Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2003 10:39:38 AM EDT

[url=http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/africa/06/05/congo.genocide/index.html]Congolese remember violent executions[/url]
BUNIA, Democratic Republic of the Congo (CNN) -- May was another brutal month for the residents of Bunia.

People were terrorized and slaughtered, first by fighters from the majority Lendu ethnic group and then by members of the Hema minority who drove the Lendu out.

"They beat the refugees, shot at them," said Florent, an eyewitness to some of the violence. "And then they picked out those who were Hema. They picked them all out. They took them with them, and they left."

The fighting, which has left 450 people dead and hundreds injured, followed the withdrawal of neighboring Ugandan troops on May 7. United Nations peacekeepers are in the region but do not have the political mandate or the weaponry to halt the fighting.

United Nations officials say they have never seen such "horrific" conditions as those in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
"Most were shot, some were stabbed, others were beheaded, or chopped to pieces," he says.
[red]"I saw the killing. I saw the way they removed the heart, the way they roasted it in a fire and then ate it,"[/red] she said.
View Quote

Oughta send in Jesse Jackson... with some Mesquite sauce.

Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:48:36 AM EDT
[#1]
You can bet that someone will claim that this is another symptom of Belgian colonialisim, because left unmolested, Africa is a peaceful place of kings and queens.  There are butchers of all races and creeds.

The UN should eye this closely with respect to its "Small Arms" issue.  They put political stability above all else (which is one reason why weak and vulneralbe 3rd world regimes love them).  Thus, the same desired rules that (in theory) would prohibit potential rebels from acquiring weapons, also make people vulnerable to their governments.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:55:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Oughta send in Jesse Jackson... with some Mesquite sauce
View Quote

For him, them or, both ?   [):)]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:56:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thus, the same desired rules that (in theory) would prohibit potential rebels from acquiring weapons, also make people vulnerable to their governments.
View Quote
Which is why the United Nations is so important - to protect the people from their Gov't.

You see, a single nation's Gov't is easily prone to becoming oppressive, but a WORLD Gov't (composed of a representatives from these oppressive Gov'ts) is immune to such things. See? [:)]

Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:56:40 AM EDT
[#4]
you know I've been saying Africa was next in military action
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:04:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
you know I've been saying Africa was next in military action
View Quote

I believe that military action is already starting, with a coalition of European nations.  I think French troops have already started arriving.

For some reason the U.S. isn't interesting in sending troops.  [:D]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:18:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think French troops have already started arriving.
View Quote
[b]Do you think Africans will like French food?[/b] [:D]
[url=http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/africa/05/19/congo.fighting.ap/index.html]'Savage' killing of U.N. workers
[/url]
Two United Nations military observers were found dead after being reported missing for several days in troubled northeastern Congo...

...they were [red]"savagely killed,"[/red] Hamadoun Toure, spokesman for the U.N. mission in Congo, said Monday.
Reports of [red]cannibalism[/red] "cannot be so persistent and false," Ngongi told reporters in Bunia. "There cannot be so much talk of such things if it is false."

[red]Reports of cannibalism are not new[/red] to Ituri.

On January 15, U.N. investigators confirmed that rebels of the Congolese Liberation Movement and the allied Congolese Rally for Democracy-National had carried out [red]cannibalism, rape, torture and killing[/red] in the province late last year.

Also: [url=http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/africa/05/22/congo.un.pygmy.ap/index.html]Pygmies want U.N. cannibal court[/url]
Army, rebel and tribal fighters -- some believing the Pygmies are less than human or that eating their flesh would give them magic power -- have been pursuing them in forests, killing them and eating their flesh,

There have been reports of markets for Pygmy flesh...

...tribal fighters and members of one rebel group killed, cooked and ate at least a dozen Pygmies and an undetermined number of people from other tribes during fighting with rival insurgents.

"In living memory, we have seen cruelty, massacres, genocide, but we have never seen human beings hunted and eaten literally as though they were game animals, as has recently happened,"

And:
[url=http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/africa/05/29/congo.unoff/index.html]Refugee crisis in Congo 'horrific'
[/url]
"We've seen the most horrible things in Bunia. Women who've lost their arms and legs, child amputees, men chopped to bits, women raped,"

"We're not just seeing women who have been raped, we're seeing women who have been torn apart, who have been cut up and who are on the edge of death,"
View Quote

Come on, let's all sing -

[i][b][violet]"We are the world...
We are the children...[/b][/violet][/i]

Come on - hold hands and sway now -

[i][b][violet]We are the ones to make a brighter day...
So let's start giving...[/b][/violet][/i]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:38:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep!!! Send in the UN peacekeepers, and let the slaughter begin!!! Usually, the peacekeepers disarm the victims first though!!
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:56:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I seem to recall a recent incident somewhere in Africa in which a baby girl was raped because the rapist believed that having sex with an infant was a cure for HIV.  Does anyone else recall this?  Yes, we uncivilized, brutal, heartless, Americans have much to learn from mother Africa.

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I seem to recall a recent incident somewhere in Africa in which a baby girl was raped because the rapist believed that having sex with an infant was a cure for HIV.  Does anyone else recall this?  Yes, we uncivilized, brutal, heartless, Americans have much to learn from mother Africa.

-REAPER2502
View Quote
Yes, that's a widespread practice in the utopia of Nelson Mandela's South Africa.

[V]

Link Posted: 6/6/2003 1:15:39 PM EDT
[#10]
"When we  were Kingsss....."

"When we werrre kings....."

[>(]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 1:26:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

-REAPER2502
View Quote

Actually, the superstition is that having sex with a VIRGIN will cure AIDS.  Since people in southern africa are quite clever, they figured out that a 16-year old girl who says she's a vrigin might really be lying about it - so the best way to make SURE you're having sex with a virgin is to have sex with an infant girl (assuming you are the first genius to find her).

[sarcasm]We really should learn to respect other peoples' culture and not be so judgemental.  I'm sure there are valuable things we can learn from cannibalism, slavery, infant rape and crucifixion - all practiced in Africa today.[/sarcasm]

Maybe in a few hundred years or so, Africa might be a civilized place, but right now it is just a huge stinking sinkhole, and an embarassment to humankind.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Ah yes, Mother Africa.
There are many who claim Africa is the birthplace of civilization and that our collective history comes from there.
This leaves me to wonder if Africa WAS civilized at some point, what happened. Was there some european who stole the civilization how-to manual and left subsequent generations of Africans to wander aimlessly through time?
One would think that africans would have learned something about civilized life after thousands of years. Apparently not.
In some places they are still throwing spears at each other despite being exposed to civilization and having copious amounts of valuable natural resources. In much of Africa the spear has been replaced by the AK-47 and the tribal warfare continues. Anyone remember Rwanda?
In South Africa, the once thriving country is now plagued by violent crime and despair. Thousands have fled SA for safer ground mostly outside of Africa.
Yep, Mother Africa...the birthplace of civilization. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In much of Africa the spear has been replaced by the AK-47 and the tribal warfare continues. Anyone remember Rwanda?
View Quote

Actually the weapon of choice in the Rwandan massacre of the early '90s was the machete.

Of course this all happened AFTER Rwanda instituted gun control and population disarmament. Then, in a span of 100 days in April 1994, [b][red]800,000 people[/b][/red] who were [u]disarmed and unable to defend themselves[/u] were massacred to death - MOST by machetes.

BTW... how many dead, hacked-up bodies do you think were found holding a loaded gun? (answer is less than 1)
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
were massacred to death
View Quote

Sorry, this struck me as funny...
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ah yes, Mother Africa.
There are many who claim Africa is the birthplace of civilization and that our collective history comes from there.
This leaves me to wonder if Africa WAS civilized at some point, what happened. Was there some european who stole the civilization how-to manual and left subsequent generations of Africans to wander aimlessly through time?
One would think that africans would have learned something about civilized life after thousands of years. Apparently not.
In some places they are still throwing spears at each other despite being exposed to civilization and having copious amounts of valuable natural resources. In much of Africa the spear has been replaced by the AK-47 and the tribal warfare continues. Anyone remember Rwanda?
In South Africa, the once thriving country is now plagued by violent crime and despair. Thousands have fled SA for safer ground mostly outside of Africa.
Yep, Mother Africa...the birthplace of civilization. [rolleyes]
View Quote

Ummm....When I went to High School way back in the dark ages of the early 80's, we were taught the "Cradle of Civilization" was in the "Fertile Crescent" of modern day Iraq, not Africa.  Recent discoveries regarding mitochondrial DNA, DNA that is passed ONLY from mother to child, has implicated we are all descendants from "Mitochondrial Eve", an ancient female homosapian whose remains were found in Africa.

In a nut shell, and according to the "facts" of scientists and academia, you could say we were born in Africa and got civilized in Iraq...
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
were massacred to death
View Quote

Sorry, this struck me as funny...
View Quote
[LOLabove]

Oops.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top