called corporate and was given the run around for weeks. I finally
contacted Mark Phillips VP Ops and he said he would inquire. After a
month plus wait I finally spoke to him today. I'm paraphrasing his reply
here- "They felt that they are more of a bar at night and for safety
reason don't want guns in that environment"
I asked if their official position was "Concealed Carry Licensees were
drunks who would shoot up their place?" He said no but couldn't explain
what they did mean.
SO Taco Cabana doesn't want your business if you LEGALLY carry a gun.
They seem to be alright with criminals doing so however as they affirmed
that they don't read signs as they are criminals....
PLEASE email everyone you know that has a TC near them and call to
complain to their customer service at 1-800-580-8668
Actually even if you don't live here call and tell em'!!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:54:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't live in Texas, but I'd say screw 'em! Pack anyway!

Just don't get drunk and do something stupid! [BD]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:06:14 AM EDT
[#2]
It's probably because they serve rita's and beer.  I dont' carry ccw, so it doesn't affect me.  If I paid attention to everything that is "anti" gun in the United States, I'd freak out.  

I don't think you should let it bother you.

Edited to add:

I noticed you went to one in Austin.  Don't expect anywhere to be gun friendly in Austin with the exception of Red's gun range and a handful of other place.  Austin is not known for it's love of firearms.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:06:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Is their sign in accordance with state regulations regarding concealed handgun licensees?  If not, it's not enforceable.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:10:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm, first they came for the Poles but I didn't care because I wasn't
Polish, then they came for the Jews but I didn't care because....

Yes they serve booze, so?
You must also agree with TC that gun owners are all out of control drinkers who are irresponsible?

Guess what? I does affect you, you are the kind of gun owner who shouldn't complain when they come for your black rifles....
I'll shut up now before I get really ugly.
BT
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:10:44 AM EDT
[#5]
NO their sign is NOT LEGAL (in accordance w/ Texas stautes), and I've ignored it for years.... (at least in all the ones I been in).

Mike
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:12:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is their sign in accordance with state regulations regarding concealed handgun licensees?  If not, it's not enforceable.
View Quote

True it's not enforceable, but it's not about that, it's about helping the enemy with our dollars. ABout letting other non gun folks see signs and reinforcing the beleif we are bad and guns are bad.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:12:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm not presently in TX...but lived there last year.  It was my understanding that businesses HAD to post the "30.06" sign conspicously on the premises in English and Spanish.  The sign has fairly large dimensions as prescribed by law...the size of a small poster.

That is the ONLY method that weapons can be banned from a private establishment in TX.  The ONLY place I ever saw one was at Six Flags in San Antonio.  They had them up all over the entrance.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:15:18 AM EDT
[#8]
The whole idea of CCW is it cant be seen. Problem solved! Why would you let taco cabana tell you how and when you can protect yourself?

Do as you please, dont be an ass and respect others and you wont have a problem
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:15:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
NO their sign is NOT LEGAL (in accordance w/ Texas stautes), and I've ignored it for years.... (at least in all the ones I been in).

Mike
View Quote

Curious why you would give money to a business that doesn't want you and thinks you are a danger?
I don't wear Levis because they give money to ANTI gun groups.
Wouldn't be suprised if TC does also now.
BT
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:16:57 AM EDT
[#10]
If they are serious about it they'll post a proper 30.06 sign, otherwise it's just a bunch of bullshit.

They aren't posting a legal sign because almost any business that does that in Texas knows that they will have a decline in customers, and a PR backlash to deal with.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:32:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, although they serve beer, they are not a 51% business. I too have seen the handgun in a circle with a line thru it here in Dallas. I just walk right in and order my steak fajitas.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:38:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You must also agree with TC that gun owners are all out of control drinkers who are irresponsible?

Guess what? I does affect you, you are the kind of gun owner who shouldn't complain when they come for your black rifles....
BT
View Quote

Hey dude, kiss my ass.  

I'm simply trying to point out that since I don't carry a firearm on my body, it doesn't affect me, and IT DOESN'T.  If TC wants to put a sign up that says no carrying of firearms, then either leave or shut the fuck up and go in and eat.  Don't try to paint me as a the type who agrees with anti gunners or say little snide remarks like "You must agree with TC that all gun owners are all out of control dinkers who are irresponsible".  Go fuck yourself........
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:58:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Personally I think the food is not human friendly either. I have gone to the one in my town twice, & both times was sorely disappointed in the quality of the food. I don't like the big hunks of bone, & such in the food. I think the anti gun attitude is a second good reason to avoid them.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Hmmm, doesn't Texas state law forbid carrying in a place that serves alcholic beverages for consumption on premises?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:19:38 AM EDT
[#15]
As long as a business doesn't derive over 51% of their income through alcohol, you can pack.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

BT
View Quote

Hey dude, kiss my ass.  

I'm simply trying to point out that since I don't carry a firearm on my body, it doesn't affect me, and IT DOESN'T.  If TC wants to put a sign up that says no carrying of firearms, then either leave or shut the fuck up and go in and eat.  Don't try to paint me as a the type who agrees with anti gunners or say little snide remarks like "You must agree with TC that all gun owners are all out of control dinkers who are irresponsible".  Go fuck yourself........
View Quote

Every time a business posts signs that basically says "GUNS ARE BAD" the non gunners and middle of the roaders see it and absorb it.
It affects you as the American people don't care or think it's ok. Remember AWB of 1994? Those happened because most Americans weren't informed, didn't care or said "It doesn't affect me", how many other resctritions on guns since then? Hundreds...
Sorry to have pissed you off but I feel if you like owning guns you must get involved and stop the tide at some point.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:05:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BT
View Quote

Hey dude, kiss my ass.  

View Quote

Every time a business posts signs that basically says "GUNS ARE BAD" the non gunners and middle of the roaders see it and absorb it.
It affects you as the American people don't care or think it's ok. Remember AWB of 1994? Those happened because most Americans weren't informed, didn't care or said "It doesn't affect me", how many other resctritions on guns since then? Hundreds...
Sorry to have pissed you off but I feel if you like owning guns you must get involved and stop the tide at some point.
View Quote

Don't forget the AWB of 1934!  

It's worth arguing, but be civil.  Geez....we're killing ourselves...[banghead]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BT
View Quote

Hey dude, kiss my ass.  

View Quote

View Quote

I am involved.  I write letters to my Senators and Congressman.  I try to help people understand how crazy the AWB is.  I am a member of the NRA (big deal) and I vote pro gun.  But if you ask me if I give a shit about whether or not TACO CABANA will let a CCW into their establishment, I can tell you it falls way down the list of my gun owning priorities.  

You seem to care alot about this topic, so quite wasting your time trying to change some company's internal policies and focus on what you have a say in........US Gun Laws.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:35:55 PM EDT
[#19]
i never ate there anyway.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Gang up on me if you will, but...I see their point.

Think about it; inhibitions are let down, perceptions are altered, etc. Speaking as a drinker, I can say this for a fact [:)]

Some normal nice folk turn into MEAN drunks. Some turn into happy drunks. Others just turn into...drunks.

As a business (and for plain old common sense purposes), I'd not want to have concealed carry in a bar. Had I an unrestricted permit here, I'd shuck my weapon before I entered any bar. Not that I don't trust myself, but no matter what happened, the phrase "He had a couple drinks" WILL make the papers, even if it turned out that I shot some rapist intent on my wife. (Never mind I'm unmarried, but you get the point.)

You wouldn't go to the range trashed off your ass. You wouldn't go out and drive trashed off your ass; you'd wait. Not saying you'd have 8 beers and go on a tear while you were there, but the point stands.

Why bother? Ain't worth it.

My opinion and my opinion alone, I inserted the two pennies...
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#21]
We dont have any here.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:47:58 PM EDT
[#22]
The Taco Cabanas on Quadalupe,  Lamar, and in Cedar Park all have pretty good food and no signs.  Where is this one you were in?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:59:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Gang up on me if you will, but...I see their point.

Think about it; inhibitions are let down, perceptions are altered, etc. Speaking as a drinker, I can say this for a fact [:)]

Some normal nice folk turn into MEAN drunks. Some turn into happy drunks. Others just turn into...drunks.

As a business (and for plain old common sense purposes), I'd not want to have concealed carry in a bar. Had I an unrestricted permit here, I'd shuck my weapon before I entered any bar. Not that I don't trust myself, but no matter what happened, the phrase "He had a couple drinks" WILL make the papers, even if it turned out that I shot some rapist intent on my wife. (Never mind I'm unmarried, but you get the point.)

You wouldn't go to the range trashed off your ass. You wouldn't go out and drive trashed off your ass; you'd wait. Not saying you'd have 8 beers and go on a tear while you were there, but the point stands.

Why bother? Ain't worth it.

My opinion and my opinion alone, I inserted the two pennies...
View Quote

Nevada has no restrictions for CCW in bars and they dont have any problems. My .02
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:04:12 PM EDT
[#24]
If it doesnt have the 30.06 sign why even inquire?  They might be purposely posting signs that keep the sheeple happy, but knowingly allow concealed carry.  

Also, you might be putting ideas in their heads about decreeing 30.06 signs in all of their places.  In my Texas CHL class it was made clear that only a proper 30.06 sign applied to CHL carriers.  Happily ignore non 30.06 compliant signs.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#26]
[B]As long as a business doesn't derive over 51% of their income through alcohol, you can pack.[/B]

And that 51% is for alcohol sold and consumed on premises. Thats why you can carry in a resturant that serves alcohol but not in a bar. The law also requires a red 51(I think) sign posted on or about the front door in plain sight to alert you of this fact.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:27:37 PM EDT
[#28]
The signs posted at the ones I eat at here in San Antonio look pretty "real". Taco Cabana sells a *LOT* of margaritas and some beer, so I guess they could claim 51% income from alcohol at some locations.

I doubt that it's due to an anti-gun policy. Remember, restaurant owners also have to deal with the ATF, and it's generally best to err on the side of caution when it comes to complying with alcohol laws.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:43:51 PM EDT
[#29]
It is a private business and has the right to refuse service to anyone they want.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 3:47:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It is a private business and has the right to refuse service to anyone they want.
View Quote

NO! You are kidding! Can you prove that????
Here, let me attempt to make my point again.

Levi Jeans gives LOTS of money to anti gun groups who want to take ALL guns away from you.
Why would you buy Levi products?
Taco Cabana says YOU SUCK, you are BAD, THEY DON'T WANT your business. WHY would you go there OR think it's ok for other gun owners to go there?
I am so sad to see how many responses are here that say "So What, don's go there dude" and their food sucks etc.
Well please remember this when in YOUR lifetime you may find personal gun ownership a memory.
Are you even a member of the NRA, GOA  etc?
It's like saying the president sucks but you don't vote.
Small thing, don't sweat it?
Their plan is the death of a thousand little cuts. A million lawsuits to bankrupt the gun industry etc.
BT
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:52:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The signs posted at the ones I eat at here in San Antonio look pretty "real". Taco Cabana sells a *LOT* of margaritas and some beer, so I guess they could claim 51% income from alcohol at some locations.

I doubt that it's due to an anti-gun policy. Remember, restaurant owners also have to deal with the ATF, and it's generally best to err on the side of caution when it comes to complying with alcohol laws.
View Quote

If a business derives 51% or more of it's income from the sale and consumption of alcohol then it's [b]required[/b] by law to post a sign to that effect, the "51%" sign. That sign has the same force of law for a CHL holder as the "30.06" sign.

So typically you're OK carrying in restaurants such as Outback, Red Lobster, etc. But it's probably not going to be OK packing in Bennigan's (everyone I've been in has a "51%" sign).

edited because I punched the submit before I was done.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:28:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The Taco Cabanas on Quadalupe,  Lamar, and in Cedar Park all have pretty good food and no signs.  Where is this one you were in?
View Quote

I haven't seen any signs on the ones on Riverside and William Cannon either.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:57:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

NO! You are kidding! Can you prove that????
Here, let me attempt to make my point again.

Levi Jeans gives LOTS of money to anti gun groups who want to take ALL guns away from you.
Why would you buy Levi products?
Taco Cabana says YOU SUCK, you are BAD, THEY DON'T WANT your business. WHY would you go there OR think it's ok for other gun owners to go there?
I am so sad to see how many responses are here that say "So What, don's go there dude" and their food sucks etc.
Well please remember this when in YOUR lifetime you may find personal gun ownership a memory.
Are you even a member of the NRA, GOA  etc?
It's like saying the president sucks but you don't vote.
Small thing, don't sweat it?
Their plan is the death of a thousand little cuts. A million lawsuits to bankrupt the gun industry etc.
BT
View Quote

Damn dude, you don't quit do you.  A word of advice:

Don't come onto a firearm related website and start accusing people of not caring or doing enough about gun laws.  You have posted your topic and you got responses that you don't like, but you need to quit attacking people for not seeing it your way.  

I still don't give a shit that TACO CABANA will not let me pack in their establishments, and I will suggest again that you need to focus your efforts towards things that you have a say in.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:31:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Damn dude, you don't quit do you. A word of advice:
Don't come onto a firearm related website and start accusing people of not caring or doing enough about gun laws. You have posted your topic and you got responses that you don't like, but you need to quit attacking people for not seeing it your way.

I still don't give a shit that TACO CABANA will not let me pack in their establishments, and I will suggest again that you need to focus your efforts towards things that you have a say in.

My last post on this-
1- Many gun owners don't do enough or anything, that's fact. You yourself say you don't care.
2- I DO have a say in things in my State, I've lobbied and helped get laws passed or killed here.
Remeber in America there used to be signs saying no Blacks, Irish or Jews in some places but the PUBLIC said no.
BT
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:47:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:25:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Brooks-  How old are you?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:59:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Well, Taco Cabana's signs are not legal, and they cannot prevent CHL holders from packing in their establishments.  I don't care if they put some stupid (illegal) no guns sign.  They could put up a No Dogs sign, and I won't call them anti-dog.

Brooks, if you came on here saying you have confirmation that they donate to anti-gun organizations, then I'd back you on some kind of boycott.  

You're cryin wolf, when all it is, is a little mangy puppy.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2003 12:02:35 PM EDT
[#38]
My age? Implying I'm young and ________? Are we going for a personal attack?
I've stated my position and prefer to not turn this into a further protracted argument if that's ok.

I'm old enough to be retired from the military BTW.
BT
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#39]
whatever brooks, I'm tired of you and this post.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 12:26:32 PM EDT
[#40]
If the sign is not a 3006 ordinace... screw them the law says you can carry...
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 1:13:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If the sign is not a 3006 ordinace... screw them the law says you can carry...
View Quote

Not entirely incorrect. See my post above.

As an addendum to this conversation, there also are other [b]legal[/b] forms of giving notice as well as off-limit sites proscribed by law (schools, etc) that don't require signage of any kind. FWIW, BT was given legal notice because he was told not to carry in the establishment by a designated representative of the property owner.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:31:35 PM EDT
[#42]
I was in TC today grabbing a cheese enchalada dinner tonight in fact. I looked right at the "no guns" picture in the window and walked right past it. TC is not a 51% (at least the one I go to) business and there's no 30.06 signs anywhere. So screw'em. I sure as hell would not go in there after 10 at night cause the only people in there are drunk gangster punk asses. It's the perfect place to carry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top