Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/30/2003 2:06:41 PM EDT
I know, it sounds fucked up. But IMHO I dont see this as a national news worthy story. It seems that the goddamn media is spending 35% of its news coverage on this story. And its has only begun, we aren't even into the trail stage of this mess.

I feel bad for the girl and the baby. But for God sakes can we get some news other than this. People die everyday in horrific ways, why do we dwell on this story? Because it has happened to a yuppie family and all the sheep out there thinks its exciting because "This could happen to someone I know"

Sorry for that rant people. But I used to love watching the news. I would watch all the networks all the time. But this bullshit has got to stop!

Rant mode on pause!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:35:37 PM EDT
[#1]
what about SARS?  killer virus, run and hide, fear for your life!  don't go to toronto!  ahhhhhh!

shark attacks?  

AWB?  i think they're saving this one for next summer though.

if it bleeds it leads right?

everything is so dramatic these days.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:37:18 PM EDT
[#2]
it makes for good ratings which is their "raison d etre" !  i myself am getting sick of it.  reminds me of the OJ crap that went on for weeks.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:42:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I was sick of it after the first day.
Whoopdy-do, pregnant beeyatch disappears...
Oh, now she's all dead...Whoo hoo...
Like I give a damn, I mean there has to be more important things happening in the world than an example of natural selection and survival of the fittest...
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:44:30 PM EDT
[#4]
You bet. Nothing moves my finger to the Next Channel button faster than anything to do with that case.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:45:16 PM EDT
[#5]
You're a news junkie.  

You need detox.

Do it now.

You'll thank me later.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:49:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with you on this one, M4. The press has grabbed hold of this story because it has certain salacious elements - good-looking white people, pregnant wife, Christmas, two-timing husband. I agree that this is a tragic story, and I feel particularly sorry for the woman's family, as they must endure a constant barrage of stupid questions from stupid reporters.

But this story has no real impact on 99.94% of America:
1 - The people involoved were not public figures.
2 - The crime committed is not generally unique, although the manner in which is may have been committed does have some particularly gory aspects.
3 - The overexposure of the story only serves to jeopardize the sucessful prosecution of any suspect.
4 - There are women killed every day by abusive husbands. I believe that many of these victims could be spared, and their abusers thwarted by proper defensive handgun training. The problem is that their dirt-bag old men would most likely use the gun to rob a 7-11 and then smack the woman around.
5 - The facts of the case are completely mired in speculation and wishful thinking on the part of the press.
6 - Whether or not the husband did it, or whether or not the killer will ever be prosecuted has absolutely no bearing on the likelihood of a similar crime ever happening again, anywhere.

Again, I think the key to this story is the fact that the key players in the terrible events are good-loooking, upper-middle-class white people. The story is right out of a "Law&Order" or "CSI" episode, which most consumers of network news are all to familiar with.

I surely pray that the perpetrator of this most heinous crime will receive a most uncomfortable brand of justice. However, I fail to see how saturating the airwaves with the story will facilitate that justice.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:53:01 PM EDT
[#8]

I thought I was the only one. I send the family my condolences and all that, but I really wish they would get this bullshit off of my TV.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:55:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Ha, this will never stop and the only thing you can do about it is shoot your tv, radio and the paper boy.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:56:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I mean there has to be more important things happening in the world than an example of natural selection and survival of the fittest...
View Quote

Hmm.  I guess being brutally murdered, dismembered, and dumped in the ocean is an example of survival of the fittest...
View Quote

Same sort of thing happens all the time in nature, since the beginning of life.
Animals kill other animals.
Just humans do it in a bit more complicated way.
She allowed herself to be killed, so she lost in the natural selection game.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 3:32:11 PM EDT
[#11]
The only dismemberment I ever see on Foodnetwork is when my gf Rachel Ray is cutting up chickens to make a 30 minute meal.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 3:33:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The only dismemberment I ever see on Foodnetwork is when my gf Rachel Ray is cutting up chickens to make a 30 minute meal.
View Quote

Hey did you see her in the Hawaii episode?  She was showing some upper body action at the beach.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:16:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I used to listen to FNC during the day. But they couldn't switch their cameras to Modesto (sp) fast enough after the war in Iraq. So I switched my T.V. off.

Hell they've shown more of that murder then they did of the war. Crap we had a double homicide here last year. Where the hell was all the networks?

I now listen to the digital music channels on the sat. and surf AR15 and FreeRepublic when I'm feeling good. I don't read the newspaper anymore. It's nothing but made up crap or some story written by some idiot too lazy to fact check it.

Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I know, it sounds fucked up. But IMHO I dont see this as a national news worthy story. It seems that the goddamn media is spending 35% of its news coverage on this story. And its has only begun, we aren't even into the trail stage of this mess. I feel bad for the girl and the baby. But for God sakes can we get some news other than this. People die everyday in horrific ways, why do we dwell on this story? Because it has happened to a yuppie family and all the sheep out there thinks its exciting because "This could happen to someone I know" Sorry for that rant people. But I used to love watching the news. I would watch all the networks all the time. But this bullshit has got to stop! Rant mode on pause!
View Quote

I agree!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was sick of it after the first day.
Like I give a damn, I mean there has to be more important things happening in the world than an example of natural selection and survival of the fittest...
View Quote

First let me preface my remarks by saying that I un-plugged my TV almost a year ago.  I get my News from the AP wire on the internet or by visiting the News websites.

So...

1) IMHO - if you don't like the news then don't support the station you are watching by turing your channel to it.

2)
Like I give a damn
View Quote

You are an asshole.  You must be single and have no children to make a remark like that.  Do you laugh at crippled children also, and do you push little old ladies off the curb and into traffic while you are waiting for the bus to come and take you away to get a life?  

Sheesh...
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:31:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I was sick of it after I read about it in the paper in Phoenix. This story should not be a national one. IMO.
AB
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:53:39 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

IMBROGLIO!
YOU FINALLY SAID SOMETHING SMART!!![wow]
KEEP IT UP MAN!!![headbang]

You are an asshole. You must be single and have no children to make a remark like that. Do you laugh at crippled children also, and do you push little old ladies off the curb and into traffic while you are waiting for the bus to come and take you away to get a life?

Sheesh...
View Quote

Exactly.[+]:D]

Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#18]
As I suspected..
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:03:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
As I suspected..
View Quote

A smart one, aren't we...[;D]

EDITED:Misspelled something...
EDITED: DAMN IT...MISSPELLED SOMETHING AGAIN...
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:18:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey, be sure and show this post to your girlfriend or wife, I'm sure that she'd really like to see your compassion in action.

and No, I'm not excessivly smart.  

I do have a wife and a family, and I cannot fathom thinking that if they were murdered while on a trip to the grocery store, that they just happened to lose the battle for the survival of the fittest.  

Your comments about the excess of the media are right-on - why do you think I turned off the TV in the first place - I don't want my kids subjected to the crap that is on it.

But your comments concerning a murdered human being, especially a female that was pregnant, disgust me and remind me that at times, I AM better than some elements of humanity.

Criminals - hey that's an entirely different matter, but an innocent woman - you are just wrong.

Edited and ticketed for typing too fast.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Compassion is weakness.

And murderers are natures way of dealing with human overpopulation.
Just like disease.

Logic wins over feeling, my friend, always.
You may not see it, but it does.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:36:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Compassion is weakness.

Just like disease.

View Quote

Wrong,

The only people who can't afford to show compassion are the weak.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Wrong,

The only people who can't afford to show compassion are the weak.
View Quote

Sure...That's what they all say...

Hmm...It seems I've unintentionally hijacked this thread...
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Compassion is weakness.

Just like disease.

View Quote

I can see that besides ownership of a few AR15's, we have nothing in common.  My beliefs don't coincide with your lack of compassion. Rarely do I not try to see another persons side in a discussion.  Your position defy's examination.  

You are damned if you continue to belive that the worthlessness of human life will never affect you. Sometimes we shoot off our big mouths so much that life slaps us down just to keep us in line. I hope that you escape any pain due to the testing of your triumphant voice.  

I'm not a preacher, but hey, you've got a fvcked up point of view on this matter.  Sooner or later YOU might have to kneel or you will be knelt.  (that master/slave shit doesn't go over too big with me either)
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:26:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Thank you!  Thank You!

I agree 100%.   I am  so sick of hearing that crap, I can't even turn on the news.  All news shows  and cable news networks are beating this story to death-no pun intended.

I am not making light of this murder, I know it was a tragedy to Laci's family and friends but
I  CAN'T   STAND  IT  ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:33:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I know, it sounds fucked up. But IMHO I dont see this as a national news worthy story. It seems that the goddamn media is spending 35% of its news coverage on this story. And its has only begun, we aren't even into the trail stage of this mess.

I feel bad for the girl and the baby. But for God sakes can we get some news other than this. People die everyday in horrific ways, why do we dwell on this story? Because it has happened to a yuppie family and all the sheep out there thinks its exciting because "This could happen to someone I know"

Sorry for that rant people. But I used to love watching the news. I would watch all the networks all the time. But this bullshit has got to stop!

Rant mode on pause!
View Quote

WTF do you know! Your watching it on the National Cable News! Change the channel! Here its everywhere! national news, local news, front page of all the newspapers, highlight blurbs during commercial breaks (even on Cartoon Network!) even the freakin DJ's/Talkshow hosts on the radio between songs! [puke]

there,[soapbox]rant off!
[red]M4AaU[/red] not meant as a flame or slam, just being a smartass about the over saturation. It is not a national news worthy story, and there have been, literally, hundreds of similair cases that haven't been reported.

Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm with ya....I almost miss seeing the Mooses mug on the tube...[sleep]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:04:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm tired of it too.  Glad I'm not the only one who has noticed the world getting smaller and concerned that a routine murder in California is plastered all over the national news and papers.  Why?  Don't ask me, it's this fickle country we live in.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:15:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Imbroglio, Rachel is a HOT little muffin isn't she. [}:D]  

And I would definately like to be stuck on a desert island with Paige, Geneveive, Hilda, Amy and Laurie from Trading Spaces.

[sex]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:09:12 PM EDT
[#30]
I agree, this isn't natioanl news worthy
OJ was overdone, but at least he was famous
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:17:32 PM EDT
[#31]

I can see that besides ownership of a few AR15's, we have nothing in common.  My beliefs don't coincide with your lack of compassion. Rarely do I not try to see another persons side in a discussion.  Your position defy's examination.  

You are damned if you continue to belive that the worthlessness of human life will never affect you. Sometimes we shoot off our big mouths so much that life slaps us down just to keep us in line. I hope that you escape any pain due to the testing of your triumphant voice.  

I'm not a preacher, but hey, you've got a fvcked up point of view on this matter.  Sooner or later YOU might have to kneel or you will be knelt.  (that master/slave shit doesn't go over too big with me either)
View Quote

I'm not saying my life is worth more than anyone else's, it sure as hell is not.
I am just another primate in this world.
People can kill, rape, maim to each other and do all the drugs in the world for all I care.
It's none of my business.
Unless they make it my business.

In life, I stay quiet, I keep my shit to myself, and anyone who f*Cks with me better be ready to die.

And if somebody can make me kneel, they deserve my alliegance.
Cause I will not go out without a fight to the end.
And I bow before no one.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:20:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

And I would definately like to be stuck on a desert island with Paige, Geneveive, Hilda, Amy and Laurie from Trading Spaces.

[sex]
View Quote

They'd probably kill you and eat you.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:27:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Yes, it's annoying that they latch on to something like this (it's a murder... It happens every day, somewhere in this country... It's sad, but move on) which really isn't 'news', and milk it...

As for why:

1) He's from Modesto, CA. Land of the last 'not-news, but we'll make news from it' crime, the dissapearance of Ms Levy...

2) Levy worked, so why not do it again... I mean, 9/11 shortened the milkable livespan of the Levy case, but now another one has popped up that will make up for this...

3) She looked good enogh when alive for TV...

Personally, I think it's pathetic...

Other 'pathetic attempts at news creation' were the shark-attack hysteria in the summer of 2001, the recent SARS craze, the focus on Haliburton and Bush's advisors finances, etc...

CNN could have made plenty of news back in Febuary, with all they knew about Iraq (but were covering up)...

There's other stuff going on in the world to report...

Fox could focus on the Democratic filibuster of Estrada or something...

And so on...
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 1:17:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 1:23:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
[red]M4AaU[/red] not meant as a flame or slam, just being a smartass about the over saturation. It is not a national news worthy story, and there have been, literally, hundreds of similair cases that haven't been reported.
View Quote

Hey , I know your not flaming.
I guess your right, living in CA you must be ready to go insane from all the hype!
Stay strong brother!
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 2:16:02 AM EDT
[#36]
I am tired of it too.  I hear about it on T.V., on the radio in my car, and in the newspaper. It's like the media gets done with one case and then they gotta jump on another. I got so sick of hearing about the Van Dame case and then this one popped up.
It would be much worse if the media didnt have the terrorist and Iraq stories also happening.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:35:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm not saying my life is worth more than anyone else's, it sure as hell is not.
I am just another primate in this world.
People can kill, rape, maim to each other and do all the drugs in the world for all I care.
It's none of my business.
Unless they make it my business.

In life, I stay quiet, I keep my shit to myself, and anyone who f*Cks with me better be ready to die.

And if somebody can make me kneel, they deserve my alliegance.
Cause I will not go out without a fight to the end.
And I bow before no one.
View Quote

I'm sorry, before I replied, I should have asked if you were your own god.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:54:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Well, it looks like the Laci Petersoin thing is on hold for a short while.

But has been replaced with something far worse!!!!!!!!!

HILLARY CLINTON!!!
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#39]
I agree this is getting way too much coverage at the national level.  This was a tragedy, but a tragedy that happens many times each day around the country.

And that blonde, know-it-all bimbo from Court TV that's on Larry King all the time is really messed up.  Guilty until proven innocent is apparently her philosophy.  I thinks she's mentally ill.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:31:49 PM EDT
[#40]
I heard a more interesting story than Laci's.

Some poor bastard got hoof and mouth disease from biting his toenails.

(Yawn.)
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I feel bad for the girl and the baby. But for God sakes can we get some news other than this. People die everyday in horrific ways, why do we dwell on this story?
View Quote
I agree. The sad thing though is that if you turn on your TV to any news show tonight, the majority of the news will be about all the wonderful ways people got killed today. REally cheers you up, huh?
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Yeah, that and the Guatemalan twins whose heads were surgically separated...it was news worthy once, but now it just pisses me off.  When there were complications they were flown back to CA from Guatemala on a private jet, I hope I didn't pay taxes for this crap but I know I did.  Let's see, CA is so broke it has to lay off police and cut education, among other funding, but it gave them free surgery and flew them here on a private jet.
I hate CA.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:18:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yeah, that and the Guatemalan twins whose heads were surgically separated...it was news worthy once, but now it just pisses me off.  When there were complications they were flown back to CA from Guatemala on a private jet, I hope I didn't pay taxes for this crap but I know I did.  Let's see, CA is so broke it has to lay off police and cut education, among other funding, but it gave them free surgery and flew them here on a private jet.
I hate CA.
View Quote

The Doctors donated their services for free and the hospitalzation services were donated by UCLA Medical Center out of their budget.  The state diddnt pay for anything extra as far as I know.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#44]
I haven't watched the news since this case started.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I haven't watched the news since this case started.
View Quote

Well, dont start back up anytime soon.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 1:09:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

[sex]
View Quote
Shes cute alright but my boobs are bigger than hers! Can't fantasize about some gal with tits smaller than mine..sorry..[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 1:39:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Yeah, me too!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#48]
I am tired of the media.  They do not cover NEWS, they only sell human interest stories and play on people's emotion.  Money is what they want.  Some have said folks do not have compassion, well what idiots hound the victoms and families to get the "story"?.  The media.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 3:47:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Rant mode on pause!
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing...last night I was channel surfing between periods of the hockey game, and NBC had this seemingly interminable interview with her family, I guess.  Not to mention Larry King has this going non stop...Jesus, how hard up for ratings can they get?  Enough is ENOUGH!!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 3:57:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Im with Sniper_Wolfe, I havent watched the news since the war ended.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top