Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2003 5:06:27 AM EDT
My wife's sister called yesterday with bad news.  Their 4 year old Cocker, Bailey, drowned in their pool after ingesting a shit-load of chocolate.  

Apparently, she got into a kitchen cabinet and downed about a pound of baker's-chocolate while the kids were at home alone with her.  Bailey scratched to go outside, so they let her out in the fenced-in backyard.  When my sister-in-law got home they couldn't find her, but she was later discovered underneath the solar cover on their pool.  [:(]

The one thing the kids could tell us is that the dog exhibited strange behavior prior to going outside.  Can anyone explain the physiological affects that chocolate has on dogs?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:14:59 AM EDT
[#1]
My gf (Who is a dog-person) tells me that if a dog ingests chocolate, it will die. I don't have the heart to tell her that her dog ate a HUGE hershey kiss at christmas, with no side effects other than a sugar-high...

Sorry, no data. I doubt chocolate makes dogs chemically want to climb under pool covers...
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:18:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My gf (Who is a dog-person) tells me that if a dog ingests chocolate, it will die. I don't have the heart to tell her that her dog ate a HUGE hershey kiss at christmas, with no side effects other than a sugar-high...

Sorry, no data. I doubt chocolate makes dogs chemically want to climb under pool covers...
View Quote
Its bakers chocolate that will harm a dog, candies will not harm them unless they eat a HUGE amount, which would probably make them puke first.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:22:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote
Its bakers chocolate that will harm a dog, candies will not harm them unless they eat a HUGE amount, which would probably make them puke first.
View Quote

But why chocolate?  Bakers or otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:23:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Dear Yahoo!:
Why is chocolate poisonous to dogs but not to humans?
John
Chicago, Illinois

Dear John:
We started with a Yahoo! search by typing in the three key words -- dog, chocolate, and poison. After scanning the results, we clicked on an article titled, "Household Items That Can Poison Dogs."
The article explains that chocolate contains theobromine, an alkaloid that dogs can't metabolize quickly. If a dog ingests a large amount of chocolate, the theobromine can build up and reach a toxic level of concentration, leading to cardiac arrest. Different types of chocolate are more harmful than others, and the effects will vary, depending upon the size and weight of the dog. However, it is potentially lethal.

If you know your dog has ingested chocolate (signs of chocolate poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, excessive urination, a quick heart rate, and rapid breathing) take him to a vet immediately.

The rest of the article reviews some of the other household items that can cause harm to your fuzzy friend. For instance, did you know common plants such as azaleas, rhododendron, and foxglove can all cause heart failure if ingested?

Some other articles dog owners should check out include "Common Household Items Hazardous to Your Dog " from Pet Warehouse, and "Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs," by veterinarian Kevin Fitzgerald.

But why isn't theobromine poisonous to humans? To answer that question, we tried a Yahoo! search on "theobromine," which led us to an article from About.com. There, we learned that humans can break down and excrete theobromine much more efficiently than dogs, rendering it effectively harmless.

Just remember: Chocolate's a tasty treat for humans, but it can be fatal to our four-legged friends

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:30:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote
View Quote

But why chocolate?  Bakers or otherwise.
View Quote
Bakers chocolate has a chemical in it that bakes out of it during the heating process of making candy , the chemical in bakers chocolate is stong enough to harm a dog, forget what the heck the chemical is. EDIT//// the chemical is "theobromine', it effects the cardiovascular system and the nervous system of  canines, you will hear all kinds of bull about chocolate candy harming dogs it is just simply untrue, it has to be bakers chocolate. I have given huinting dogs candy bars in the field for quick energy with absolutly no ill effects.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:38:22 AM EDT
[#6]
The deal's this: chocolade will also kill a human when eaten in sufficient amounts, only we have a reflex to gag on it when a certain level is reached, which dogs don't have. They'd eat all they could find and pretty much OD on the drugs contained in chocolade.
And speaking of which, how come American chocolade tastes like wet sawdust rolled in shit, whereas Swiss, Belgian and German chocolade cause a "high" similar to cannabis, except for the whooping and coughing?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:00:38 AM EDT
[#7]

And speaking of which, how come American chocolade tastes like wet sawdust rolled in shit, whereas Swiss, Belgian and German chocolade cause a "high" similar to cannabis, except for the whooping and coughing?
View Quote

Now all we need to do is find out how to make chocolate cannabis! [smoke] [thinking] [party]

Later,
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:06:03 AM EDT
[#8]
chocolate is toxic to dogs, its is not a sugar high.  ask any vet                              
 same thing with birds.  have a neighbor  with a loud parrot  don't give him chocolate,  might kill him
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:37:41 AM EDT
[#9]
The amount of chocolate needed to harm a dog varies with the size of the dog. A few ounces for a small dog and over a pound for large dogs.

you will hear all kinds of bull about chocolate candy harming dogs it is just simply untrue, it has to be bakers chocolate
View Quote

[b]That is just flat wrong[/b] any type of chocolate can harm/kill a dog. Bakers chocolate is more dangerous because it is more concentrated/stronger than milk chocolate. A dog would have to eat about twice as much milk chocolate as baker chocolate to get the same effect but both will kill.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:43:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Now all we need to do is find out how to make chocolate cannabis! [smoke] [thinking] [party]

Later,
View Quote

[Homer]Mmmmmmmmmmm, Hash Brownies{/Homer]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:49:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:50:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The amount of chocolate needed to harm a dog varies with the size of the dog. A few ounces for a small dog and over a pound for large dogs.

you will hear all kinds of bull about chocolate candy harming dogs it is just simply untrue, it has to be bakers chocolate
View Quote

[b]That is just flat wrong[/b] any type of chocolate can harm/kill a dog. Bakers chocolate is more dangerous because it is more concentrated/stronger than milk chocolate. A dog would have to eat about twice as much milk chocolate as baker chocolate to get the same effect but both will kill.
View Quote
If you think so, I have had Vets even differ on that opinion of yours, all I can say is what I know from experience, and I have and will give my dogs candy bars they enjoy it as much as we do. I guess the key word here is [b] Moderation[/b] And if you really think a 1 oz. of hersey kisses will kill even a small dog I sure won't try to change your mind.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:23:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I said...

A few ounces for a small dog
View Quote

not 1 oz.

You apparently are so stupid you cannot comprehend a simple sentence.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:34:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:45:46 AM EDT
[#15]
[img]http://206.105.185.18/ar15/killdog.gif[/img]
I made a chart in case anyone cares, I would assume its just easier for most people to not poison their dogs at all, than to regulate it. The min represents the minimum weight in ounces of a particular chocolate it may take to kill a dog of the specific weight, and the max represents the maximum weight in ounces that would probably kill any dog of that weight. And it's not like reloading, so don't load your dog 10% under max and go from there. [:|]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:19:39 AM EDT
[#16]
The high levels of phenylalanine in chocolate are toxic to dogs.

Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:38:17 AM EDT
[#17]
I have an 8.5lb poodle that gets chocolate. Never straight chocolate, but chocolate cake, chocolate chip cookies, stuff like that. She has never had any ill effects. I have heard that chocolate causes severe dehydration in large amounts. Maybe it went to the pool to quench its thirst and fell in and got trapped.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:39:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Sorry to hear about your dog.

My 9lb. Mini-dauchshound ate a little over a pound of hershey's kisses one day. No ill effects.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:44:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Back about a dozen years ago I took my dog, a Brittnay, hiking in the mountians near wear I live. I brought along some dehydrated food and had planned to make it to a place called "Sunset Point" overlooking the Hudson River to setup camp for the night but took longer to get there than I planned so I pitched my tent and went looking for the stream I saw on the map as I was alomst out of the water needed to make dinner. As it was late I didn't have much time to search and as it happens the stream shown on the map was dry.

So I did not have enough water for dinner. In my pack a had a pound bag of M&M's and me and my dog proceeded to eat about half of it before going to bed.

From that moment on if I so much as touched an M&M my dog would begin to drool! She LOVED them!

It's more than two years since I had to put her down and it still hurts!

Later,
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The deal's this: chocolade will also kill a human when eaten in sufficient amounts, only we have a reflex to gag on it when a certain level is reached, which dogs don't have. They'd eat all they could find and pretty much OD on the drugs contained in chocolade.
View Quote

Chocolate produces andamanides in the brain (endogenous cannabinoids - natural cannabinoids) that are also produced by using marijuana.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 11:44:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Back about a dozen years ago I took my dog, a Brittnay, hiking in the mountians near wear I live. I brought along some dehydrated food and had planned to make it to a place called "Sunset Point" overlooking the Hudson River to setup camp for the night but took longer to get there than I planned so I pitched my tent and went looking for the stream I saw on the map as I was alomst out of the water needed to make dinner. As it was late I didn't have much time to search and as it happens the stream shown on the map was dry.

So I did not have enough water for dinner. In my pack a had a pound bag of M&M's and me and my dog proceeded to eat about half of it before going to bed.

From that moment on if I so much as touched an M&M my dog would begin to drool! She LOVED them!

It's more than two years since I had to put her down and it still hurts!

Later,
View Quote
Dogs eating chocolate and not dying, hmmmmm, seems it is not such  a poison after all. But then it may just be a hallucination I am having due to my [b]psychiatric disorder[/b] A shot of whiskey will not kill you, drink a bottle and it may, this is how I perceive chocolate and dogs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top