Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/6/2016 2:23:01 AM EDT
Got a text from my daughter that titled SOS and a google map location.

I thought WTF is this.

Then I received another text that was addressed to me, my wife (her mother) our other daughter (her sister) and her BF.

"I need help" and with the google map location.

Next text was a random blurred picture

Then a recorded message that was titled EMERGENCY.

Then last text in the string was a blurred picture of her , that looked like she was falling or being pushed backwards and appeared to have a bloody nose.

After trying to decipher it all. I tried to call her.

It went straight to VM. Tried again, same thing.

I'm thinking something tragic has happened. CAr wreck, mugged, shot. Hell all kinda of things were racing thru my mind.

After twice not answering her phone, I called 911. Explained everything to them while I was on my way to her location from about maybe 10 miles away. THey said they would send a unit to that location .

So while driving like a dad would when their little girl is trouble or at least perceived to be, I made that 10 mile trip in about 6 minutes or so. I wouldnt have cared if a cop lit me up while I was doing 75 or 80 in a 45 mph zone. He could just follow me to where I was going and Id deal with it then.
And I didnt even know our company trucks would go that fast.

So on the way she text me back. "I don't know what that message was. I'm fine"

I called her right away. Heart still racing. She answers. I ask her where she is, what happened, stay where your at! I'm on my way. Oh and there may be a cop show up there.

I was still afraid that if she was kidnapped or something that whoever might be telling her with a gun to her head to say everything is ok.

She said she was inside the Walgreens. I said stay inside. She did.

Well just a couple minutes before I got there, 4 constables were already in the parking lot and had already made contact with her.

Turns out she was fine. Some emergency mode on her lock screen got clicked or however it sets it off.

Evidently it takes pictures and text them with SOS, I need HELP.............to maybe her favorites contacts list or something.

Scared the shit out of me.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 2:25:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Got a text from my daughter that titled SOS and a google map location.

I thought WTF is this.

Scared the shit out of me.
View Quote

Damn, that is scary as hell. Good that she has the App though, so in the end It may have turned out to be a false alarm, but sometimes you need a fire-drill to maintain readiness.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 2:25:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn man,glad it's all ok.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 2:26:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Damn, sounds scary. I didn't know phones will do all that automatically...and I managed cell phone stores for 12 years.

ETA: first three responses start with DAMN
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 2:26:51 AM EDT
[#4]
What kinda phone?  

Glad it turned out to be a false alarm.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 2:27:19 AM EDT
[#5]
How do you get a phone to do that?
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 2:28:24 AM EDT
[#6]
That really blows!  I accidentally did that to my wife when I first got my s5.  Sent some giant weird face pics and text.  Turned that shit off quickly.  You hit the side key like 3 times quickly or something.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 2:28:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Kinda cool feature, what kinda phone does she have

Glad everything turned out OK, I can't even imagine how you where feeling.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 2:29:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Fuck that, she needs to turn that app off if she hasn't already.

That's a good way to cause you to crash and die or kill someone else because of another non-emergency.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 2:32:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I think its a Samsung edge phone.

She didnt know she had it on there and was fumbling with her phone getting out of the truck to go in the store. I guess she hit the right combo of buttons to set it off.

She also was watching my 7 yo son today and he was with her then. Even more scarier.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 2:33:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fuck that, she needs to turn that app off if she hasn't already.

That's a good way to cause you to crash and die or kill someone else because of another non-emergency.
View Quote

IDK. I think its good to have for her. But definitely needs to figure out what makes it tick for sure.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 2:34:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd be using that phone for target practice right now.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 2:36:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Even though she said she was fine and it was an accident I still thought the worst.

I guess we need to come up with a secret code word or phrase that wouldnt tip off a guy holding a gun to your head and making you say stuff.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 2:37:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

She didnt know she had it on there and was fumbling with her phone getting out of the truck to go in the store. I guess she hit the right combo of buttons to set it off.

She also was watching my 7 yo son today and he was with her then. Even more scarier.
View Quote

I'm assuming either a Galaxy S6 or S7 Edge.

I just Googled and found info on the SoS setting: http://gs6.wonderhowto.com/how-to/use-sos-feature-your-galaxy-s6-case-emergency-0161449/

That says it's for the S6, but I have an S7 and doing the same steps also works.

Link Posted: 6/6/2016 2:38:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ill have to ask next time shes over.

I think on her unlock screen that she has to swipe some dots a certain way or whatever, the emergency mode is at the bottom of that.

But not real sure.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 2:40:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I think on her unlock screen that she has to swipe some dots a certain way or whatever, the emergency mode is at the bottom of that.

But not real sure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But not real sure.

That's just emergency contacts for LEO or EMS finding you dead/unconscious.  Look at my link above.

Link Posted: 6/6/2016 2:44:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I just Googled and found info on the SoS setting: http://gs6.wonderhowto.com/how-to/use-sos-feature-your-galaxy-s6-case-emergency-0161449/

That says it's for the S6, but I have an S7 and doing the same steps also works.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea it was just like those last screen shots.

And now I remeber her saying something about the power button and she may have hit it thinking she was restarting her phone.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 2:48:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Swamp gas.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 2:48:50 AM EDT
[#18]
You need to FIX THAT Telephone.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 2:49:13 AM EDT
[#19]
She hit the side button 3 times. My wife did it accidently when we were drunk and going to lay down to have boom boom time at 1 am. Seems her mom and sister got in on the action.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 2:49:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

And now I remeber her saying something about the power button and she may have hit it thinking she was restarting her phone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just read the comments below the tutorial.  It seems it triggers on its own sometimes.  Kinda sucks, because it could be a useful feature.  But false alarms would be a pain in the ass, as you found out.

Link Posted: 6/6/2016 2:55:42 AM EDT
[#21]
So, all I got out of this thread was:

MASSIVE ADRENALINE DUMP
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 2:57:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Well that's fucked up.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:05:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Whats even more, as I was reading the text and seeing the pic of her nose appearing bloody and the "I Need Help",

was that I was hearing her saying I need help in a crying, scared voice in my mind.

Oh and the bloody nose. She was swimming all day at her sisters and her nose was red . Sunburned.

But with a blurred pic it looked just like someone put a fist into it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:09:26 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

So, all I got out of this thread was:

MASSIVE ADRENALINE DUMP
View Quote

This!

Sounds scary as fuck. Glad she is okay.

Link Posted: 6/6/2016 4:12:06 AM EDT
[#25]
sounds like (1) we all need to better understand the technology (who knew?), and (2) an unintended drill  that went well.
keep staying safe.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 4:24:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Jesus, man!  As a father of a daughter, I can imagine how you felt. Very glad it was all an accident and that she was okay.  A blast like that to the old ticker might have cashed in a few years!!!
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 4:26:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Never heard of that before. Glad everything was ok.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 4:35:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Grounded.
2 weeks.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 4:49:17 AM EDT
[#29]
I ran across a personal security app yesterday. It's like a dead-man switch for your phone.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/safetrek-hold-until-safesm/id716262008?mt=8
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 4:59:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Grounded.
2 weeks.
View Quote

Ha!  

Girl has lost her mind if she thinks her dad won't track her ass down.  After a scare like this, even though not her fault, my daughter would probably lose her walkabout privileges. 16 or 60, doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 5:08:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Glad for a positive outcome.  I can't imagine the stress you went through.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 5:53:09 AM EDT
[#32]
I wonder if there is a similar app for the iPhone ? ? ?

I've tried to get the wife to switch to Android but she won't let loose of her damned iPhone.

Link Posted: 6/6/2016 5:59:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Glad no one got injured or killed because of this app.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 6:19:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Jeez that's terrifying!  I'm glad everyone is ok!
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 6:28:23 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

The app should send the info to the police.

Link Posted: 6/6/2016 6:53:40 AM EDT
[#36]

FWIW, you reacted accordingly. But damn, what a screwed up false alarm.

Glad everyone, including yourself, is ok.

Link Posted: 6/6/2016 7:00:04 AM EDT
[#37]
How exactly does a phone send out multiple map locations and emergency "SOS" texts to multiple people by itself?

It would seem it would need explicit instruction from the user of the phone to do that. Seems kinda odd to be an "oops" sort of thing.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 7:07:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 7:07:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
How exactly does a phone send out multiple map locations and emergency "SOS" texts to multiple people by itself?

It would seem it would need explicit instruction from the user of the phone to do that. Seems kinda odd to be an "oops" sort of thing.
View Quote

You set it up for it to contact certain people you want it to. She pushed the side button 3 times quickly, by accident. The phone didn't do it by itself
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 7:14:36 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

You set it up for it to contact certain people you want it to. She pushed the side button 3 times quickly, by accident. The phone didn't do it by itself
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It might then need some refinement to avoid false alarms that send others in to a state of sheer panic.

Link Posted: 6/6/2016 7:21:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It might then need some refinement to avoid false alarms that send others in to a state of sheer panic.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

3 times maybe a bit low. Maybe 5+ times.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 7:27:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

like what? A password? The button is meant to be pushed once to light up your phone and held down to get to the phone to the menu to turn off or restart. Pushing it 3 times takes some effort. It's designed to be easy to just point and click at a threat. You don't need to make it difficult in a time like that. You keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire, same thing don't click the button 3 times.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 7:31:15 AM EDT
[#43]
"I'm glad your daughter has Life Alert.  That's why I wear one too!"

Link Posted: 6/6/2016 7:39:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Butt-911

Glad she's OK.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 7:44:24 AM EDT
[#45]
turn that feature off it's a waste of everyone's time and $
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 7:44:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Grounded.
2 weeks.
View Quote

Dude's daughter actually made him one of her emergency contacts and you think that deserves a 2 week grounding?  I'm also assuming OP's daughter is an adult, so there's that.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 7:45:27 AM EDT
[#47]
How does one turn such garbage off?
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 7:48:07 AM EDT
[#48]
I'd be fucking pissed.not at your daughter but at the whole situation.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 7:50:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
like what? A password? The button is meant to be pushed once to light up your phone and held down to get to the phone to the menu to turn off or restart. Pushing it 3 times takes some effort. It's designed to be easy to just point and click at a threat. You don't need to make it difficult in a time like that. You keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire, same thing don't click the button 3 times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the average stock trigger?  5.5 lbs?    All phones should be carried in durable holsters other than flimsy nylon.    Holsters should not trigger any device.  

All the same should apply to phones and cases.

Link Posted: 6/6/2016 8:18:09 AM EDT
[#50]
What Kit for SOS message? Did you bring Body Armor?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top