Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2003 4:59:09 PM EDT
Is Delta Force better in combat than SEALS? Don't tell me that Delta doesn't exist either!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:10:11 PM EDT
[#1]
depends on who's wearing the MARPAT
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is Delta Force better in combat than SEALS? Don't tell me that Delta doesn't exist either!!
View Quote

Just go up and ask one of them.  I'm sure you'll get an impartial answer.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:13:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Delta Airlines?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#4]
The Coast Guard can whip both their asses.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:25:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Delta has much nicer hair, therefore they must be the best.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:31:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

It probably depends the most on the men, not the "group".
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:38:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:42:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

The info is in this address

[url]http://www.delta.com/inside/index.jsp[/url]

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Differant missions.

SEALS are organized, trained, and equipped to conduct special operations, clandestine maritime and riverine operations, foreign internal defense, and unconventional warfare.

Delta Force is organized for the conduct of missions requiring rapid response with surgical applications of a wide variety of unique skills,while maintaining the lowest possible profile of U.S. involvement (killing and kidnapping terrorists).

So who is better at combat? Ask anyone who has encountered both in combat and they can give you a better critique than I, but I doubt if you can find any survivors of one encounter, let alone someone who has survived two.

Why do you ask? Are you thinking of a career path into the special operations community? If that is your intent I would suggest targeting Delta because there are more avenues to get into Delta and only one for the SEALS. You definately have to have your head and ass wired together to get into either.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:10:17 PM EDT
[#10]
as gay as this question is...ill give it a fair shot based on my limited personal experience.

its all about mission and budget. the SEALS ive been around were all absolute PT gods some of the most highly conditioned athletes ive ever met. but i thought most of them were pretty sorry marksman and kind of sloppy in the field. but they have a HUGE budget and endless resources and that goes a long way.

i attended a school with some Delta soldiers and i can tell you that delta sodiers wrote the book on CQB and were amazing to watch on the range. really impressive teamwork and mastery of their weapons.

personally i dont think you can compare the 2. and i think any efforts to determine who is best are foolish and short sighted. its apples to oranges.

its not just about Delta or Seals either. any of our nations special operations forces can be used almost interchangably. it comes down to mission, environment, ethos.

just my .02 from a casual observer
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:17:52 PM EDT
[#11]
[img]http://www.lamer.net/smartchart.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.lamer.net/smartchart.jpg[/url]
View Quote

That made me piss myself, thanks...I think?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Harharhar!

Was that quick jump at lunch just after naptime?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#14]
[LOLabove][LOL][LOLabove][LOL][LOLabove][LOL][LOLabove][LOL][LOLabove][LOL][LOLabove][LOL][LOLabove][LOL]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#15]
My nomination for the "Post of the Year" award- hell, the "Post of the Last TWO Years" award!

Quoted:
View Quote

[img]http://www.lamer.net/smartchart.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

The info is in this address

[url]http://www.delta.com/inside/index.jsp[/url]

View Quote

I was waiting for that!  

DrMark
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:51:24 PM EDT
[#17]
WELL I'S RECKON IF YOU'S BE THINKIN I BE SO DUM, THEN I'LL BE DUM. I DANNO IF IT BE BECAUSE I'S ONLY 15, OR WAIT, HOW OLDS IS I???? WELL ANYHOO, YA'LL BIG FANCY CITY FOLK JUST GO'S AHEAD AND MAKE FUNS OF US HICKS. WAIT, ISNT WRITIN IN CAPS BAD OR SUMPTIN?? AH WELL, I'S SO MUCH STUPEDER THAN YA'LL, IT DONT MATTER NONE NOW DOES IT???
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Differant missions.

SEALS are organized, trained, and equipped to conduct special operations, clandestine maritime and riverine operations, foreign internal defense, and unconventional warfare.

Delta Force is organized for the conduct of missions requiring rapid response with surgical applications of a wide variety of unique skills,while maintaining the lowest possible profile of U.S. involvement (killing and kidnapping terrorists).
View Quote

Very good answer. With the exception of ST6, you could say SEALs are more comfortable with counter-terrorist work, while some elements of SFOD-Delta and ST6 practice [i]anti[/i]-terrorism.

Also, there's a presumption that SEALs are hard charging testosterone pumping Tyrannasauri, while Delta operators tend to be more cerebral.

As to how good in [i]battle[/i] they are, I'd have to say "it depends". Unless you're at their level of training in CQB, HTH, and dynamic tactical ops, it would be hard for a "regular joe" to perceive the subtle differences that would qualify one or the other as "better".

Maybe some Iraqis, Sudanese, Syrians, or Saudis could weigh in here based on personal experience this past year... oh, wait, there probably ain't too many left to tell some tales. [}:D]

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:45:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My nomination for the "Post of the Year" award- hell, the "Post of the Last TWO Years" award!

Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

It would be a tie with;

"depends on who's wearing the MARPAT",

both of them made me 'bout choke to death on my drink.  Damn fine work boys.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#20]
damn, i just about woke my roomate up
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:00:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
WELL I'S RECKON IF YOU'S BE THINKIN I BE SO DUM, THEN I'LL BE DUM. I DANNO IF IT BE BECAUSE I'S ONLY 15, OR WAIT, HOW OLDS IS I???? WELL ANYHOO, YA'LL BIG FANCY CITY FOLK JUST GO'S AHEAD AND MAKE FUNS OF US HICKS. WAIT, ISNT WRITIN IN CAPS BAD OR SUMPTIN?? AH WELL, I'S SO MUCH STUPEDER THAN YA'LL, IT DONT MATTER NONE NOW DOES IT???
View Quote

You are new here and probably new to the internet so I will say this gently.  To the left side is a key marked "Caps Lock".  Please use it as all caps is considered yelling in the internet world.

Thank you

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:17:39 PM EDT
[#22]
My old Force recon buddy told me that Delta has deep pockets and have an edge.  I asked him about SEAL vs. Force and he said they are about the same.

He didnt go into much but did say that Delta gets paid well, have the best equipment and training is like no other.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:17:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I dont know about combat,but SFOD-D does cloak and dagger stuff too, SEALs are more Unconventioanl Warfare oriented.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:54:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Everybody knows that the nearest Marine would beat the shit out of either if they were to be foolish enough to don the revered Marpat!
View Quote

hahaha, im going to deck out a firehydrant in marpat and let them go at it
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:56:45 PM EDT
[#26]
As with almost everything in life the reality will be a lot less impressive than the hype.
This is a good laugh.
------------
Two senior members of the elite Special Boat Service have been thrown out of the Regiment and 58 others face dismissal after they abandoned military equipment in Iraq and ran away from enemy troops.

The SAS major in charge of the operation and a Royal Marine SBS squadron leader have already been dismissed from their posts and returned to their original units.

The rest of the troops now face a Royal Navy Board of Inquiry.

Last week two of the SBS men - a captain and a sergeant - were hailed for their courage after allegedly making a tortuous trek on foot across the desert to the border with Syria. But but today The Mail On Sunday can reveal the true story of what happened.

For from being heroes, the two are at the centre of humiliating series of blunders which has heaped embarrassment on the elite regiment and led to a top-level inquiry into the whereabouts of several customised Special Forces Land Rovers, abandoned as the troops fled amid fears that they could have ended up in the hands of terrorists.

The incident occurred two weeks into the war after the SBS troops had already spent ten days in the desert on a mission to find and destroy Iraqi military equipment and hunt for weapons of mass destruction.

But face with a surprised attack by the Iraqi Republican Guard, they opted to flee rather than fight, leaving behind 12 vehicles, including the Land Rovers, which carried a range of weapons, including top of the range anti-tank Milan anti-tank missiles, general-purpose machine guns - known a 'gimpys' - heavy machine guns and M40 grenade launchers.

They also abandoned quad bikes, personal weapons, secret radios, laser target designators and sophisticated American communications equipment worth hundreds of thousands of pounds which were spirited away by the Iraqis.

To leave even a trace of military presence on the ground breaks one of the first rules of Special Forces. To flee - leaving such eqipment for Saddam Hussien's men to exhibit triumphantly to the world - after making no attempt to defend their position, is shocking, military experts said last night.

And they describe the actions of the SBS captain and sergeant how jumped on a quad bike belonging to other troops and sped off to the Syrian border as 'shameful'.

Despite their name, the Special Boat Service served on land, from helicopters, as well as at sea in the Iraqi war.

They were a key element of the Special Forces working on covert operations alongside the SAS and US Delta Force troops behind enemy lines.

Marine Squadron, one of two SBS units, had spent ten days in the desert in a column of Land Rovers, quad bikes and Honda 400 motor-cross bikes and were growing increasingly frustrated that they had seen no Iraqi vehicles and Scud launchers, or found any weapons of mass destruction. Nor had there been any sign of the enemy.

Their food and water supplies were running low - forcing them to stop and set up camp, while they waited for a resupply convoy.

They should have chosen a position which could be easily defended, provided cover from enemy fire and offered two vehicles escape routes. But to assist the resupply team, and choose a central position, they selected a site in a wadi, a dried-out river bed, in a valley, that met none of the key criteria.

And they were being watched by a reconnaissance patrol of Saddam Hussien's ultra-loyal Republican Guard, who called in reinforcements.

Even so, had the SBS troops followed standard operating procedures, they would have been able to defend themselves against what came next.

They should have had at least ten sentries, working in groups of two, to ring fence the camp and provided early warning of attack. But only single sentries were posted, and they carried only pistols.

When the Iraqi reinforcements arrived - a convoy of civilians and military vehicles which bought their strength up to 100, almost double the number of SBS troops - the British unit was caught hopelessly unprepared.

The first sign of an attack came in late afternoon, when the stillness of the desert was shattered by the sound of revving engines.

"Who the hell is that?" said one SBS solider, peering through the fading light. "Tell me it's the Americans," said another in desperation.

A hail of gunfire from AK47's bought the answer; it was the enemy, and the SBS troops were in deep trouble. Hours earlier they had stripped the Land Rovers of remaining kit in readiness for the resupply vehicles. Many solders were sleeping and were not even near enough to their weapons to attempt to fight back.

"Contact front! Contact front!" screamed one soldier as Iraqi vehicles spread across the horizon coming towards them. At the same time enemy troops were rushing forward to close in on his position.

Then the cry went up: "Bug our of the LUP (lying-up position), now!"

All the mean would have practised responding to surprise ambush countless times. Yet they were not remotely ready to return fire. Indeed all they seemed to think of was escape.

Each man scrambled desperately to get out and make it to the emergency RV - about 5km west of their camp - where they would be met by RAF CH-47 Chinook helicopter which would transport them back to base in Kuwait.

Amid the commotion the SBS captain and sergeant spotted an unattended quad bike - it wasn't theirs but they jumped on and sped off, leaving their troops to fend for themselves. They were the lucky ones. There were not enough vehicles to remove all the SBS personnel. Some ran away while others clambered on to the back of overcrowded Land Rovers.

Unluckiest of all were the two men who had owned the quad bikes. They were left running around to find a means of escape, only to find their own vehicles had been stolen.

The first troops to arrive at the emergency RV used their TACBE radios - equipped with GPS navigational systems - to alert the RAF to what had happened and call for back-up air assistance.

Within hours all but two had arrived safely. But the helicopters waited in vain for the pair on the quad bikes. Finally they were officially declared Missing in Action.

The SBS radioed to base in Kuwait that their position had been compromised - confessing at the same time that top-secret kit and weaponry had been left on the ground.

But the unenviable job of informing the US commanders what had happened was left to a senior Special Force commanded. Predictably, the Americans were furious.

Meanwhile satellite images on the SBS's former camp position revealed the Republican Guard were now based there. They were now vulnerable to US air attack, but the mission could not be carried out for nearly 12 hours.

Just before dawn a single A-10 tank buster plane, one of the most lethal aircraft in the US Air Force's armoury, came over the horizon and, riddling all the abandoned SBS vehicles with bullets and automatic cannon fire and surprising the celebrating Iraqis.

The Americans were livid that they had had to destroy such valuable equipment to stop it being used by enemy troops. But the SBS had left them no option.

After the raid Delta Force troops - the US equivalent of the SAS - were dropped by helicopter to search the wreckage at the scene, resulting in a three-hour fire fight and killed all remaining enemy forces.

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:08:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Assholes. I expect better from the SBS.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:13:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
[lol]
oh man, that had me cracking up pretty good.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 12:38:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Delta was better in the 80's because of Chuck Norris and all.  The Green Berets were also really good due to Rambo.  In the 90s the SEALs were the best because of Charlie Sheen.[:)]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 1:11:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is possibly the funniest thing Ive ever seen on ar15.com
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 1:12:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

[b]IBTL[/b]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:52:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Do you remember "Fluffy" the cat that needed the luekemia treatment? His owner was trying to sell a scope to pay for the treatment. Come to find out he didn't have a cat at all. That thread went forever and turns it took were as crooked as a snake.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:21:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think , that after waco, everyone knows they exist.....
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:16:16 AM EDT
[#34]
a friend of mine who retired out of the seals didnt raise one above the other;however,he did say that they had to go in and extract(save)delta guys that got into some hairy shit....more than once
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:26:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

And after BlackHawk Down.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:47:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
a friend of mine who retired out of the seals didnt raise one above the other;however,he did say that they had to go in and extract(save)delta guys that got into some hairy shit....more than once
View Quote

And it's gone the other way too.  SEALs have had some COLOSSAL Fuck Ups over the years as well, including multiple misadventures in Grenada and Panama.

The long answer however, is that either unit is damned near unbeatable on their own terms, but if they lose the initiative and have to start playing by someone else's rules, they are disadvantaged by their light equipment and inability to support themselves for very long.

Both units depend on surprise and planning to keep their opponents off balance and wondering what the hell is happening.  But if they get surrounded by superior numbers, or pinned down, it's just a numbers game. Sooner or later the good guys will run out of ammo, or their casualties will mount to the point that they cannot hold back the enemy tide.

From an individual perspective, I wouldn't want either force angry at me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:49:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:54:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The Coast Guard can whip both their asses.
View Quote

What are they gonna do- surrround them with their boats????
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:40:36 AM EDT
[#39]
According to a few books I've read Delta comes looking for you.  They select you from your present skill and recommendations.  There is no volunteering for Delta.  The Seals, however, will accept volunteers.  This could be all bullshit though being as they don't exist.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:42:17 AM EDT
[#40]
I am by no means a professional, in-terms of righting skills, however, I also don't do it for a living. Who wrote that article?  My Lord, there were a lot of Grammatical errors.

Anyway, very interesting article, albeit disappointing. WTF were they thinking?!?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:37:21 AM EDT
[#41]
I think you should post this question over at socnet (specialoperations.com), I'm sure the boys over there wouldn't mind[:D]

Until I see that article about the SBS boys on the news or on the front page of a major newspaper I'm going to have to call

[BS2]

Those Brit SOF's aren't exactly pussies, so I want to know where the above article came from.

Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:21:31 AM EDT
[#42]
I still can't believe this dumbass topic as generated so much interest. My post from before applies to today too. I feel dumber having read this.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
According to a few books I've read Delta comes looking for you.  They select you from your present skill and recommendations.  There is no volunteering for Delta.  The Seals, however, will accept volunteers.  This could be all bullshit though being as they don't exist.
View Quote

That info is bad.  All members of Delta are volunteers, just as in the SEALs. Read the book "Inside Delta Force".  The author is one of the founding members of Delta and was a cadre member of the selection course for prospective Delta members.

[url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0385336039/qid=1053627075/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-0137887-7103919?v=glance&s=books&n=507846[/url]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:28:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:38:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Who's tougher, Batman or Spiderman?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top