Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/23/2003 6:04:59 PM EDT
Well, with all these awesome and primeval lakes around here, we have decided we need a small boat.
Someone my husband works with has one for sale, and we went to check it out tonight.
16-17' aluminum hull, hull was home built by "some really old guy" about 1982. Hull is double on the bottom, riveted like a tank, and is sound except for a few paint scratches.
Comes with, get this, a newly rebuilt 1954 outboard; carbs, water pump, all new and runs great. Has night running lights on stalks. Sort of cute and 50's looking for sure.
Also comes with 2 trolling motors, 2 depth/fish finders, 3 marine batteries, and a very nice solid trailer with side guides.
Everything works fine, he is trading up to a bigger boat.
4 good to very good vinyl fishing seats, but the glued down carpeting is dry rotted.
Not a problem, as the last time he had it out a few weeks ago, they were after catfish, and had taken along large horse food pellets as bait.
Well, the bag broke, and the horse pellets scattered over the bottom of the boat.
His tarp failed, and in the last big rain here, the pellets turned to stinky foul mush.
It now also has maggots in the mush.
"How very Marshall!" I remarked.
But, there is a drain hole back by the motor, so a good scrubbing out should not be too hard.
He wants $500 for the whole rig.
I want a small cheap boat to sightsee and maybe fish from.
Is this a good deal?
Please help, I have never owned a boat, new transplants from CO to TX.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#1]
What's boat stand for?

B break
O out
A another
T thousand

[:D]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#2]
LOL! I have also heard the definition as:
Boat: A hole in the water, surrounded by rust and corrosion, into which you pour money.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:19:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Can't be [i]that[/i] bad, it's just an itty-bitty boat:

[img]http://home.t-online.de/home/jgust/r_ley.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:21:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
LOL! I have also heard the definition as:
Boat: A hole in the water, surrounded by rust and corrosion, into which you pour money.
View Quote

I'd have to look at it, but generally speaking, if it floats it's easily worth $500.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#5]
LOL .... H.R. .. I love the way you renamed the topic [:D]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:29:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks all, I bought the boat.
Engine is a 56, not a 54.
Evinrude.
They will *clean* it and deliver on Monday with a test ride,
I am SO excited! Yay!
I have a boat!
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#9]
The only thing better than owning a boat is having a neighbor who owns a boat.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:03:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Phil, I will try to work up to that, but this is the *first* boat [:D]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:12:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:15:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Yepp, BK, it has plenty of space for a nice belt fed, for those pesky alligator gars, I guess.
I *do* plan to get life vests, as I don't want to drown if I hit something big in the water and get thrown from the boat.
I am an awesome swimmer, but we have alligator gars the size of busses down here that can wreck small boats if you hit them.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#14]
$500, and you haven't bought it [b]yet[/b]?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:23:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Phil, I will try to work up to that, but this is the *first* boat [:D]
View Quote

If you don't know how to swim, and swim well, get a PFD and WEAR IT!

Also, if you decide to leave the small lakes, LEARN THE RULES OF THE ROAD, and also the 'Law of Gross Tonnage*'.

Most of the close calls out here involve recreational boats with owners that are unaware that it can take well over a MILE to stop a laden tanker.

No lecture, enjoy.
* If he's much bigger than you, keep clear no matter what the book says!
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:39:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Might I suggest something along the lines of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Welcome to the dark side!!  you'll never own just one,  I'm on number 6, and that's just the one's with motors.  What lakes are you going to be on?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:48:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks Piccolo and all.
I will certainly stay out of the way of *everything* bigger than us, and a few that are smaller as well.
I am a newbie to boating and want to stay cautious and intact.
Thanks everyone for your responses, I will get pics on Monday when it comes home. [:D]

Edit to add for John:
Caddo and Lake of the Pines, those are our local lakes.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Somehow I think that this would be more your speed:

[url]http://www.battleship.org/images/bb62oa.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Throw in an 8-track player, a case of blatz and white plastic toilet seats for the officers head and you got a sale.

Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#21]
The '56 Evinrude is prolly worth what you are paying for the rig. At $500.00 you are in a "win-win"
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 2:06:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Can't be [i]that[/i] bad, it's just an itty-bitty boat:

[url]http://home.t-online.de/home/jgust/r_ley.jpg[/url]
View Quote

I like this picture better.

[img]www.greatoceanliners.net/Images/Jpegs/robertley03.jpg[/img]

After the British blew the crap out of it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 3:52:24 AM EDT
[#24]
The two best days in a boat owners life:
The day you buy your boat.
The day you sell your boat.

In all seriousness, the hull is probably fine but the old motor is what will give you the headache, they're high maintanence and above all, impossible to get parts for. Hull & trailer are worth the $500. If you plan on straying far from people that can tow you, I'd suggest a better motor. Definately have some communications available.

Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:37:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Consider this-A motor that old is almost a certain
headache but it might have some value to one of the
classic boat types.
A new outboard makes a gun look cheep,I would
look into one of the 4 cycle models . The reliability will be worth it in the long run
Have fun NHSPORT
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:45:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Caddo is a cool lake. Find an old timer with all the local history and it will be an event.

We usually go to Caddo with friends at least once a year, they own a cabin there. Fourth of July is wifes weekend away at Caddo... fullclip
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:50:54 AM EDT
[#27]
You might want to catch them Garfish and sell them to help pay for that boat. I know that around Patterson Louisiana, Gar sells for $1 a pound, rough. There is a certain part of the population in every southern community that eats gar. Easy to catch and it don't take many to pay for a $500 boat.

I'll tell you how to catch them if your interested.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:01:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Could tell me how not to catch them by any chance?

[img]http://www.earthwave.org/gars/treegar.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/adv/nphoto/images/wildlife/gar.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:01:28 AM EDT
[#29]
How *does* one hunt gars, Pangea?
Let alone drag em into the boat...
I have heard they weigh hundreds of pounds and have a long alligator shaped mouth filled with razor sharp teeth!
And that they are attracted to night running lights.
12 ga?
.308?
The locals do something with crossbows... but they are all crazy Cajuns.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:05:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:11:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:17:07 AM EDT
[#32]
For the "eatin size" garfish all you need is some cane poles and tarred nylon twine. Take a heavy cane pole(heavy as in thick at the tip), about 7-8 feet long and tie a length of twine at the base. Bring it up the pole with half hitches to the tip and make about a 8" loop on a slip knot. This loop should slip easily but not collapse on its own weight. Lay the poles in the water with the loop oriented 90 degrees to the pole. A gar will lay under a long shadow in the water to camoflage itself when it's hunting. When he goes to strike a target he will run into your loop and snag himself. You drive by every once in awhile and look for the bobbing poles. They are the ones with a fish. It's easier than stealing!

You could also take up the bowfishing sport. It is supposed to be a blast. Many garfish are harvested by this means and it is more like fun than work.

And I forgot to mention. My family is Cajun. But we aren't crazy.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:20:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The locals do something with crossbows... but they are all crazy Cajuns.
View Quote

They also use chickens to bait and catch alligators, which they batter-fry and tell you "It's good, just like chicken!"
Well, why didn't you eat that chicken you used as bait then, you nutjob?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:28:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:29:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Thanks TJ!
All very good information from everyone so far.
The largest gar taken out of Caddo Lake so far weighed in at 350. (!)
We will be mostly sightseeing at first, as I am also a complete newbie to fishing as well as boating.
Yes, there are Things in the water I do not want to meet up close, but I was raised as a small child in Maryland, so I have been yearning to get back to water and boats for over 40 years.
All helpful hints will be welcomed, as I don't want to become alligator food. [:D]

Edit to add:
"Crazy" as in brave and unbelievably skillful in dealing with Things in the water, Pangea.
"Insane" if *I* tried to do it.
No insult intended at all.
More like awe at what y'all can catch and with what tools you use to do it.
I LOVE the Cajuns down here, great food, cool music, and feats of fishing and hunting that are legendary.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:38:11 AM EDT
[#36]
I wasn't offended. I have been hearing that kind of comment all my life and know that it isn't usually meant as mean spirited. Bon chance avec ton neuveau bateau,tit fille. Entrape beaucoup poisants.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:24:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Merci beaucoup, mon ami Pangea.

And what an interesting way to catch gars!
Makes me wonder what sort of tactics the gars have evolved to catch small boats though, lol.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:45:05 AM EDT
[#38]
If ya have prop questions I would be happy to help. I would look into a newer engine also it can make for a lllloooonnnnggggg day. If ya get caught in a rain storm, etc etc etc. Congrats and keep the checkbook OPEN!!!
[:O]
[:O]. PG
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:53:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Thanks Propguy!
If heaven forbid, I should shear the pin and drop the prop into Caddo Lake, I can assure you NONE of us will be going over the side and fighting the gators, gars, and snakes for it.
Are replacement props still available for a 1956 Evinrude?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:00:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Hannah, please take seriously the suggestions to get a newer motor. The plus side is that there are some [s]lunatics[/s] collectors who will pay pretty well for vintage outboards if they are in good running condition. That should get you pretty close to the price of a new outboard.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:06:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Could tell me how not to catch them by any chance?

[url]http://www.earthwave.org/gars/treegar.jpg[/url]

[url]http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/adv/nphoto/images/wildlife/gar.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Maybe I'm just a big wimp, but anything with teeth & that can grow to that size ain't getting on the boat with me.....unless it catches some lead.  My dad & his cousin used to hunt gar in Arkansas off a bridge using a spotlight & .22.  When he was about 9 a commercial fisherman managed to net a 7'+ 230   # gar on the White River, near Des Arc, AR.  He wacked it in the head with his axe that was handy, left it on the bank, went home & came back with his 12gauge.  Grandfather carried a picture of this fish (much like the first pic) in his wallet for many years as a momento of being there when the guy had it weighed afterwards.  Yep, no way in hell something that big & mean is getting in the boat with me (or me in the water either)

Nice catch on the boat HR (especailly with motor & trailer included), like others said the old outboard might have enuff collector value to pay for the boat if you decide to modernize.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:07:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Props shouldn't be that much of a problem,  lots of little backwoods outboard shops in that part of the state.  (Heck even around here)

If reliability is a big concern just pick up a small outboard kicker,  a 3 hp would be pretty cheap used and would get you home, just a lot slower.  

I've come home on the kicker motor a number of times.

I bought an Evinrude 3.3 hp on the way home from one fishing trip, pulling the boat 4 miles down the intracoastal at 2 in the morning in Febuary was NOT fun!

I've never been able to figure out how to push start a boat.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:13:12 AM EDT
[#43]
I would need some numbers from the prop. What size is the motor, year, diameter and pitch of the prop. When you get a chance look at the prop and the #s should be on the top or the side of it. The optimum prop would be WOT [wide open throttle] and the max rpms the manufacture recommends BUT it is a older motor so we may not want to pursue that. I am pretty sure I could find something to fit the #'s will help. Does the boat have a tach? If not I would suggest one they arent that much and will help keep an eye on the engine. DO carry extra shear pins nuts and thrust washers,and  a spare prop if we can find one.[I know we can]
[:)]
[:)] The shear pins wont help if you spin the hub.[rubber bushing]
[:)]
Let me know and I will look Tuesday I may even have something at the shop. PG
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:50:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Thanks, I will get some #s on Monday for it, Propguy.
Cduarte, thanks, I would love to find a newer more reliable motor, but if all else fails, we will still have the 2 electric trolling motors, and some paddles to try to get home on. At the moment, replacing it may not be an option. I will look into perhaps peddling it to a collector though.
Having been rebuilt, I hope it works for a while anyway.
Trying to picture ID the motor, so far it looks like the 1956 30 hp Bigtwin Evinrude.
I will have the boat here on Monday, and will be able to get better specifics.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:58:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Hannah,  very important question.  Do you have good title to the boat and motor?  You'll need it for registration, and with some really old boats it can be a problem.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:02:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Yes, good clear title, and currently registered.
Good point, John, it was something I asked about right away, having built street rods before.
Title problems can be a serious PITA.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:06:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:33:23 AM EDT
[#48]
I checked, and the serial number for the motor is 25916-10140, which makes it a Evinrude 25HP Motor of 1954 vintage.
Any idea what the proper gas/oil mixture would be for it?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Somehow I think that this would be more your speed:

[url]http://www.battleship.org/images/bb62oa.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Sorry, I already own that one.  I keep it in my back yard:
[img]groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SQDdAr0VKRSpbUUlZyLiz64claRJkLVmOiukRBmcCWuKh6IVsI8H2FUGTUU*kdymmxplQvdJfOQCHIrMwJPV7sokAb82Hd4cLZ5r4ZWaXOblNgOgxzN3Sw/IMG_0036.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 1:11:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I checked, and the serial number for the motor is 25916-10140, which makes it a Evinrude 25HP Motor of 1954 vintage.
Any idea what the proper gas/oil mixture would be for it?
View Quote

I did some research on www.deja.com and searched the rec.boats newsgroup using the keywords gas oil mixture. From what I read there, I would go with 16:1 to be safe. Yes it'll smoke a lot and foul plugs, but you risk blowing the motor up if you go to a leaner ratio.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top