Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2003 9:12:17 AM EDT
I am considering a used Durango, but would like to know owners opinions. I have always been a S10/15 Chevy/GMC driver. Why Durango? Small size good power, and as far as mpg's go my other option is a Yukon. So tell me what you know I am not intrested in Ford, and not sure if I want a rice burner SUV?
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:07:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Well after having one in the family, I really wouldnt recommend one.  

+:
Lots of power (318 or 360)
Comfortable front seats
Good sound system

-:
Fuel economy (around 10 - 12mpg)
Back seat comfort (there is none)
Rattles in the dash
Buttons failing that can only be replaced by the dealer

All in all, I wouldnt recommend it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:15:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Get a Toyota Sequoia.  A ton of room, lots of power, and awesome realiabilty.  I sell Toyotas and IF you can afford em, you can't go wrong.

Msrp on a 4x4 SR5 Sequoia is about 41k.  Invoice is about 37k or so.  Expect to pay $500 over invoice.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:22:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:25:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a Dodge Ram 4x4 & a buddy of mine had a Durango. We both had a slew of mickey mouse problems. Small plastic pieces constantly falling off or breaking. I'll never own a Dodge product again.

Buy a Toyota, any Toyota.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:32:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Disadvantages: Rides like a truck, has less interior room than some minivans*, half the fuel mileage for twice the price.

Advantages: Good off-road performance, good crashworthyness.

*Die-hard truck enthusiasts will wince at my comparision to a minivan, but as a people-mover, that's arguably the closest match. (Anyone else notice how the Durango rear end looks like it was ripped off a Caravan?).
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Fuel economy (around 10 - 12mpg)
View Quote

What do you do?  Keep the gas pedal floored while in neutral?

I get 15mpg around the city (LOT'S of stop and go) and about 17 on the highway.  That's with the big 360 on a loaded out Durango.

I would definitely buy another if I wanted another SUV.  I have 72k miles on mine with zero problems.

'99, BTW.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:46:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:49:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 12:29:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmm 50/50 on it? I will need to think on this one? Toyo huh I heard good things on them as well but not ure I like their price tag. Plus this will be bought used either way. Most likely a CMaxx deal?
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 12:35:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I love mine.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Suppose to be nice SUV's. Have a look at the Toyota RAV4 and the slightly larger Honda CRV.
View Quote

Naw I dont consider thoses SUV's just big dune buggies :) No offence to any owners, but it must be at least the size of my S15 Jimmy, and min V6 my 4.3 Votec is nice and proven.

Link Posted: 5/19/2003 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My wife has a 99 Durango that we brought brand new. Was in a pretty bad wreck 1 month to the day after we bought it. My wife, myself, and our 5 month old son all walked away unscathed other than some soreness and bruises. It has been an outstanding vehicle and we have had zero problems with it, even after the bad wreck. Back seat fits me fine and I'm 6'1". Heck, I dont even mind riding in the 3rd row seat. We are looking to trade ours in towards the end of this year because my wife does a lot of running for her work, and its starting to show its age, combined with the fact that she works at a concrete plant, so its not under the best of conditions. Then factor in that our two boys are MUCH bigger now, when you put all 4 of us and the 2 dogs and just a little bit of luggage in, we are packed. We just need something bigger.
The 2000 and newer Durango's will have the 4.7 in them instead of the 5.2/318. I had the 4.7 in my Dakota that I traded in and it is heads above the 318. Great motor. I cant really think of anything bad to say about the Durango. FWIW, hers is a 4x4 with a few mods to the motor for extra ponies, and we get about 15 or so mpg around town, about 16-16.5 on the highway.
View Quote

Hey, just wondering what a "pretty bad wreck" is to you?  I can't imaging being in a pretty bad wreck and having a vehicle that is repairable.  

We were looking at a used ('00-'01) Grand Cherokee or Durango recently because my wife was rear ended in a 5 car pileup that totalled 3 vehicles, including her Honda Accord.  Crash ratings according to IIHS (www.iihs.org) showed them both to be poor performers in a crash.  Also, reliability ratings from Consumer Reports show both of them to be below average.  

We decided on a new Honda Pilot, it is "expected" to get the same IIHS 5 star rating as the Acura MDX it is based on and I would expect to see above average reliability like most Hondas.  The Accord also got the 5 star rating but the Pilot is quite heavier and has pretty good power and room inside, although the third row is a bit cramped.  

Link Posted: 5/19/2003 3:28:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Landcruiser. Wonderful vehicle. They seem to last forever.

TT
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 3:28:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well after having one in the family, I really wouldnt recommend one.  

+:
Lots of power (318 or 360)
Comfortable front seats
Good sound system

-:
[red]Fuel economy (around 10 - 12mpg)[/red]
Back seat comfort (there is none)
Rattles in the dash
Buttons failing that can only be replaced by the dealer

All in all, I wouldnt recommend it.
View Quote

Thats why I just got rid of mine!!
Over priced and MPG sucks!!
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 3:30:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 3:37:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Suppose to be nice SUV's. Have a look at the Toyota RAV4 and the slightly larger Honda CRV.
View Quote

Naw I dont consider thoses SUV's just big dune buggies :) No offence to any owners, but it must be at least the size of my S15 Jimmy, and min V6 my 4.3 Votec is nice and proven.

View Quote

Amen to the S-series. 92 "vortec" 4x4 blazer here.
Kinda hard to beat the 4.3 or 350 engine matched up to a 700r4 tranny.

Edit to say: My mom's 92 dodge dakota has 150K on original engine/tranny, so I'd say dodge has at least has their drivetrains down (In their trucks) but she's had to replace just about everything else, twice. Dodge seems to attract certified mechanics who don't know what there doing.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 3:40:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 3:47:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

it fits a metric assload of cargo with the second and third rows of seats folded down
I would buy another one.
View Quote

How much ass is actually in a metric assload?
[shock] that much?  
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#21]
If your only options are Durango or Yukon  (how about Tahoe?) Avoid Durango.

I've never ridden in a Durango, but  have done a LOT of wrecks with them.  Soccer moms buy them by the hundreds.  The passenger compartment may be safe,  but they roll in a side collision.  One with as little as a 24 MPH side impact ended up on the roof. Single vehicle roll overs are a problem,  but that's more driver than vehicle. (To be fair,  this is a problem with the entire vehicle class, and just not Durangos.) Several collisions where the front tires intrude thru the floorboards have been noted by other officers,  I have not seen this myself.

Next, in minor collisions I see a shocking amount of damage, especially if the bumpers mismatch. I have seen Durangos damaged in parking lots fender benders (15mph and under) where the bill went over 5K.

Tahoes by comparision,  cost about the same,  are much more stable, (especially if you tow)  and withstand damage better,  especially catastrophic damage. A very well built truck.

I've seen enough of Durangos that if I won one tomorrow in a contest I'd drive it straight down to a dealership and trade it for a used 3/4 ton pickup.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 6:29:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a 2001 Durango 2WD with the 5.9L that has been absolutely AWESOME.
And I would have to disagree with the above mentioned comment: "rides like a truck"...(mine rides like a large passenger car...very smooth)

Gets around 15mpg.
Has plenty of room (front, and back seat)...and it has fold down 3rd row seating.
Lots of cargo space.
Good power.

I have had no problems with mine.
I would buy another one
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top