Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2003 3:32:41 PM EDT
Heavy duty this, heavy duty that. I have a friend who bought a Dodge Ram , he got a 3500 , wheels with 8 lugs, diesel engine, this is one tough SOB truck, he uses it to drive back and forth to work, [b]only[/b] I asked him why the heavy duty stuff as he don't use it to trailer or haul stuff. He said "I like heavy duty stuff". Now other than we  all have the right to get we  want, what is the point in this, do people have some kind of fascination with heavy duty stuff ?? I am amazed with people who use overkill when buying things of this nature. I want a product that will last, but sometimes I myself have to refrain from buying a product with features I don't need or will never use.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:41:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Diesel engines last three times as long, and heavy trucks are safer. Case in point:

My brother was rear ended by a saturn. His F250 sustained $100 damage. His tow package electrical hookup was destroyed. The Saturn had $2500 damage, and the radiator was destroyed, so it had to be towed. What if it wasnt a low speed colision?

Besides, big trucks are more comfortable to ride in.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:42:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the same thing going on down here in the city.  The urban folks get these monsterous SUVs and toss on some huge ass mudders and never leave the city.  Nothing says offroading like driving on an 8 lane highway in rush hour.

Keving67
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#3]
cyanide,

Watch out, what you said about your friend is exactly what the liberals say about us and our evil black AR's!  Why would anyone ever need such a weapon?  It's so much more rugged, accurate and has better ergonomics than a regular hunting rifle.  We'll never use it in combat and unless you want to go on a mass killing spree you'll never use it to it's full potential...we don't need them![rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:50:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Huge trucks that never carry a load or see mud
Excessively loud motorcycles
Pitbull & Rottweiler dogs

It is what I call "macho syndrome"

Or penis littlelus syndrome

S-I
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:51:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Its THEIR $$,$$$. If I could afford a Ram 3500 Dually w/Hemi and fit the thing in my garage, I would have one. Just because I cant afford a Humvvee. Jason
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:54:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

S-I
View Quote

Black rifles that will never be carried into combat and shot full auto against enemy soldiers, yadda, yadda, yadda....only police and military need them!

That's the same logic the Libs use against us...[rolleyes]

This is America people buy and get things because they CAN!!!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Its THEIR $$,$$$. If I could afford a Ram 3500 Dually w/Hemi and fit the thing in my garage, I would have one. Just because I cant afford a Humvvee. Jason
View Quote

Yeah, beause we can is enough for me.

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:09:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

S-I
View Quote

Black rifles that will never be carried into combat and shot full auto against enemy soldiers, yadda, yadda, yadda....only police and military need them!

View Quote

Yes, because we can. I own 4 AR's plus numerous other black things. The difference is I don't go prancing around with them in front of other people to make me feel good about myself or to prove my manliness. I could afford an H1 or a Caddie Escallant(sp) but I drive an f-150 because it fits my needs. I would rather have a friendly dog than one that barks at anything within 50 yards, I don't feel a need to advertise my presence with a loud motorcycle or other vehicle.
That is a need for someone who needs to validate themselves. I don't have that need.

S-I
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Heavy duty diesel trucks hold there value much better than there light duty gas counter parts!!!
Sorta like comparing an mp-5 to a mac-10
BIG
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:25:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

S-I
View Quote

View Quote

Yes, because we can. I own 4 AR's plus numerous other black things. The difference is I don't go prancing around with them in front of other people to make me feel good about myself or to prove my manliness. I could afford an H1 or a Caddie Escallant(sp) but I drive an f-150 because it fits my needs. I would rather have a friendly dog than one that barks at anything within 50 yards, I don't feel a need to advertise my presence with a loud motorcycle or other vehicle.
That is a need for someone who needs to validate themselves. I don't have that need.

S-I
View Quote

It's truck/car you can't just keep it in the garage you have to drive it, right?  Maybe they are prancing maybe they are not, who gives a flying fuck???  

When you go out to the range with your AR and other black rifles are you saying no one else sees you?  There are probably some idiots at the range saying the same crap about you!  

People buy all kinds of stuff for all kinds of reasons, I'm sure there are some folks who buy evil black rifles for the same reason...

Bottom line, you decide what's good enough for you and they can decide what's good enough for them.

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:28:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Heavy duty diesel trucks hold there value much better than there light duty gas counter parts!!!
Sorta like comparing an mp-5 to a mac-10
BIG
View Quote
You have a good point on that
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I drive a semi.  You don't want to see me try to drive a mini cooper.  Them things are so small that I can't back them up.  Had my SUV in the garage getting some work done.  The wife rents a dodge neon while it is in the shop.  All in all, it is a fine car.  I couldn't back that thing in the driveway because the turning radius was so tight, the mirrors are too small and I was uncomfortable with the seat/steering wheel positioning.  You may not like the big pickup, but it is to each his own.  If he can afford the truck and the fuel, and feels more comfortable driving it (not to mention a lot safer in there than a yugo) so be it.  Don't be a liberal tree hugging anti SUV/pickup prick and let the man drive what he wants.  The most important thing is that when the need arises, he will have the capabilities that he needs.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:45:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I do not mean to be defensive but.... I own an APBT or (pit bull)- THE best breed in the world in MY opinion. My bed is bigger than some peoples living room. My yard is pretty big considering where I live. The speakers to my entertainment system are huge. My house, my house is rather large: so what, since its so large should I be worried if my neighbor is jealous? Should I turn it into an apartment so its half the living space? Should I take 25"s of my tv?

This is how I live, and it is what I like. [;)]

Naaaaa, I'm fine. If I had more $$$, I might have more. Jason
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I do not mean to be defensive but.... I own an APBT or (pit bull)- THE best breed in the world in MY opinion. My bed is bigger than some peoples living room. My yard is pretty big considering where I live. The speakers to my entertainment system are huge. My house, my house is rather large: so what, since its so large should I be worried if my neighbor is jealous? Should I turn it into an apartment so its half the living space? Should I take 25"s of my tv?

This is how I live, and it is what I like. [;)]

Naaaaa, I'm fine. If I had more $$$, I might have more. Jason
View Quote
I think I see your point, we do what makes us feel good. And I agree we should be able to. Well said.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Now other than we  all have the right to get we  want, what is the point in this, do people have some kind of fascination with heavy duty stuff ?? I am amazed with people who use overkill when buying things of this nature.
View Quote

This is the same argument that I have to counter when someone asks me why I own an AR, or why I own a 50 BMG or semi-auto 1919 belt fed. Can't hunt with them so what are they good for? The same thing your Corvette, Hummer, Kawasaki Ninja is good for. The same thing your 6000 square foot home is good for. I worked for it, I enjoy it, so I bought it. The speed limit is only 70 mph so why do you need a car or bike that can go 180? There are only two of your, why do you need such a big house? If this was a Marxist society like all the Liberals would like it to be, those who work 70 hours a week to afford the fancy toys would have a two room shack and the the brood mares with the 8 kids and no job or husband would live in the 6000 sq ft homes provided for by us working our asses off. Courtesey of wealth redistribution. If your happy driving a used 74 Datsun pickup truck and stashing your funds in a bank, so be it, it's your right. If your neighbor spends every dime on car payments for some frivilous vehicle he doesn't need, so be it. We need folks to spend money to keep the economy going. It surprising to hear you as a gun owner chastize someone with the same arguments that are used against you as a gun owner.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Unless it's a waitress asking me if I have enough coffee, I don't want to hear the word "enough."

It is nobody's f***ing business what is "enough" for me.  I don't don't give a shit what you think "enough" is.  "Enough" is for pussies.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#17]
 I drive a BFT (Big Fugging Truck) because I can afford it and it is a real pleasure to drive. Nothing beats the sound of a CTD. It has a snow plow package and a tow package...and I don't tow anything and live in FLA. How's that for overkill?
 I really enjoy pumping diesel fuel into my truck and having that smell all over my hands.It's right up there with CLP and Hoppes #9 [:D]
 I don't feel guilty for the success in my life that allows me to buy sh!t I don't need, and will continue to do so that others may wonder about the size of my penis [+]:D]

rigid out
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Answer is simple- it called "The American Way"

PS. My Big Heavy Duty Diesel gets 17.6 mpg hauling its 6600lbs around town! Compare that to the 1500 gas model I had that got 11-12 mpg...

[8d]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:31:46 PM EDT
[#21]
The American Way is the only Way for me!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top