Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 6/10/2016 10:33:34 PM EDT
Steve DelBianco flew out to California two months ago to check on how his son was doing in basic Navy SEAL training. He left a couple of days later, feeling reassured.

Danny DelBianco, who had spent years preparing for this moment, seemed to be acing one of the world's most grueling mental and physical endurance tests.

He had completed the obstacle course and other physical elements on his first try, "so he was ready to go" for Hell Week, the arduous culmination of the first phase of SEAL training, DelBianco told NBC News. "He was excited and very confident."

That was the last time he would see his son alive. After 50 hours without sleep and a punishing series of drills, Danny DelBianco, who'd played rugby at the University of Southern California, couldn't take any more. Like most of the young men who attempt it, he rang a ceremonial bell and dropped out of the punishing SEAL training course. He placed his green helmet in a line next to the ones worn by other drop-outs, and walked toward the barracks.

A few hours later, on April 5, he walked off a ledge on the 22nd floor of a Marriott hotel in San Diego. He was 23 years old.

"Heartbroken" is the only word Steve DelBianco can muster publicly to describe his family's pain.
View Quote

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dad-demands-change-in-seal-training-after-sons-death/ar-AAgTK2p?li=BBnb7Kz
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:35:07 PM EDT
[#1]
That's awful
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:35:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Tragic....but no.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:36:29 PM EDT
[#3]
First I've heard of anyone doing that.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:36:52 PM EDT
[#4]
It's awful that his son committed suicide, and I don't doubt that the stress of training was likely a large factor.

but the training has to be that hard, and I don't see any way around it if you want to be a truly elite unit.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Reading the title, I had assumed he died during training.  Hurt feelings/depression/disappointment because of failure is no reason to lower standards.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:38:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Steve DelBianco flew out to California two months ago to check on how his son was doing in basic Navy SEAL training. He left a couple of days later, feeling reassured.

Danny DelBianco, who had spent years preparing for this moment, seemed to be acing one of the world's most grueling mental and physical endurance tests.

He had completed the obstacle course and other physical elements on his first try, "so he was ready to go" for Hell Week, the arduous culmination of the first phase of SEAL training, DelBianco told NBC News. "He was excited and very confident."

That was the last time he would see his son alive. After 50 hours without sleep and a punishing series of drills, Danny DelBianco, who'd played rugby at the University of Southern California, couldn't take any more. Like most of the young men who attempt it, he rang a ceremonial bell and dropped out of the punishing SEAL training course. He placed his green helmet in a line next to the ones worn by other drop-outs, and walked toward the barracks.

A few hours later, on April 5, he walked off a ledge on the 22nd floor of a Marriott hotel in San Diego. He was 23 years old.

"Heartbroken" is the only word Steve DelBianco can muster publicly to describe his family's pain.
View Quote

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dad-demands-change-in-seal-training-after-sons-death/ar-AAgTK2p?li=BBnb7Kz
View Quote
It is sad, but he chose to quit and kill himself.

This was not the Navy's fault IMO, the 24 hour cool down makes sense.

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:39:24 PM EDT
[#7]
He felt bullied by the instructors.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:40:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Wheres the member here who's brother has been cycled through two or three times because of a medical issue?  He posted about it a few weeks back if anyone remembers.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:40:16 PM EDT
[#9]
You son couldn't hack it.

Many others could.

No.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I can't imagine what it is like to lose a child (at any age).

I am sure it is devastating!

However... placing the blame of a suicide on someone/something else... is being in denial as to the facts of depression!
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:41:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Reading the title, I had assumed he died during training.  Hurt feelings/depression/disappointment because of failure is no reason to lower standards.
View Quote

Same.  What this guy did was a permanent solution to a temporary problem.  You want it that bad?  Go home, lift, and get right back to it.  

Just because your son killed himself because he quit, doesn't mean you get to change the standards for the armed forces.

Don't like it, become president or secretary of state, then fuck up the infantry standards by letting chicks in

Sucks that he killed himself.  But don't blame harsh training standards.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:42:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry for your loss.  Your kid couldn't hack the training and failed the test.  

The fact that he committed suicide after failing kind of points to a weakness that didn't help him pass which is the whole point of the brutal training (cull the weak).
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:42:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:43:09 PM EDT
[#14]
So after dad visits, SEAL in training commits suicide?

Daddy blame's uncle government.

Make's since.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:43:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:44:05 PM EDT
[#16]
They shouldnt change the training, but maybe they could have the guys checked out by docs on their way out of the program.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:44:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm not seeing where the training did anything wrong.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:45:26 PM EDT
[#18]
alcohol?
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Tragic....but no.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:46:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:46:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Lets see:
Rugby Player Jock
Super motivated
Emphasis on physical readiness
Spend years getting ready
Helicopter Dad.

Sadly he fit the profile of the ones that are most likely to wash out.  It's the normal looking, quiet ones that excel in SEAL training.

TYCOM
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:47:31 PM EDT
[#22]
His Dad went out to see how he was doing at basic?  Really?

ETA  Sorry for his loss.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:48:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#24]

It seems to me that the weeding out process did exactly what it was supposed to do, seeing that he chose stepping off of a 22nd floor balcony as a solution to his failure.

Do I feel for him and his family? Absolutely. It saddens me greatly that a young man couldn't see a light at the end of his tunnel. On the other hand, it appears that he wasn't mentally tough enough to finish the job, proved that in training, and then proved it again as the last decision of his tragic life.

The father of the young man needs to find another outlet for his grief, instead of trying to bring down a much-needed institution.

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:48:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I never thought BUDS was a physical game, it's all mental.

I'm weak, and I know it. He was weak too, but couldn't handle it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:50:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Lets see:
Rugby Player Jock
Super motivated
Helicopter Dad.

Sadly he fit the profile of the ones that are most likely to wash out.  It's the normal looking, quiet ones that excel in SEAL training.

TYCOM
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:51:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Lets see:
Rugby Player Jock
Super motivated
Helicopter Dad.

TYCOM
View Quote

Hate to sound like a dick, but with a super involved helo dad, I wonder if this is the first thing this guy failed at that his parents couldn't protect him from.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:51:30 PM EDT
[#28]
can you guys not fucking read?

they want to change what they do with the guys who drop out, not make changes to the seal training itself

they want the dropouts to be watched for a day in case they are so wrung out and exhausted that they so something crazy

If that young guy had somebody with him for the day after he dropped, he probably would have got some rest and got his bearings

the guy was apparently practically in a cataleptic state of despair and exhaustion

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:52:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

+1

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

http://www.readingbear.org/
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:54:51 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:55:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Better to find out he can't hack it now and what his response to failure is than lose a team due to his inability to man up when the chips are down.  Sucks for dad, but don't blame the training.  Something was badly lacking in the man.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:55:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It's awful that his son committed suicide, and I don't doubt that the stress of training was likely a large factor.

but the training has to be that hard, and I don't see any way around it if you want to be a truly elite unit.
View Quote

It isn't the harshness of the training, but rather changing how those who fail are handled. You didn't read for comprehension.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:55:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:56:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It isn't the harshness of the training, but rather changing how those who fail are handled. You didn't read for comprehension.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

kudos

you're the only other guy in the thread that actually read the article or has a clue

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:57:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Suicide ...
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:57:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You son couldn't hack it.

Many others could.

No.
View Quote

I saw your Avatar.  There was a thread about how Seals had a very hard time completing Ranger School
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:58:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:58:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Should have stayed at the Hyatt

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:59:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Title of article is misleading.

Nowhere does it mention wanting to change training.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:00:08 PM EDT
[#40]
I didn't know they had Parent's Weekend at seal school.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:01:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

they want to change what they do with the guys who drop out, not make changes to the seal training itself

they want the dropouts to be watched for a day in case they are so wrung out and exhausted that they so something crazy

If that young guy had somebody with him for the day after he dropped, he probably would have got some rest and got his bearings

the guy was apparently practically in a cataleptic state of despair and exhaustion

View Quote

Pussy.

I bet his dad gave him shit for not dropping out. To the point of suicide.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:02:27 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote
Whoops. I'm guilty. I didn't bother to read the article.

I'll put my torch and pitchfork away now.

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:02:31 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:03:13 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm not seeing anything in the article about changing the training. Some of you guys are being pretty cold bastards. They changes the dad is looking for and it looks like the Navy is going with, is a set cooling off period and monitoring for those that drop out. Frankly it really does make sense. They are taking these guys and ramping them up to the breaking point. They deserve and have certainly earned a controlled path back to normal.  

Frankly the Navy does the same thing with people that drop out of the Nuke program. One day they are busting their ass in class with the same people they have been working with for months, and the next they have you cleaning toilets in the same buildings while those friends walk by. It's pretty fucked up. It's a prime situation for people to have a mental break. There is no reason that we can't be smarter about how we manage our sailors and soldiers when they come out of stressful situations.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:03:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Didn't read
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:03:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree.  There should be a 24-48 hour med hold on dropouts for evaluation.  Dropouts during hell week are under tons of stress and sleep depravation.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:04:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

This makes sense
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:06:02 PM EDT
[#48]
I don't see how this is the navy's fault.

Maybe having the guys who are washing out talk to a psychiatrist would be a good thing. Also moving them to SD and back to the fleet after a week to decompress would be a good thing.

It's still tragic.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:07:15 PM EDT
[#49]
There have been countless people who have rung out, and didn't kill themselves.  While I feel for the father, don't blame the Navy.  They make it debilitatingly hard for a reason.

ETA:  That he wanted a change to monitor the people to ring out for 24 hours, is actually a good idea.  Guess I should read before posting.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:12:03 PM EDT
[#50]
It was his choice to ring the bell, they didn't make him.

It was his choice to end his life, they didn't make him.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top