Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2003 6:44:06 PM EDT
What do you think is the BEST choice in your opinion for home or property defense?

CRC
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd have to go with a dog AND a gun.  I have a little yapper who is an alarm system on four legs.  The dog's job is to be a deterrent to bad guys who dislike noise.  If the barking doesn't scare them away, it will at least wake me up and then we go from there.

[shotgun]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I voted gun, but I'd have a dog to wake me up and a gun to kill the stinker with. But if I had to choose just one it'd be the gun, so I voted gun.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Dog. The best gun in the world is useless if you're still asleep when the BG busts into your bedroom, and dogs are the best alarm/deterrent available.
Speaking of deterrent... I just saw my neighbor's puppies. Bullmastiffs to be precise. 6 months old, 90 and 70 lbs. They should top out around 180 and 160. Would you want to screw around with 340lbs of dog if you could possibly avoid it?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#4]
No doubt, dog/gun/alarm.

Dog alerts you, alarm alerts the cops, and the gun is there for the waiting period.

A ball bat isn't good for much unless you have daughters who introduce you to boyfriends that need to be scared, and the gun is a bit too much.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:05:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a West Highland Terrier.  I love terriers.  They aren't much bigger than a poodle but they think that they are german shephards.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:11:19 PM EDT
[#6]
No vote from me, because they are a combination of things that makes the best defense---- I have a German Shephard, a alarm system, a firearm,and a prepard mind, all together they make the best defence system. JMO
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#7]
My two Rotts!  People know the Dogs are there long before I shoot at them n such!

Most folk just stay clear n what not!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:21:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I vote alarm.  Conceal several lighthouse foghorns in your home, wired to a button on your nightstand (in your soundproofed bedroom).  When your *silent* alarm detects an intruder, hit the button and blow out the intruder(s) eardrums.  While they roll around on the floor deaf and disoriented, deal with them as you see fit.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:35:59 PM EDT
[#9]
What, no phone option?  You're more likely to shoot yourself than the intruder with a gun.
Ok, gun was my choice, more specifically a 18" barreled pump shotgun loaded with #4 buckshot.

Edited to note the irony that this is my 911 post.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:42:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Board with a nail in it.  Pre-ban, of course.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No doubt, dog/gun/alarm.
View Quote

In that order.

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Well A slienced chainsaw would be good
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Dogs/guns...

PS---I didn't vote. The dog/gun combo is the only way to go.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:20:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Well I put gun cause that is what decides it in the end but without a dog how do you know to use it if they come while you are asleep?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:41:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Another vote for dog/gun/alarm.

Rottie/Shottie/    damn! can't think of an alarm word that sounds like "ottie"....

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a working dog, and he has proven to me he will defend me when the SHTF. If the perps are nuts enough or smart enough to avoid the wrath of a real working dog then they can stare down the barrel of my Benelli.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I've always had a dog and felt safe.
Sometimes I don't have a gun but have my dog and still feel safe.
My dog is my alarm.
If you can get past my dog without him knowing then my gun is most likely to be useless to me!
Understand?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:03:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I voted for "Hand to hand/karate/ect" because nobody else voted for that and because I think ninjas are cool.
View Quote

Yeah and they flip out all the time and cut peoples heads off. Man, they are so sweet I crapped my pants.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Properly placed claymores!!!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:09:46 PM EDT
[#21]
3 dogs, a very good monitored alarm system, and guns available for close-in, perimiter range, and out to maybe 200 yards with nv.  I'm about 15 miles from the nearest pd, and not too many deputies patrol at night.

Overall, a dog should be your first choice, if you have only one.  Herding breeds tend to be the most protective in general.  It still varies quite a bit by the individual pooch.

-hanko
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:35:14 PM EDT
[#22]
What, no "panic room" for you to hide in while the bad guys ransack the house? Don't tell me you're one of those people who actually want to be responsible for their OWN defense.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#23]
For prevention, dog hands down. Guns actually can invite a robbery.

For dealing with a occurance, a gun. Intruders will often shoot or pepper spray a dog.

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:00:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top