle, a cheap scope, and a floodlight. Illuminate the position they usually sit around at night, and pick em' off from the woods, one by one... Every kill should be one notch in the stock of the gun...
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:26:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can well imagine killing these bastards in NY would be a crime - but Texas -- You gota be sh*ting me! Can't you at least give them a letal injection? [peep]

Later,

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck!
View Quote

No need to kil 'em just get them to go elseware.

Ever heard of a Bangsite Cannon?  It'll scare em for sure.
View Quote

Yup, actually I have heard of them.  The house we lived in in Kalifornistan was in a residential area of Camarillo.  The lots were small...and our house was pretty close to our neighbors all around.  The real problem manifested itself on warm evenings, when the windows were open to permit a breeze.  Unlike here in VA, we didn't have nor did we need A/C there...but we did need to open up the house.

As you can see...using the carbide/bangsite cannon there would have been sort of a crummy idea...at least in that neighborhood.  Sure to get a visit from the Ventura Cty. sheriff on that one.  I can just imagine my neighbor's reaction if I let fly at 0200 say...[pound] (Actually...that isn't such a bad idea...I didn't like one of my neighbors anyway![;D]

Anyway...I don't think it would have worked 'cause the birds are so territorial; they'd come back for sure.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:52:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:29:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I can well imagine killing these bastards in NY would be a crime - but Texas -- You gota be sh*ting me! Can't you at least give them a letal injection? [peep]

Later,
View Quote

Its our "State Bird."
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:34:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't mind them during the day, but at night it drives me nuts.  Agree with you on every point.

They are no longer nest on my property. [}:)]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:45:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Friend found out just how territorial Mockingbirds are.

He was fixing the guttering of his house, standing on a ladder.The birds apparently had a nest in a near by tree and started dive bombing his head. At first he thought they might be harvesting his hair for a nest or ???

When they went for his face, he swiped at them. lost his balance and fell off the ladder. Nasty wrist and arm break (needed surgery and pins). Luckily he didn't get hurt worse.

I like birds but Be Careful...get them at dusk when they're settling down.

Gwen
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:41:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm not sure they work on mocking birds but I have used bird traps to remove birds before. It's basically a cage with a balance beam with food in it, in the from side the birds climb in the beam goes down and the only way out is into the cage. Then you reach in and remove the birds you dont want dead the rest you snap their necks. One quick push of the thumb and no more bird.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#23]
What I really want to use is a shotgun but I KNOW my neighbors would not approve! If only I had access to a heavily suppressed 12 gauge...

Later,

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:00:16 PM EDT
[#24]
That's funny. I _need_ noise to be able to sleep. Total silence freaks me out. It's quiet! Too _quiet_! Happy, singing mockingbirds = no snakes and no sabretooth tigers in the vicinity -> [img]http://www.hollylisle.com/gifs/sleep.gif[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top