Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2003 10:17:08 AM EDT
Can anyone give me some feedback on the Steyr M series of pistols? I was looking at one the other day and I fell in love with the grip and balance of it. Not to mention the price of $350.00. The FFL said that they changed importers and the price has dropped about $200.00. Please let me know if it is a good buy or a piece of crap?

556mm
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:33:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a steyrm40 for over a year...excellent firearm...good for chl/ccw. the front site is great for point shooting/close combat;otherwise, it is crapty for distance beyond 50 feet.

I find the ergonomics to be the best for me out of any pistol on the market... ...Great gun...parts are expensive and hard to find...ordered all mags online from cdnn investments..

I shot the steyrm9 and swapped it for the 40...NO RECOIL..it was like a water pistol

Both guns...over 3000 rounds...maybe 1 or 2 failure to feeds within the first 50 rounds...nothing afterwards...

A friend had part finding issues because of the lack of distribution and Steyr sent him the multiple of the same part and apologized for the lack of U.S. distribution.

Good gun...honest manufacturer...good price right now..Good Luck
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:37:33 AM EDT
[#2]
WOW!  Great info there recon. I am considering this gun fo CCW, although my wife may try to take it from me.lol!!!

Maybe with the new importer, the parts and distibution in the US will be better.

Thanks again,
556mm
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I had one, competed with it for over a year in IDPA.  Overall pretty good gun.  When it was really hot I would get light primer strikes.  It recoiled more than it should, much more than a Glock 23 IMO.  It's hard to find extras for (i.e. sites).  I think it could have gone somewhere, but Steyr's US representation is very small.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:05:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:35:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I had one for CCW but got rid of it. In my experience the loaded-chamber indicator would cause the slide to go out of battery. You see, the loaded chamber-indicator is basically a little metal rod that protrudes to the breach-face. When a round is in the breach, the little rod sticks out of the rear of the slide, where you can feel it with a finger and see it as well.

In my experience, whenever I had a round in the chamber and put my pistol in the holter, the slide would retract a little, but the chamber indicator would keep the slide out of battery when the pistol cleared the holster, making it unable to fire. It actually excerted that much force on the edge of the bullet, in fact the little metal rod kept it from going back into battery...not good. There's a reason no modern design uses this sustem.

Most other pistols would have the slide close back up as soon as it cleared the holster.

I got rid of it and bought a P7 instead.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top