Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2003 6:16:39 PM EDT
How many of you guys activly boycott companies that are anti-gun. Or for that matter are anti-abortion, or simply support something you disagree with?

Ben and Jerrys is about the only company that I seriously try to avoid. For the most part, I'd rather spend my energy emailing or calling my representives, and voting pro 2nd.

I've seen slews of companies listed as "anti-gun", but it seems that many of those same companies donate money to various political parties and causes that sometimes conflict with each other, thus not nailing  themselves down to a specific issue.

Anyway, I was wondering to what degree you all boycott. And to what degree you think it works, or doesn't.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I have gotten to the point that I don't even have to think that hard about it anymore.

Video store - no anti-Bush actors
Grocery store - no outspoken MFG's that supports what I don't
Politicians - that one's easy
Offering plate on Sunday - not a chance for the liberal churches that I may visit

A little bit of thought can make a big difference.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#3]
No Glock for me.  I'd like to avoid Ben & Jerry's, but it's so good. [V]

I still avoid Exxon at all costs.  Only get gas there if I'm sucking vapors and they're the only one around.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#4]

I boycott anti-gun companies, like Levis.  But I do not boycott pro-choice companies (as I am also pro-choice and that would be stupid).  I also do not boycott French or German companies, as I have no idea how the people who own/run those companies feel about global issues, nor do I really care.  

So overall, I will boycott extremely anti-gun companies like Levis (who contribute and actively campaign against guns), but I don't bother with any other issue.  In fact, I think that people "over boycott" and that such activities actually do harm because they are perceived as ill-thoughtout and over-broad.  I really felt like the anti-french company boycott was stupid and harmful on many levels.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Levis is anti-gun?  That sucks but Eddie Bauer makes some nice jeans that I like better anyways.

I do boycott all shit that is french.  Its tough because my favorite after shave is Neiva Balm that is really soothing.  I also won't own another Ruger because of Bill Rugers involvment in the high cap ban.  I used to boycott SW, but I have ended that boycott because of the ownership chage.  I met the chairmen of SW a few weeks ago.  Came in to buy a Toyota and I talked to him for a few mins.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Hallmark, the greeting card people, based in Kansas City contributed over $1million to stopping Missourri's CCW attempt.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:01:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I really dont boycott much. I dont buy Levi's becuase I just Like Wranglers better. I dont eat Ice cream. But I do Support Budweiser they are pretty pro gun. I think I m going to crack me a few cans right now.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:46:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I be a boycottin muthafucka...!
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#9]
the RIAA [:D]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Yup, I boycott when needed, It's my money and even though it probably won't really mean shit, it's the only way I have to show the anti companies how I feel about their politics.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:12:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I really dont boycott much. I dont buy Levi's becuase I just Like Wranglers better. I dont eat Ice cream. [red]But I do Support Budweiser they are pretty pro gun.[/red] I think I m going to crack me a few cans right now.
View Quote

I support Budweiser too, and sometimes WAY too much [;)][beer]

I do boycott Ben&Jerry's, and in some senses Levi's, but that's mostly because their jeans suck ass.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:31:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:25:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Sure I boycott. I wanted a Glock for a long time, and now I'm the proud owner of an XD. I generally don't boycott every anti company, but I don't mind boycotting the ones who are directly involved, like Glock.

If I think I should have guns, and the ice cream man thinks that I shouldn't, that's not a big problem for me.

HOWEVER, if I think that I should have guns, and the guy that makes guns says, "I sell guns, but I don't think that YOU should be able to buy them," or some other stupid stuff (Glock) then I usually will take my business elsewhere.

That being said, I think there's several reasons to stay away from Ben and Jerry. (They even SOUND like a gay company, IMO)
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 2:31:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Levi's because they pulled support from Boy Scouts because of their stand on home leaders. Anyone else that is anti gun like maybe AARP. [usa]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 3:54:17 AM EDT
[#15]
You gotta hit the companies in their pocket books, otherwise they don't give a shit what people think.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:04:15 AM EDT
[#16]
PEP BOYS AUTO STORES ! They were the idiots who fired our SERVICE men and women AFTER being called to DUTY in IRAQ.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:34:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Ben & Jerry's.

Many of the Hollyweird idiots.

Dixie Chicks

Levis

Smith & Wesson

Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:47:41 AM EDT
[#18]
I boycot Nike, after they gave that punk 90 million right out of High School...
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:52:01 AM EDT
[#19]
[b]Mike Tyson = Rapist[/b]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:04:36 AM EDT
[#20]
McDonalds gives an assload to guncontrol entities don't they? All my Glocks and Rugers are Pre-Dumbass, does that make them worth more? Like a pre-ban, wait, their all pre-ban too, so they are pre-dumbass ban. But since the ban is dumbass anyway that's not a good term, pre-dipshit? pre-dumbfuck, pre-numbnuts, pre-nuthuffer, pre-cocksmoker, AHHHH Pre-betrayal, that's it. All my Rugers and Glocks are pre-betrayal. It's not the guns' fault. Guns don't stab gun owners in the back, corporate executives do.
No Levis
No McDonalds
No B&J (waaaaaaaaa)
No BK
No Exxon (I want my Eagles back motherfuckers)
No New Line Cinema (After What they did to the Antiheros)
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:27:47 AM EDT
[#21]

A lot of folks have already listed many on my shitlist.

[b]Blacklisted:[/b]

Exxon (tried to bill Alaska for Valdez cleanup)
Ben & Jerry's (I Hate Hippies)
Apple Computers (See Ben & Jerry's)
Seagrams (Owned by Frogs)
NBA (Because of Latrell Sprewell)

But it gets to the point where it's impossibe to FULLY boycott some companies because they have so many subsidiaries.

Just TRY boycotting AOLTimeWarner for example. [whacko]

Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:30:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Does the fact that I too broke to buy anything count?

Cus then sure, Im boycotting right now.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:53:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Levis is anti-gun?  That sucks but Eddie Bauer makes some nice jeans that I like better anyways.
View Quote

Their jeans are superiour quality, and last longer than any other brand of jeans I've ever owned. Most of the clothes I wear(and have worn for about 5years)are Eddie Bauer.

I don't necessarly boycott anyone,  except some fast food: KFC by my apartment, but thats for service related reasons. McDonalds because it's just plain nasty and Sonic is so much better.

Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#24]
if i owned anheuser busch stock, decided to quit drinking, and sold my stock before doing so, i'd go to jail for insider trading [:D]

glad to know im doing a good thing!

my wild turkey is french though, so thats sucks, so are my favorite tires.  i will not watch any movie with any hollywood heavy lefties in it.  i boycott to an extent.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hallmark, the greeting card people, based in Kansas City contributed over $1million to stopping Missourri's CCW attempt.
View Quote

I called them to let them know I would not be buying anymore Hallmark products when I found out about this. I saw it in a letter printed in [i]American Rifleman[/i].

I have not bought a Hallmark card since then...

I try to be careful about buying products from liberal companies, without "cutting off my nose to spite my face".[;)]

I have never even tried Ben & Jerry's.[puke]

Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:55:40 AM EDT
[#26]
I worked at Ben and Jerry's once. I saved up enough money to buy a Beretta 92FS on my 21st birthday. I have always wanted to send them a picture of it and let them know I worked all summer for them so I could buy it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 3:02:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I too boycott what I know about. Hallmark, Levis, anything endorsed or staring by/with an anti/ Liberal/ hollywood assclowns. I also boycott 7/11's stores. This is a royal pain because I used to take the kids in for a nice cold slurpee or Pop(soda) when We would be out in the heat. Now We have to drive around to find somewhere else to spend Our money.

Tall Shadow
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top