Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2003 5:09:01 PM EDT

Chubby Pooch Missing Since March

POSTED: 4:06 p.m. EDT May 18, 2003

AUBURN, Ala. -- Stray dogs show up all the time around Auburn University in Alabama. They don't usually belong 800 miles away in Kansas.

But that was the case with Norman, a beagle who wandered away from his home in Solomon, Kan., in March. He showed up on the Auburn campus Friday. If he walked all the way, he'd have had to average about 20 miles a day.

Staffers checked the dog's collar and found a tag with the name of his Kansas hometown on it. They called City Hall in Solomon, and the astounded city clerk recognized their description of the chubby beagle.

Norman's owner, Jennifer Cross, says she was crying too hard to keep on teaching her class after she got the news that her dog had been found.

The Crosses hadn't planned to take a vacation this year, but now it looks like they'll be driving to Alabama to fetch Norman.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I nominate this "Post of the Day"
I love dogs.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:55:08 PM EDT
[#3]
<----- Shoot!  800 miles ain't nuthin'!!
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

So how far have you gone Johnny?[:D]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:58:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't believe it!  Somebody picked that dog up and kept it for a while, possibly a hunter. The dog was gone for 2 months, walked 800 miles and was still a "chubby beagle."  No way!
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Some husband is sitting at home tonight thinking, "I knew I should have shot that damn dog!"
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:12:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

So how far have you gone Johnny?[:D]
View Quote

He hasn't gone far lately.  Not since I learned to keep the keys up out of his reach.[;)]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:18:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some husband is sitting at home tonight thinking, "I knew I should have shot that damn dog!"
View Quote
And there is a Kansas jackrabbit hiding in the bushes at Auburn University thinking "I thought I'd never ditch that damn beagle"
View Quote

Or, is the rabit breathing hard in Seattle, think he would never shake that dog?
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:16:58 PM EDT
[#11]
As a beagle owner, I can confidently say that beagles are crazy.

Mine likes to eat those big crunchy "june bugs" (I don't know the technical term).  A couple nights ago he puked up miscellaneous parts of about 10 of them.  The very next night he was outside crunching on them again.  *crunch* *crunch*  Those things make me shudder.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They called City Hall in Solomon, and the astounded city clerk recognized their description of the chubby beagle.
View Quote

Fat-assed dog jumped in someones vehicle lookin' fer a snack, I'll wager!

Norman's owner, Jennifer Cross, says she was crying too hard to keep on teaching her class after she got the news that her dog had been found.
View Quote

NEA members.......any excuse to go to shit. How much sympathy would this evoke if it was a [b]kitten[/b]? [;D]

The Crosses hadn't planned to take a vacation this year, but now it looks like they'll be driving to Alabama to fetch Norman.
View Quote

I'm freaking touched. Why can't the mutt get back on his own!!!
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 2:03:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

NEA members.......any excuse to go to shit. How much sympathy would this evoke if it was a [b]kitten[/b]? [;D]

Lots from me, Paper loves kitties!

Meow

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top