Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2003 6:07:38 AM EDT
We're looking at some mosquito control for our backyard.  The area we want covered is in the 50'X100' range.  We are in an urban area with a fair amount of vegetation and established (75 year old) trees -- basically not a "new" subdivision with no trees/vegetation.

Does anyone have any experience with Mosquito Magnets [url]www.mosquitomagnet.com[/url] or a similar mosquito trap?

Is the Octenol attractant in any way toxic or harmful to humans or pets?

We would probably go with the Liberty ($495 and up to 1 acre coverage) or Defender ($295 and 1/2 acre).  They can be purchased at Home Depot, Sears, etc.  My inclination is to go with the Liberty as it made of "PVC and marine spec. powder-coated steel" versus the Defender's "furniture-grade PVC."  Anyone have any experience with either of these two models?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Corey

EDITED for typo.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:26:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I have tried it all and nothing works like a dual bulb Stinger 1 1/2 acre bug light.
Get one of those good jewels place it in back corner of your lot. Turn the Stinger on right at dust, wait 30 minutes to one hour and enjoy your backyard or porch.
They do work and I will never do without one in my backyard.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:39:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#3]
If it is only for while you are out, I just saw a little thing on the food network,(and it makes sense,) that if you set out a cube of dry ice,(well away from you,) it will keep them away from you too. Much cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:24:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have tried it all and nothing works like a dual bulb Stinger 1 1/2 acre bug light.
Get one of those good jewels place it in back corner of your lot. Turn the Stinger on right at dust, wait 30 minutes to one hour and enjoy your backyard or porch.
They do work and I will never do without one in my backyard.
View Quote
I use one of these and like it, even though all the books and internet sites say they don't work.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:06:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#6]
with the flooding along the wi river the skeeters are UNREAL this year...
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#7]
TBS is right!

I was just out by my pool and a mosquito flew by my head and knocked my hat off!

Balming
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:10:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:16:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Our skeeters in Fl use these lights to dine by.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, the lights and the little propane "magnets" work.  The question is, why do you want to attract these things to your house?
Buy them for your neighbors, then sit back and enjoy a bug free yard.
I use mosquito coils and citronella candles myself. The tiki torches work too.  I'm more interested in repelling mosquitos than attracting them.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Ive done work for
this Doctor for about 10 years now, Im in excavating/landscaping, i can remember thinking id be carried away by skeeters.  ....Hes got 2 magnets now, gets them running before the season starts, and he swears by them, me too, no skeeters at all last time I was there
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:54:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just had two of them swoop down and pick me right up!

One said "Lets take him into the woods and eat him there"

The other one said "No! If we do that the big ones will take him away from us"
View Quote

Was this a scene from Starship Troopers?
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:15:16 AM EDT
[#13]
We ordered the Mosquito Magnet Pro.  It'll be hear next week.

This is going to be a [i]terrible[/i] year for mosquitos, so I'll let everyone know how it works.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top