Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2003 3:14:55 PM EDT
I want to buy the DVD but not in LBX/Widescreen. I tried amazon, but they only have the widescreen format. Anyone know where I can get a double sided DVD or a non widescreen DVD? I don't plan on getting a new TV for a while.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:20:20 PM EDT
[#1]
You don't need a new TV to view widescreen, it just leaves a black band on the top and bottom of the screen.

My personal opinion is that pan and scan versions "full screen" versions, end up cutting images out of the screen that the director intended you to see.  Often, during conversations, what you lose is the reactions of one of the people in the conversation who was cut out in favor of the speaker.

In action or visual sequences, you lose details off on the sides that may actually mean something or be clues to what's going on...or just nice "local color."

Editted to add:

Additionally, fullscreen versions are re-editted to fit your screen by some hack who didn't have enough talent, vision, drive, etc. to actually be a director or feature editor.  So take that for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, what iceman said.
ALSO, you shoud always get widescreen DVD's because thay actually give you a choice of formats. If you press the "zoom" button on a widescreen disc, it chops off the left and right of the picture and fills your screen with the remainder. This is EXACTLY what you see with a fullscreen disc.

I'd rather watch in widescreen and see the full picture, it's the way to go unless you have a 19" or smaller TV. But each has their preference, and widescreen discs give you the choice, as nearly all DVD players have zoom controls now.

That said, I'm in the movie business in NH... if you have trouble getting something, either I can get it or it's an E-bay only item. IM me.

Snowmaster
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm sure thats all true, but it looks like crappy on my Sony Wega. Must be almost a foot of black on the top and bottom. I'd trade the artistic purity to get rid of the black, it drives my nuts.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:36:57 PM EDT
[#4]
A gazillian buttons on my remote for sony DVP-C675D but no zoom. IM sent
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:58:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top