Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2003 10:26:13 AM EDT
When did the flag become a GOD istead of the symbol of a nation that was based on individual rights and minimal interference?

[url=www.aclu.org/FreeSpeech/FreeSpeech.cfm?ID=12805&c=50]Chiping away at your rights.[/url]

Another American hero, Senator John Glenn, warned that those "who died following that banner, did not give up their lives for a red, white and blue piece of cloth. It would be a hollow victory indeed if we preserved the symbol of our freedoms by chipping away at those fundamental freedoms themselves."

Flame Away
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Senator Glenn deserves respect for his military accomplishments.  Therefore, I will not point out that he is an idiot on this and most issues.

His so-called "Campaign Finance Reform Bill" did more damage to the first amendment than this bill ever will.

The first amendment is about "speech" not actions.  You can freely "say" anything about this country that you please.

You have no "right" to desecrate the emblem of our country that so many good men have died for.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
When did the flag become a GOD istead of the symbol of a nation that was based on individual rights and minimal interference?

[url=www.aclu.org/FreeSpeech/FreeSpeech.cfm?ID=12805&c=50]Chiping away at your rights.[/url]

Another American hero, Senator John Glenn, warned that those "who died following that banner, did not give up their lives for a red, white and blue piece of cloth. It would be a hollow victory indeed if we preserved the symbol of our freedoms by chipping away at those fundamental freedoms themselves."

Flame Away
View Quote

When the ACLU stands up for the second ammendment I MIGHT listen. From where I stand they are simply a bunch of tree hugging, birkenstock wearing faggots.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:40:46 AM EDT
[#3]
The ACLU can kiss my ass.  They've never stood up for anything decent that deserved the effort.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:49:39 AM EDT
[#4]
How does burning a piece of cloth interfere with the rights of another citizen?  I think it is wrong and stupid, much like cross burning (on your property or with permit )but it does not deny life, liberty, etc. etc.

It bothers me for someone to burn the flag, but a Constitutional amend. to ban burning of it is pure emotional bullshit.

Before you flame, I understand what the flag stands for and how many have died for our Country and way of life (not a symbol).
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How does burning a piece of cloth interfere with the rights of another citizen?  I think it is wrong and stupid, much like cross burning (on your property or with permit )but it does not deny life, liberty, etc. etc.

It bothers me for someone to burn the flag, but a Constitutional amend. to ban burning of it is pure emotional bullshit.

Before you flame, I understand what the flag stands for and how many have died for our Country and way of life (not a symbol).
View Quote

I agree!  Allowing citizens to burn the flag without legal implication is a far cry from actually supporting and sanctioning their actions.  Sadly, we live in a culture that equates lack of legal censure with approval.

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:17:54 PM EDT
[#6]
We need sensible legislation on freedom of speech.  Just like we sensible legislation on gun ownership.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:00:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Senator Glenn deserves respect for his military accomplishments.  Therefore, I will not point out that he is an idiot on this and most issues.

His so-called "Campaign Finance Reform Bill" did more damage to the first amendment than this bill ever will.

The first amendment is about "speech" not actions.  You can freely "say" anything about this country that you please.

You have no "right" to desecrate the emblem of our country that so many good men have died for.
View Quote

I and the SCOTUS would have to disagree with you. The SCOTUS that flag burning is protected by the First Amendment.

This is completely in violation of the First Amendment. I don't give a damn about the ACLU, and I hate the people who would burn the flag. BUT, that's their right to do so. What right does the government have to stop them from doing this? Absolutely none.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:09:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I and the SCOTUS would have to disagree with you. The SCOTUS that flag burning is protected by the First Amendment.

This is completely in violation of the First Amendment. I don't give a damn about the ACLU, and I hate the people who would burn the flag. BUT, that's their right to do so. What right does the government have to stop them from doing this? Absolutely none.
View Quote

You are sure right, Sniper_Wolfe.  You and the SCOTUS are in agreement and I disagree.

I hope you're proud of the company you keep on that one.

Personally, I think the Nine Vestigial Virgins of the Patomac are full of bull on this and most other issues.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#9]
As much as I detest anyone who whoud defile the American flag, altering the first amendment will open the door to a place I don't think any of us want to go. What will you say when they try to alter the Seaond Amendment? The Fourth?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Let me see if I get this straight.  Disposal of the flag by inceneration is encouraged by US Code.
"The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning."

But burning the flag for another reason is not a political statement?  I guess that typing on a keyboard isn't speech either, is it?  Nor flipping someone the bird?  How convenient that you guys hang on the word "speech" like the anti-gunners hang on the word "militia."

If it's not a political statement, then why does it bother you so?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top