Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2003 6:32:47 AM EDT
[url]http://www.floridatoday.com/topstories/060203dui.htm[/url]

TAMPA, Fla. — A Hillsborough County sheriff’s deputy fatally shot a DUI suspect after the man put up a fight during a traffic stop early Monday on Interstate 4, authorities said.

After Deputy Charlotte Raschke pulled over the eastbound blue pickup truck for weaving, the man emerged and fought with Raschke and Deputy Julius Grice, who had arrived as backup, sheriff’s spokesman Rod Reder said. Raschke’s police dog also struggled with the man.

The man — whom the deputies described as over 6 feet and about 270 pounds — got back in the truck and tried to drive away, with the driver’s door open and Grice still trying to pull him from the truck, Reder said.

“Deputy Grice was in fear for his life at this point,” Reder said. “He fired three times, hitting the suspect at least once.”

Grice fell from the truck, which veered across the eastbound lanes, the median and westbound lanes. The truck hit a curb, then crossed back over both sets of lanes and struck a fence. The suspect, who fell from the truck before it crashed, was dead at the scene.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:39:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Raschke’s police dog, Clifford, sustained minor injuries when he was hit by the pickup truck, Reder said.
View Quote
Just as well, this alone would have rated a death sentence today it seems.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:40:52 AM EDT
[#2]
glad the dog is ok [:)]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:47:11 AM EDT
[#3]
not sure i'm real clear on the deputy's fear factor...
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:51:10 AM EDT
[#4]
[b]deputy fatally shot a suspect after the man put up a fight.[/b]  

nuf said.

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:54:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Here in PA, if an officer is assaulted with a vehicle or simply sprayed with mace, he may use lethal force...

Before you say: "WTF???"
Think for a minute what 'could' have happened as a result of the actions taken by the suspect...

This was likely a situation that had escalated to a point where the officers needed to gain absolute control.
If the situation is allowed to continue and get more violent then what ?

The police can't just say to themselves "Gee, he's just too big", and run away.

Grabbing the officers gun, spraying him with mace, attacking him with a dog or trying to drive off with him hanging out of the truck means the same thing to me.

This is why cops carry guns.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:00:20 AM EDT
[#6]
This is why cops carry guns.
View Quote

"But if thou do that which is evil, be afrid;  for he beareth not the sword in vain..."

Romans 13:4
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:00:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, I'm glad to hear the dog made it!!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:03:50 AM EDT
[#8]
i don't know art. i can appreciate what you are saying, but it sounds to be a completely different justification than "in fear of his life".

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:14:20 AM EDT
[#9]
May he sober up in hell with all the rest of the drunk drivers who have cashed in their MT bottle caps.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:36:00 AM EDT
[#10]
poor pup!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:49:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:56:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sounds legit to me.
View Quote

Sure does.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:56:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The man — whom the deputies described as over 6 feet and about 270 pounds — got back in the truck and tried to drive away, with the driver’s door open and Grice still trying to pull him from the truck, Reder said.

“Deputy Grice was in fear for his life at this point,” Reder said. “He fired three times, hitting the suspect at least once.”

View Quote

[BS]
This guy fighting with the cops is stupid.  However, one thing raises the BS flag here, the deputy was in fear of his life?  The dolt was trying to drive away in his truck.

Not saying these cops are guilty of murder, but they are suspicious.  Their story doesn't jive.  Need more info.  Will the public see unedited tapes from the car?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:12:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Good riddance, probably saved the lives of innocent drivers.  I highly doubt that was the first time he drove drunk, and luckily it was his last.

Reminds me of a guy I used to know.  He got in a fight with the police when they responded to him wrapping his car around a tree.  This guy is about the same size as the guy in the article, over 6" 275 lbs ex-football player, and he decided to grab the cop by the throat and throw him against the car.  Well the cops didn't like that much, and pepper sprayed him.  He's lucky they didn't shoot him, but to this day, the guy hates cops because they had the nerve to pepper spray him after he totaled his car in a drunken stupor and assaulted the responding cops!  

Last I heard, he was on his 4th DUI, and was still driving under the influence.  There aren't many people that I wish harm on, but part of me hopes this guy gets weeded out of the gene pool really quickly before he hurts someone...
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:14:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Grice fell from the truck, which veered across the eastbound lanes, the median and westbound lanes. The truck hit a curb, then crossed back over both sets of lanes and struck a fence. The suspect, who fell from the truck before it crashed, was dead at the scene.
View Quote

[shock]

It's a good thing that it didn't hit another car. Who knows who all would have been sued?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:26:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Just goes to show that actions really do have consequences.  Too bad Bubba was too drunk and stupid to remember that old adage.

Sounds like a righteous shoot to me [:D]

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:43:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
[b]deputy fatally shot a suspect after the man put up a fight.[/b]  

nuf said.

View Quote

I agree. Fought off 2 cops and a dog, tried to escape the scene, injured the police dog (same as injuring a human cop),
Drunken Dumb Ass got what he deserved - DEAD.

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:48:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

[BS]
This guy fighting with the cops is stupid.  However, [red]one thing raises the BS flag here, the deputy was in fear of his life?  The dolt was trying to drive away in his truck.[/red]

Not saying these cops are guilty of murder, but they are suspicious.  Their story doesn't jive.  Need more info.  Will the public see unedited tapes from the car?
View Quote

I've treated two cops who were dragged by cars during traffic stops. One didn't survive.

Sounds like a good shoot to me.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:09:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like a good shooting to me also.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#20]
I have seen these officer dragging cases far more often on the news since I came to AZ than I ever remember hearing about in California.

But it seems to have something to do with why we have a so much smaller number of high speed freeway chases here than in Southern California.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:28:02 AM EDT
[#21]
It sounds like the Deputy was being dragged. If he was, that alone is often enough to justify deadly force.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:31:26 AM EDT
[#22]
On a similar note, anyone know what heppened in VA Beach last night? A cop fatally shot a suspect but there were no details this a.m. TIA
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:49:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm not defending the sorry ass drunk, maybe he did try to drag the officer.  We all know the journalistic integrity of reporters...  [rolleyes]

All I'm saying here is the story here, as written, is a bit fishy...  Article states Deputy doing the holding, perp trying to flee, but deputy fearing for his life.  Deserves further scrutiny.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:14:41 PM EDT
[#24]
The man — whom the deputies described as over 6 feet and about 270 pounds — got back in the truck and tried to drive away, with the driver’s door open and [red]Grice still trying to pull him from the truck, Reder said.[/red]
View Quote

If he put himself in that situation, he had no justification in shooting.  He should have just let go and shot his tires out if he wanted to shoot something.  It would be different, though, if he was being held by the other guy.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:00:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Too little info and too many unanswered questions for me to feel comfortable making a judgment.

When a story like this comes up, however, a good exercise is to replace "deputy" with "citizen [performing a citizen's arrest]" and see if your conclusions change. Lord knows the story certainly would have written much differently, and likewise it's also safe to assume a jury would react differently.

cynic
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top