Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2003 5:04:44 PM EDT
I've got a flourescant fixture in my kitchen.  It's 4 of the tube bulbs in a housing.  Lately it hasn't been turning on with the first time I hit the switch.  I have to flick it a few times before they kick on.  And then, it's not all of them because a few minutes later another light or two will come on and it will get brighter.

So are the bulbs going or something more serious?
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:17:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Bulbs grow in the dirt.[:D] Check the lamps for blackening ends, if some are, replace. If the problems still exists, replace ballast.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:36:32 PM EDT
[#2]
It's the ballast.  Replace it and the lamps at the same time.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:00:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Bulbs grow in the dirt.[:D] Check the lamps for blackening ends, if some are, replace. If the problems still exists, replace ballast.
View Quote

Everyone's gotta be a smartass.  [:P]

The tubes look pretty damn white so I'm guessing it's the ballast.   Um...what's that?  The pieces on the end or something else?  Is this gonna be expensive?  I'm unemployed and would just live with it but I'm selling the place and have already stated everything is in working order.  Any way to cheat a few extra weeks out of them or I'm screwed?
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:08:19 PM EDT
[#4]
You can check the sockets, if they are burnt, replace, otherwise it will be the ballast. Cost, around $8.00 for a 2 lamp four foot ballast at Home Depot.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:21:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I checked one set of sockets, they look almost new.  I'll check the rest in the morning but I'm guessing it'll be the ballast.  I've got the thing open and see both the units.  Hopefully when I start them in the morning cold It'll only be one light set so I'll only need one ballast.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#6]
is it both sets that flicker or just one of the sets?
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Everyone's gotta be a smartass.  [:P]

View Quote

Well hell, you gotta' expect it.  

A name like BEN FRANKLIN askin' an Electrical question.  

OK, just tell me to go fly a kite!  [:)]

Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe be ballast, but if old enough may have a seperate starter.

About 1 inch long, silver in color, 1/2 turn to remove and the good news (deer balls), you know under a buck.

Good luck
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:02:38 PM EDT
[#9]
swap bulbs, does problem follow?

yes?  then its the bulbs..

no?  something else.

sockets?
ballast?
capacitor?
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:11:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Maybe be ballast, but if old enough may have a seperate starter.

About 1 inch long, silver in color, 1/2 turn to remove and the good news (deer balls), you know under a buck.

Good luck
View Quote

The condo was finished in '86 so I'm not sure if that's old enough for starters.  Never heard of them.  Do they go in between the bulb and socket or...  I don't think I've got them, there's 2 ballast units in the center of the fixture with 4 bulbs (2 on each side of ballasts).  

Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:13:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
swap bulbs, does problem follow?

yes?  then its the bulbs..

no?  something else.

sockets?
ballast?
capacitor?
View Quote

I'm just starting to troubleshoot so I'll have to get back to you on the following problem just because it only happens after the lights have been off for a while.  But that's a good point.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:54:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Okay after this morning I'm wondering if I've got a combined problem.

Last night before I went to be I tried the light and a pair of the tubes didn't fire up.  I then swapped one lit tube for one of the un-lit tube and everything lit up when I put them in.

This morning the pair with the last night's un-lit tube didn't fire up.  I wiggled them a bit with no luck.  They finally started after a minute or so.  I just tried it again with the same results.  The pair with the moved 'bad' tube didn't light up right away.

Now I still have the problem of the lights not coming on for the first couple of switches when they've been sitting for a few hours.  So I'm guessing that I need to replace one of the ballast still.  Or could one tube that is on the verge of dying keep the whole system from turning on??
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:59:47 AM EDT
[#13]
It's really not rocket science Ben.  Just go to the store and spend $10 on 4 new bulbs, put them in, and let us know if it solves your problem or not.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:18:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's really not rocket science Ben.  Just go to the store and spend $10 on 4 new bulbs, put them in, and let us know if it solves your problem or not.
View Quote

There it is.....
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:43:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well for someone with a job, it's easy to just throw money at a problem until it goes away.

If you're not going to be constructive and help me ascertain the problem based on the information given, you don't have to be a prick.  

Edit: And a big Thank You to those who have actually been assisting me.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Well for someone with a job, it's easy to just throw money at a problem until it goes away.

If you're not going to be constructive and help me ascertain the problem based on the information given, you don't have to be a prick.  

View Quote

I wasn't trying to be a prick, I didn't realize that flourecent bulbs were on the "must have" list for the enemployed.  If you can direct me to the list, I'll avoid these problems in the future.
I honestly just couldn't figure out why you were micro-obsessing over something this small.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:55:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I wasn't trying to be a prick, I didn't realize that flourecent bulbs were on the "must have" list for the enemployed.  If you can direct me to the list, I'll avoid these problems in the future.
View Quote

Sounds like you're being quite prick-ish to me, regardless of how funny you think you are being.

Do you have every last cent in your bank account pre-allocated to something?  I've got X number of dollars to spend on food, utilites and the move I'm making to VA for the next month.  From there I'll have a less per-month expense and will be able to secure a part time job.  Until then, let me be.  If you can't figure something out, don't be a dick, just ask instead of assuming my situtation.

I'm 'obsessing' over this because I don't know have years of experience on how flourescant lights behave and there are some on this board that DO.  I'm asking them for the help and they are being helpful.

You simply chose to be annoying.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 12:11:24 PM EDT
[#18]
The downside to flourescent lights is that sometimes it's cheaper to replace the entire fixture with an incandescent (plain old-fashioned light [i]bulbs[/i][;)]) unit, than it is to replace a ballast and [i]lamps[/i].

Let your wallet be your guide.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 12:59:46 PM EDT
[#19]
It is the Ballast.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#20]
The thermal cut-out in the ballast is probably the culprit. Replace the ballast.

27 years in the bidness.

Enjoy your evening.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 1:42:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Sounds like you're being quite prick-ish to me, regardless of how funny you think you are being.

Do you have every last cent in your bank account pre-allocated to something?  I've got X number of dollars to spend on food, utilites and the move I'm making to VA for the next month.  From there I'll have a less per-month expense and will be able to secure a part time job.  Until then, let me be.  If you can't figure something out, don't be a dick, just ask instead of assuming my situtation.

I'm 'obsessing' over this because I don't know have years of experience on how flourescant lights behave and there are some on this board that DO.  I'm asking them for the help and they are being helpful.

You simply chose to be annoying.
View Quote

All righty then captain sensitive.  You want my suggestion on how to fix your light then? Get a goddamn job and pay someone else to do it.

(edited to say: now THAT is being a prick)
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 1:43:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Make sure you kill the power at the circuit breaker, dont' just turn the lamp off. If there are other flourescent lamps running on the same circuit their ballasts can drive voltage spikes into even the white line and bite you good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top