Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2003 7:10:50 PM EDT

2 Grocery Workers Charged In Robber Shooting

May 27, 2003 6:55 am US/Eastern

(1010 WINS) NEW YORK Two workers at a grocery store in Harlem have been given weapons charges in the shooting death of a 19-year-old man who attempted to rob them on Sunday night, police said.

Jose Acosta, 69, and Victor Alejandro, 23, were both charged with second degree criminal possession of a weapon, after a botched robbery attempt resulted in the death of Luquarn Washington, 19.

Police said Washington and an accomplice entered the store on Eighth Avenue and 130th Street at 9:39 p.m. Sunday and attempted to rob it at gunpoint.

But Acosta and Alejandro were both working at the store at the time. Acosta produced a weapon and fired it, striking Washington who was pronounced dead at Harlem Hospital. The other robber fled the store.

A .22 caliber revolver was recovered at the scene, said Det. Carolyn Chew, a police spokeswoman.

Published reports in Tuesday editions of The New York Times, Newsday, The Daily News and The New York Post said that Washington has been absent without leave from the U.S. Army for several months.

An investigation into the robbery is continuing, police said.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Fucking [bs].........
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Each time i've gone to NYC, i've packed.

Each time I pack in a place where the law says I'm not supposed to, I understand that I am taking a chance. But I would rather suffer a "weapons charge" than suffer through a stab or gunshot wound.

It's a all a personal choice.

Senior Acosta and Alejandro made that same choice.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:22:39 PM EDT
[#3]
It's so nice to live in a city that gives you the freedom to go to jail for defending yourself.....
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I posted it yesterday.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=188316&w=myTopicPop[/url]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#5]
At least it didn't hold more than 17 rounds [rolleyes].

Man I WOULD NOT live in a gun free area such as that.

Saw your post SkeetandTrap. That woman's an idiot.

CRC
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:36:28 PM EDT
[#6]

House-by-house, slowly but surely, one gunowner at a time...

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:38:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I would have shot them both, wiped down the weapon, dropped it on the floor, and continued to say "what gun"...."I don't own a gun"...."I've never touched that gun"......
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:51:36 PM EDT
[#8]
How much jail time did the guy who defended himself on the subway get? Bernard Goetz?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:06:40 PM EDT
[#9]
the City of NY is here to protect you! [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, I know you're being sarcastic, but I [url=http://smallestminority.blogspot.com/2003_05_18_smallestminority_archive.html#94721269]wrote this[/url] a few days ago, and it has bearing on this.

How the hell does NYC get away with denying people the right to protect themselves when they have no legal duty to do it themselves?  Because they have a [i]permit process??[/i]  Like these two guys had the time and money required to go through it?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Too bad he didn't live long enough to rat out his accomplice.

Why was the younger guy, Victor Alejandro, charged?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:46:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Luquarn Washington, 19. was obviosly a hard working member of the underprivilaged minority caste.  He was gunned down in cold blood by the rich capitalistic shop owners.  Sounds like a job for the good Rev. Al Sharpton!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:58:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I left NYC in 1995 [bounce]
and NEVER looked back!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 10:04:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Gotta applaud the two guys for sticking up themselves.

I wonder what they told the cops.  "Damn right, this is my gun and this is the SOB who tried to rob me."  Civil disobediance at it finest.

I've talked to enough old timers to know he is NOT in a minority.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 10:06:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Did Washington go AWOL because he was afraid of being shot?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 10:42:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Each time I pack in a place where the law says I'm not supposed to, I understand that I am taking a chance. But I would rather suffer a "weapons charge" than suffer through a stab or gunshot wound.

View Quote

It is your choice, but if you are caught you are looking at 3-8 years in jail and a standing policy in the DA's office of no plea bargains unless you agree to a minimum 1 year jail sentence.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 10:43:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How much jail time did the guy who defended himself on the subway get? Bernard Goetz?
View Quote

Bernie served a year on Criminal Weapons Possession 3rd.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 10:46:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, I know you're being sarcastic, but I [url=http://smallestminority.blogspot.com/2003_05_18_smallestminority_archive.html#94721269]wrote this[/url] a few days ago, and it has bearing on this.
View Quote

nice job!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 10:52:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It is your choice, but if you are caught you are looking at 3-8 years in jail and a standing policy in the DA's office of no plea bargains unless you agree to a minimum 1 year jail sentence.
View Quote

Yup.

And there might come a time when I am facing 20 years for owning an , and hopefully, I will disregard that stupid law just as I disregard the stupid laws in NYC.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 11:40:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I [url=http://smallestminority.blogspot.com/2003_05_18_smallestminority_archive.html#94721269]wrote this[/url] a few days ago, and it has bearing on this.
View Quote
Well done. You're a busy boy!

Quoted:
How the hell does NYC get away with denying people the right to protect themselves when they have no legal duty to do it themselves?
View Quote
Well because you see, once [b]ALL[/b] the dogs in the kennel are de-fanged, then there's no need to worry about protecting any [u]particular[/u] dog because none of them will be able to harm another!

And in this story, three dogs have just been de-fanged (though one had to be euthanized).

So now New York is a just little bit safer with three more "threats" eliminated.

See? [:)]

Oh sure, it's a slow process, but they'll get there... eventually. The wheels of justice grind slowly - slowly but surely.

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 11:41:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup.

And there might come a time when I am facing 20 years for owning an , and hopefully, I will disregard that stupid law just as I disregard the stupid laws in NYC.
View Quote

I respect your right to choose that path.  In my case, having been to the Tombs, Rikers, Attica, Auburn and Sing Sing  (never as an inmate) I would rather risk getting mugged or worse while unarmed rather than risk a year or more in any of those places.  They are not fun places and your chance of getting killed or infected with HIV in prison are a lot higher than dying from street crime.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:51:09 AM EDT
[#22]
And if I could get bodyguards paid for by the taxpayers like Chuckie and Hillary do, I probably wouldn't pack either...

Maybe

Ok..I still would

We'll see if Chuckie still has bodyguards after he gets booted out of office...10 to 1 he'll be packing!
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 1:00:15 AM EDT
[#23]
NY the home of the rotten apple.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 1:26:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup.

View Quote

I respect your right to choose that path.  In my case, having been to the Tombs, Rikers, Attica, Auburn and Sing Sing  (never as an inmate) I would rather risk getting mugged or worse while unarmed rather than risk a year or more in any of those places.  They are not fun places and your chance of getting killed or infected with HIV in prison are a lot higher than dying from street crime.
View Quote

Well Phil...you could always "GET THE HELL OUT"

I went to NYC once to serve Governor's extradition warrant on a guy that was serving life on Rikers...he was going to be sent to FL and could possibly face lethal injection...He told me...and this is the honest truth....He would rather die by lethal injection than spend one year at Rikers....

I love New York.....from here!!!

[snoopy]           [sniper]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 1:35:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Well Phil...you could always "GET THE HELL OUT"
View Quote

I would if I could, believe me.  Unfortunately in my line of work I am restricted to New York or Los Angeles.  You choose which one you would take.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 2:19:52 AM EDT
[#26]
That is [bs], they were only defending themselves, fucking New York is becoming little Kalifornia.

[bs2]    
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 2:38:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

"Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6."
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:05:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Wait a second. They shoot and kill a robber, and the best charge that is offered is unlawful possesion of a gun.

Think about that for just a second. If there was a reason to charge for the actual shooting they would. They didn't.

I know many of you won't like that. But then again they all had free will, and chose to be in NYC, where guns=bad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top