Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/22/2016 5:01:42 PM EDT

TL;DR - Old man (cager/bicyclist) wants a bike with a motor. Suggest a good first bike?

I fear the responses, but me Angus be Peppered!

I was born in the 60's. I am fit for my age (6' - 195lbs -keto, blah, blah bla) and I do a LOT of Mt. Bike riding.

I have not been on a motorcycle since I was 14. I've wanted one for YEARS. Finally, the stars have aligned and I am going to get a starter bike.

Why a starter bike? I strongly suspect I'll want to "move up", but I don't want a big bike to start with. Call me a pussy, I don't care, but I want to start small so I don't kill myself.

I am taking a two day "live" class, plus classroom training. They provide trainer bikes.

I THINK I want some kind of Enduro/Dual Sport. I'd love to keep it under $5,000, but could spend a bit more.  I have no problem spending additional amounts on needed clothing/helmet, etc

Why Dual Sport? I live in Central Oregon. We are kind of an island, but we have AWESOME fire roads and other places that a street bike would fail, but a full on dirt bike is not needed. I don't plan on racing!

I'll probably ride it to work (in town, less than 10 miles, top speed 35 mph) and to the lakes (less than 50 miles, top speed, whatever my cautious nature can handle) and to the range/orv trails (about 20 miles, open road)

The class (which the state accepts in lieu of testing) is in July. I've been looking at bikes, but there are SO many variables....This is the class. I would probably do it even if it wasn't a "requirement" for the endorsement on my license

Team Oregon

So...where do I start? Help!

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:03:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Yamaha r1
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:04:16 PM EDT
[#2]
KLR650 or SV650

Both are not only great beginner bikes but are good enough to keep you entertained for years. Plus, there are lots of used ones.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#3]
DR650 or DRZ400 depending on your size and how much power you want.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:08:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Not smart enough to know - is a 650 substantially more likely to get me in trouble than a 400?

I don't mind starting small then upgrading.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:08:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Wr250r. 6 gears, fuel injected, good suspension.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:10:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I have this. Way funner than any motorcycle I used to own.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:10:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yamaha r1
View Quote

It's the only answer.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Anything Orange.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:13:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It's the only answer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yamaha r1

It's the only answer.

That appears to be a big-boy bike.

Not ready for that. Not that I don't WANT to ride something like that...but if I want to die, I'll do it para-gliding (my favorite hobby)

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not smart enough to know - is a 650 substantially more likely to get me in trouble than a 400?

I don't mind starting small then upgrading.

View Quote

Not really with the carbed dual sports, you're not getting a ton of power with the displacement, just more torque lower in the revs.  A 650 dual sport will be wayyyy more pleasant for highway-speed jaunts than a 400.

I'll go against the KLR koolaid drinkers and recommend the Suzuki DR650.  Fantastic bike, not the pig the KLR is, but more livable day to day and for long trips than the smaller dual sport bikes.  Aftermarket for these is positively huge, everything you want from big bore kits, bigger fuel cells, suspension, luggage, etc.  Go over to procycle.us if you need to kill some time.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Hayabusa ?
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Not ready for that. Not that I don't WANT to ride something like that...but if I want to die, I'll do it para-gliding (my favorite hobby)

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yamaha r1

It's the only answer.

A 250 will kill you the same as a liter bike will
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#13]
DRZ-400S or WR250R

Both are easy to find cheap, cheap and easy to work on, fun to ride and you'll be able to get your money back out of them.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yamaha r1

It's the only answer.

The 1000cc can do it in an impressively shorter amount of time
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#15]
SV650 is what you seek. It's a great beginner bike that you won't outgrow super fast. Not a dual sport but way more fun on the street then a dual sport is.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
SV650 is what you seek. It's a great beginner bike that you won't outgrow super fast. Not a dual sport but way more fun on the street then a dual sport is.

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/jpg/200710/2008-suzuki-sv650-2w.jpg

View Quote

Dirt/Gravel Roads ok?
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
KLR650 or SV650

Both are not only great beginner bikes but are good enough to keep you entertained for years. Plus, there are lots of used ones.
View Quote

This or a Kawasaki Versys with knobby tires.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:29:27 PM EDT
[#18]
KLR650 is like the AK47 of motorcycles.

People who don't know any better love them because they are cheap, but they really belong in the trash can

DR650, XR650L, DRZ400S or WR250R.  Those four are most street-worthy to least bad in the dirt in that order.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yamaha r1

It's the only answer.

I am assuming (probably wrong) that a smaller engine is a little less likely to kill me. I know that if a truck flattens me, I'm dead in any case. But as an avid bicyclist - I already have that risk.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am assuming (probably wrong) that a smaller engine is a little less likely to kill me.
View Quote

Mostly, but not 100%.  When you compare bikes of the same type it's mostly true, like 250 Ninja versus 1000cc R1.  But something like a KTM 450 Dual sport is going to have nearly twice as much power as a Japanese 650 dual sport.
On the other hand, that KTM has way better suspension and brakes, and the handling can probably get you out of trouble that the power got you into
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:41:24 PM EDT
[#21]
DRZ400. They're fantastic and can be had well within your budget,enough so for a really nice one and very good riding gear.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:45:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

/thread
Unless you want something a little more dual-sporty, then you get the Suzuki DR650 (same engine in a taller more upright chassis with longer travel suspension)
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:46:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I did a bunch of fire road riding in a DR-350.  I have to agree with the poster above that recommended the DR-650.  Go put your hands on one.  If it's too big (I doubt it) try the DR-400.

Either way understand that dual sports can go on road and off road.  That makes them good at neither.  You can't run good off road tires on the street and you won't get far off road on street tires.  But if you'd like to ride at a relaxed pace on the highway and then ride carefully off road then a dual sport is the ticket.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:46:04 PM EDT
[#24]
My default answer is to say KLR650.  Why? Cheap, parts everywhere, reliable as a hammer,  upright position, and you don't need to "grow out of it". It's all the bike you'll probably ever need.

but that might be my confirmation bias talking.  The downsides are that it's big, can be heavy, and it's terrible for most people on single track. it's decent on the road though.

many people will advocate starting smaller,  Yamaha WR250, DRZ400 something.  this is not bad advice.  Smaller bikes ARE easier to manage and easier to learn on. At at 60,  with 45+ years of no bike under you, you are learning.

It all comes down to being HONEST what you want to do with it.  If you're mostly road with some trails,  a KLR is going to serve you very very well. It's bigger and heavier which makes it better on the road.  I've ridden a WR250 on the freeway, and besides the fact I'm 6'5" and I looked a monkey humping a football, it was not very good on the freeway. it was actually scary.

DRZ400 is better.   it's faster and has more power but it's bigger.

I ride the road mostly, with some fire roads and the occasional single track. I'm huge so the KLR on single track i can manage, but it's outstanding on the road, for a dual sport. It gets about 48MPG. I have modified it to be more docile on the road, 16 tooth front sprocket to drop the rpms on the freeway,  more padded seat, upgraded suspension.  

look at the DRZ400,  DR650 and KLR650.  If you go the 650 route I'd recommend the KLR, just cause parts are SO common and cheap.  DR's are great, but getting big tanks on them is harder than the stock 6.5 on the KLR.  The XR650l has a tiny tank, the XR650R is FANTASTIC offroad but it's a kick start, which is a pain in the ass.  

I love my bikes,  both dual sports,  KLR650 *heavily* modded for long range and off road prowess, it's perfect, and a more refined Italian dual sport that nobody knows about, AWESOME bikes,  but heavy and very road oriented. It's not even a dual sport, it's an adventure tourer.  Aprilia Caponord 1000.  They are cheap to buy, awesome to ride.

my KLR650.  After the 16 tooth sprocket,  seat kit and Rox anti-vibration bars,  it'll do 4 hours on the freeway no problem, and then tear around in the dirt at hunt camp for the week and then back,  easy.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:46:49 PM EDT
[#25]
NC700X or CB500X would be good starters.  Not too much HP but enough to run on the interstates at reasonable speeds.  

Frankly, your choice mainly centers around your butt.  Sit down on a bunch of bikes and ride as many as the dealers will let you try.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:47:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Here's my take....

I am a MSF Rider Coach.  That doesn't make me a great rider, nor does it give me any special qualifications.  On the other hand, I've seen a little over 2,000 novice riders, and witnessed a lot of the mistakes.....

A dual sport is likely a good choice.  The upright seating position works well, especially for those of us who are past 45....   Power and handling levels are also pretty good, without the abruptness of a sport bike.  My current ride is a BMW F650GS and its a great bike.  The Vstrom 650 is a really nice contender too.  Both may be more heavy and larger than you are looking for as a novice bike.

The KLR650 is a solid choice.  Yes its a 650, but it generates about 35 HP.  This is nothing like the 70+/- HP you'll get out of a F650GS or the Vstrom.  You can find one for $3000-4000 easily, and they are cheap and easy to maintain.  Its not a true 'dirt bike', so it really isn't suitable for heavy duty riding in the single tracks, but its totally up to any logging roads, etc.  Its also not a true long distance tourer:  The power (lack of) and vibration are a bit much for long hauls at high speeds (65+ mph).  But overall, its a compromise bike that sort of does okay at everything.  Decent on gravel log gin roads, fine at 55mph on two lanes. .  It will do everything you have listed in the OP.  

There are various dual sport 200-250 class bikes.  These are better at woods and trails, but I wouldn't want to actually do any more than absolutely necessary on roads with one.  If the KLR is underpowered at 35 HP, these little bikes seem to need a tail wind, down hill run, and a good push to get up to street speeds.  There are exceptions (Yamaha WR250r) but these are pricier.  We have a Suzuki DR200 at our training site.  Absolute top end, down hill, with the tail wind, seems to be about 45 mph when its wound right out.  The KLR is a better choice.

In all honesty, you'd be hard pressed to do better than the KLR for your outlined use, and at the outlined price.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yamaha r1

It's the only answer.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:50:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Come over to the cars and bikes forum and read this...

A do eveything bike...
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Any KTM or Honda for ease of use and comfort but stay in 500cc or less IMO but if you want something for more than a year before trade up read this http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/10/22/dual-sport-motorcycle-comparison-test-review-specifications-photos-adventure-touring
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
KLR650 or SV650

Gets great reviews by every publication in circulation. I personally don't like the aesthetics but can't argue with it's performance.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#32]
For your age and stature I think the new Honda 1100 standard would be a great starter bike for you.  You would never out grow it and when you decide to try something else it would still be a good motorcycle to keep on hand.

I ride bikes like this off road lots of times in WV. You would be surprised at the places it will go.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:03:10 PM EDT
[#33]
this thread is relevant to my interests

I've been seriously thinking about getting a trail bike
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Dirt/Gravel Roads ok?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dirt/Gravel Roads ok?

I would say no and I road raced one for a few years. A KTM dual sport is what I would recommend for you.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#35]
At your age, you should have it all.  R1200GSA.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:09:56 PM EDT
[#36]
At your age which has to be close to mine, you are only going to be comfortable on a cruiser.  Crotch rockets and old joints don't mix well.  Honda Shadow 750 would be a great starter bike that's hard to outgrow unless you start doing long cross country trips and is dead reliable.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
KLR650 or SV650

Versus has been to Nova Scoctia to tip of South America just like the high dollar BMW bikes. Owned one myself for 1.5 years. Would buy the liter version if doing again.

IBTB?

In Before Turbo Busa?
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:12:52 PM EDT
[#38]
I 'd want a Honda 1000cc Africa Twin

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#39]

Damn - lots to consider here!

I suspect that in year 1-2, my riding will be close to 50/50 road/dirt- but not dirt tracks or crazy singletrack.

We have tons of great fire roads around here.

I generally ride 1500-2000 miles a year on my mountain bike. Many of the guys I ride with also ride motorbikes, but all of them are street/sportbike guys. That doesn't (currently) interest me.

I do like torque!

Thanks for the input so far.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#40]
There is no reason to start small, unless you are just afraid you will let a heavy bike fall over on you.
If you see the problem as too much power, the solution is simple. Be easy on the throttle until you get used to it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

http://cdn.pinthiscars.com/images/2015-bmw-r1200gsa-wallpaper-3.jpg

View Quote

I do like those.

But I'd have to get a divorce first if that was my "starter" bike.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#42]
BMW R1200GSA. You know you want to.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

https://scootinoldskool.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/vespa_gts_super.jpg?w=500
View Quote
And like a really really fat girl - you don't want anyone to see you with either .....

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:18:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

http://cdn.pinthiscars.com/images/2015-bmw-r1200gsa-wallpaper-3.jpg

View Quote

Ooooh! I want one of those too, but that is a rich mans bike.  Someday....
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:18:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Kawasaki KLR650.

The Kawasaki KLE650 (Versys) wouldn't be bad, either.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:19:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
And like a really really fat girl - you don't want anyone to see you with either .....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://scootinoldskool.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/vespa_gts_super.jpg?w=500

I was not sure how to respond to Pikeslayer's post....
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Gets great reviews by every publication in circulation. I personally don't like the aesthetics but can't argue with it's performance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
KLR650 or SV650

I had one. It was great.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:20:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Here's my take....

I am a MSF Rider Coach.  That doesn't make me a great rider, nor does it give me any special qualifications.  On the other hand, I've seen a little over 2,000 novice riders, and witnessed a lot of the mistakes.....

A dual sport is likely a good choice.  The upright seating position works well, especially for those of us who are past 45....   Power and handling levels are also pretty good, without the abruptness of a sport bike.  My current ride is a BMW F650GS and its a great bike.  The Vstrom 650 is a really nice contender too.  Both may be more heavy and larger than you are looking for as a novice bike.

The KLR650 is a solid choice.  Yes its a 650, but it generates about 35 HP.  This is nothing like the 70+/- HP you'll get out of a F650GS or the Vstrom.  You can find one for $3000-4000 easily, and they are cheap and easy to maintain.  Its not a true 'dirt bike', so it really isn't suitable for heavy duty riding in the single tracks, but its totally up to any logging roads, etc.  Its also not a true long distance tourer:  The power (lack of) and vibration are a bit much for long hauls at high speeds (65+ mph).  But overall, its a compromise bike that sort of does okay at everything.  Decent on gravel log gin roads, fine at 55mph on two lanes. .  It will do everything you have listed in the OP.  

There are various dual sport 200-250 class bikes.  These are better at woods and trails, but I wouldn't want to actually do any more than absolutely necessary on roads with one.  If the KLR is underpowered at 35 HP, these little bikes seem to need a tail wind, down hill run, and a good push to get up to street speeds.  There are exceptions (Yamaha WR250r) but these are pricier.  We have a Suzuki DR200 at our training site.  Absolute top end, down hill, with the tail wind, seems to be about 45 mph when its wound right out.  The KLR is a better choice.

In all honesty, you'd be hard pressed to do better than the KLR for your outlined use, and at the outlined price.

View Quote

Thanks for this. I do need something that can run at least 60 MPH on the highway without being totally spun out.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Here's my take....

View Quote

I agree completely.

Be honest with yourself.  If you are going to be on the road more than gravel/dirt then KLR is the way to go.  Same thing if you want to ride on the freeway for longer periods of time.  

If you are going to go in the dirt more than 30-40% of the time, then the Suzuki is what you want.  

I have a couple of bikes. A Ducati PS1000LE and a Multistrada (similar to the Capo mentioned earlier).  As much as I like my Ducs, I'm looking at the KLR as a commuter and fire road bike.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Thanks for this. I do need something that can run at least 60 MPH on the highway without being totally spun out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's my take....

The Versys (KLE) will run 80 all day at 40+ mpg
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top