Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2003 11:35:46 AM EDT
The wife's cousin, her husband and 2 daughters came out today while I was setting up to test some loads I was working on.  

The husband went off that people shouldn't have guns and all of the other stuff that anti's usually say.  I asked him if he had ever even shot a gun and he said no.  He even prided himself as to never even held a gun before.  I went down and got my Marlin 39 lever action .22 with a red dot scope in it and set it up for them.  

After a little do and don't education, I had them set up at the bench and sight in on a target about 25 yards away.

They all had fun shooting at the target but I could tell that they were getting a little bored with shooting at paper.  

I set up some clay's, Ritz Crackers, shotgun hulls and some eggs.  They all had a great time shooting at "reactive" targets.  

I got the husband to only shoot 5 rounds or so before he had enough with "The gun nuts".  The wife and kids went through almost a brick of .22 when they were done.

I just got a call from the wife asking if they could come out next weekend and do some more shooting.  [:)]

Looks like I may have some converts on my hands. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#1]
To bad the husband is such a wuss.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:40:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Reactive targets are the way to go with new shooters.  They will shoot 10 rounds and if they hit it once they will have a great day.  Where as 10 shots at a paper with only one hit will be a very long boring day.

I've had the joy of taking some very hot 18 year old girls who were afraid to touch a gun from not only finally shooting but shooting two pistols at the same time, ie Lara Croft, and to shooting an M1 Garand all this in just hours.  Reactive targets were the only thing we were shooting at.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:42:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
After a little do and don't education, I had them set up at the bench and sight in on a target about 25 yards away.

They all had fun shooting at the target but I could tell that they were getting a little bored with shooting at paper.  

I set up some clay's, Ritz Crackers, shotgun hulls and some eggs.  They all had a great time shooting at "reactive" targets.  

I got the husband to only shoot 5 rounds or so before he had enough with "The gun nuts".  The wife and kids went through almost a brick of .22 when they were done.

I just got a call from the wife asking if they could come out next weekend and do some more shooting.

Looks like I may have some converts on my hands.
View Quote

You done good.
I think the dad had his pride hurt a tad, just holding a gun doesn't make you an instant criminal. I think this is a good application for an CO2 or air pellet gun in the backyard.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:51:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Good job.

These kids won't grow up fearing guns.

Link Posted: 6/1/2003 12:23:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Congrats on the possible new converts.  I think everyone gets bored with paper.  Great choice with the reactive targets.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 1:24:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Its a shame the woman and daughters can't depend on their sissy-boy head of household to defend them. What was Freaud said about fear of weapons being a sign of sexual inadequacy?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 1:35:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Good job Klutz! You did your part...now we'll let their education go to work. [beer]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 1:50:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice JOB ! [8D]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 1:56:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Great idea about the 'reactive' targets. I will remember that one.

So what is that... 4 more on our side??

What is the deal with the Dad though? sounds like Mr Noballs. [?]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 4:25:28 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife of 8 years had never shot a gun, when we married.[spank]

She is from Kaliforniastan.[pissed]

After 8 years she holds a CCW and goes nowhere unarmed.[beer]

It just scares the s### out of her siblings when they visit her, in Arizona.[bow]

When they were visiting.

Sister/husband; Oh my, that man is wearing a gun.[shock]

My wife; So, I am too.[headbang]

You did good, keep it up.[bounce]

Link Posted: 6/1/2003 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had the joy of taking some very hot 18 year old girls who were afraid to touch a gun from not only finally shooting but shooting two pistols at the same time, ie Lara Croft, and to shooting an M1 Garand all this in just hours. Reactive targets were the only thing we were shooting at.
View Quote

PICS??????
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:31:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Ya done good [:D]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I took my formerly anti wife and converted her.  I took a little longer to do it though.  When we first got married, I put her before my guns and got rid of them all.  Slowly I got her to tolerate and then enjoy guns.  She now sleeps with one under the pillow and has a few of her own.  Eventually, she will get to enjoying the bigger ones, but right now all she can deal with the recoil of are a 380 bersa and a 10-22.  As for bigger rifles, it is what I call ear fear.  If it is loud, it must hurt to shoot it.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:27:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Start wives, GF's, and other newbies on 3/4 ounce shotgun loads; coupled with a reaonably heavy shotgun, the recoil is about like a BB gun and they can concentrate on hitting moving targets.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
PICS??????
View Quote

I don't want to hijack the thread so I created a new one for the pics.  

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=189269[/url]

But here's a sample.

[img]http://patriotarms.com/pic1/1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Way to go Ron!

Once they get settled in with the basics bring 'em out to the pit for some family oriented fun.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't you just love the s*** eating grin of a person when they frist start shooting?

I remember taking a budy and his wife out shooting.  working with a ruger bull barrel 22 pistol.  She got in the mode of pulling the trigger as fast as she could.  We had to slow her down.

I thing we all need to do our part and bring/keep as many people shooting for both fun and sport.

Badredfish [devil]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:50:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Great job.  It is funny how, almost invariably, someone who shoots a gun is captivated by it.  Our sport is evil and addictive... [:D]  The anti-gunners have nothing to match it.  The best fun activity that they can come up with is a Million Mom March followed by a shopping trip at the Virginia malls.

Personally, I believe that every gun owner should, over a lifetime, introduce at least [b]fifty[/b] people to shooting.

Reactive targets are cool. If not available, tin cans will also suffice - they bounce around very satisfactorily.

Any recommendations for reactive targets?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:51:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fruit products. Pineapples, melons, watermelons, cantalopes, rotten pumpkins are my fav,. (anyone interested in the unofficial 2nd annual Niantic Sportsmans Club Fruit Shoot, IM please). And ice blocks too. Fun when hit with Nosler Balistic Tips from a 7mm Rem Mag at 50 yards.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Personally, I believe that every gun owner should, over a lifetime, introduce at least [b]fifty[/b] people to shooting.

Reactive targets are cool. If not available, tin cans will also suffice - they bounce around very satisfactorily.

View Quote

Fifty? That's it? Me and a relative have been shooting for about a year and have already introduced over a dozen people to the sport.

Anyway, As for reactive targets- try going to a chemical supply place and getting a small tank of HYDROGEN, get a pack of baloons. Fill em up, and dont put em too close together. (I'm not sure if FMJ/Ball will do it, as i've only tried it with tracers)
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:26:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Fruit products. Pineapples, melons, watermelons, cantalopes, rotten pumpkins are my fav,. (anyone interested in the unofficial 2nd annual Niantic Sportsmans Club Fruit Shoot, IM please). And ice blocks too. Fun when hit with Nosler Balistic Tips from a 7mm Rem Mag at 50 yards.
View Quote

Eggs are a great choice too--ask your local grocer for his out-of-date ones, usually they just give them to you.  Very small and hard to hit, lots of satisfaction when you do.

Also try apples & oranges (and I'm not comparing them!!)--they are solid all the way through, tend to spray bits pretty far when hit.

Charcoal briquets make good small targets; they almost vaporize when hit.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:32:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 1:01:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Best 'reactive' targets I've ever used is a cheap bag of green apples or oranges from the market - juicy, splat real nice, biodegradeable
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 2:25:12 AM EDT
[#27]
On the way back from my first ever range trip, 45ACP_Marine goes, "Too bad we didn't have any [i]soft[/i] targets..." Being the ignorant newbie, and thinking that it meant ballistic gell, I agree. Then I find out what it really means...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top