Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2003 10:49:19 AM EDT
This morning, my local Mil-Surp gear dealer showed me a shipment of MOLLE frames where every single one had been cracked. Apparently, the fame can't handle the load weights? Anyway, he told me that he'd heard the DoD was axing the MOLLE system and had already started phasing it out.

Anyone heard this? What are they replacing it with?
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#1]
They'll probably replace it with left over WW2 surplus.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 11:46:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
This morning, my local Mil-Surp gear dealer showed me a shipment of MOLLE frames where every single one had been cracked. Apparently, the fame can't handle the load weights? Anyway, he told me that he'd heard the DoD was axing the MOLLE system and had already started phasing it out.

Anyone heard this? What are they replacing it with?
View Quote

MOLLE II. MOLLE I has been being unloaded onto the surplus market for some time.
They aren't getting rid of the system in general cause EVERYTHING including and especally the expensive Interceptor body armor are designed to accept MOLLE pouches. They may yank Specialty Defence's contract over the bad packframes though.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 12:57:03 PM EDT
[#3]
We have access to the surplus channels and have been getting lots of MOLLE I and some MOLLE II gear for the last couple of years. The MOLLE I has some fairly good components, and some weak ones. MOLLE II is better, but still has some faults.

The LBV is fair to middling. The modular pouch idea is great, and customizable vest idea has lots of merit, but the vests aren't as comfortable as they could be, and become kind of superfluous in many environments when you are wearing the armor.

The ruck frame is weak, a little unwieldy, and the ruck itself seems like it can't hold as much as my trusty, busted LC-2 Large ruck (complete with an OD wool sock tied to middle of the frame to keep it from wearing a hole in my back). I haven't humped the MOLLE ruck any considerable distance yet, so I can't say if it is any good.

The MOLLE Patrol pack, ammo pouches (reinforced MOLLE II, cause the MOLLE I pouches wore out easily) work very well. The double mag pouches also conveniently take a Motorola MTS series radio, as well. Camelbaks and bandoleers are great, so far. This pistol pouches kind of bite, though, and one would be better off with commercial equivalents.

The grenade pouches are great for holding a couple pair of handcuffs and a can or two of Copenhagen.

The 40mm pouches work pretty well, though they have some issues with ferret rounds. The single 40mm pouch holds a can of Capstun in it sleeve like it was made for it.

The "waist pack" is essentially the same as the butt pack, though it attaches too low for my tastes.

MOLLE seems to work fairly well. I see the vest getting scrapped and the rucks redesigned again, maybe with an alloy frame. The attachment system works pretty well and attaches very securely. Many other manufacturers are making MOLLE compatible or similar systems and at least some elements of MOLLE are here to stay.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top